New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I was being nice to my nephew for Christmas. He was given a new .223 for christmas by the rest of the family, i figured that i would buy him a bunch of ammo to let shoot for a while, bad decision. I bought 2 boxes of winchester ammo in the white box(40 rounds). MY BAD!. His gun will not pattern the bullets(3 scopes on 2 different guns[my brother also has the same gun]) The bullets are all over the place. MOROL::: More is not always better.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I thought that I was being nice to my nephew for Christmas. He was given a new .223 for christmas by the rest of the family, i figured that i would buy him a bunch of ammo to let shoot for a while, bad decision. I bought 2 boxes of winchester ammo in the white box(40 rounds). MY BAD!. His gun will not pattern the bullets(3 scopes on 2 different guns[my brother also has the same gun]) The bullets are all over the place. MOROL::: More is not always better.
Never had a problem w/ the white boxed winny ammo!!
Ya best be checkin that rifle & scope over real good!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also have a 223 and from what I was told the amount of turns down the barrel will make a difference in what ammo you can use. I was told for my gun I am to use less than a 65 grain to keep a good group. some of the guns need a heaver grain bullet to get a good group. it would not hurt to look into that and go from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the barrel twist against the ammo, caled for a 1 in 9 twist or slower, gun has 1 in 9 twist. That should not be a problem, bullets are super quick(3600fps) may be too much for the smaller bullet?? we are going to get some heavier bullets and try them out. There is no way that 2 guns(the same) with 3 different scopes ( 2 Bushnells and one Nikon) on each one is going to same thing unless it is the ammo.
Both guns are Stevens mode 200 in .223. Brand new.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Every now and then you will find a combo that a particular gun doesn't like. I've had great luck with the white box ammo ..... It's 45 or 55 grain I suspect so twist is not the issue.

You may want to suggest he give the gun a good cleaning. Lots of guys get a new rifle and hit the range without even running a rod through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts