New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
didnt take to long and we got one! i play hockey in Campbellton and if you dont know there is no deer season here and the closest open zone in saint Quinten area. So me and my buddy decided we may as well give it a try on our day off. we both hunted at our homes ( saint john and fredericton) for a few days last week on time off and never could get one. so our billet was nice enough to tell us the area he hunts on wednesday night so we figured we would try it. so we set the alarm for 5am and drove for a while and made it SQ at about 620 er so and started down the private timber land road. we eventually arrived at the spot he told us and we got out and started walkin in the hardwoods untill we found a deer trail and we sat on it all morning but didnt see anything except a few woodpeckers and squirrels. then in the afternoon we sat on another spot a litttle ways away but another hunter was still hunting the area and didnt see us till very close so we decided we would move to a newer area ( very close to the morning place). so we head back to that place and we were lookin for a spot with decent visability becasue we are no in a tree stand. my friend notices a scrape on the ground but not very fresh so we debated whether to stay or not. well we decided to stay so he sat at the base of one tree and i layed down flat on the ground and wasnt 5 minutes passin out. about 45 minutes or an hour later i was wokin up by my buddy whispering at me and sat up to listen...he said theres a buck right there! sure enough i look up and we a whitetail walking groadside but through to heavy of cover and then i see horns. just then he turns and started coming right for us at a very fast walk. i had just grabbed my gun and he was coming stright on so i was thinking a neck shot but as soon as i was about to fire at 15 yards he got behind a tree so a waiting and lucky enough he started walking towards me and the right which was in the direct path of my buddy. i gave him a little grunt to stop him and about a ten yard shot did the trick on him. he was only 7 or 8 yards from my buddy and was to busy smellin his scrapes he ddint even notice! aways he ran about 75-100 yards and crashed. awesome hunt and nice to get one with limited oppertunitys to go out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't hold out on us, what was it for a buck????

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great thanks for addin the pick...4 point id say 130 or 40 dressed but i dont have much experiance judgin the weight...all i no is he was a ***** to drag out lol

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I was in and around KM 8, got in at dark, got out at dark, from St-Quentin's side. Other than that, I'm not too familiar with the area, went in with my cousin who knows the area well, not my regular haunts.

Maybe you got the buck that was coming in to my calling haha!

Had a deer shot below me at the base of a ridge in around 430PM. There were a couple of scrapes and a couple of rubs at the junction of the logging trail and the bird's road where I found the gut pile...wonder if it's same deer?

If it is, awful glad you got it!

Doubt it though, 'cause you would have heard me rattling like a freak up above! LOL! I gave it all out last nite with a very aggressive rattling / grunting sequence.

Great deer! Fun stuff!

57 deer registered at St-Q Irving's way up from last year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont think it was the same one becasue i was quite a few km's away from 8..but it was i wouldnt have heard you aways...to busy sleeping lol

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts