·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lily gave birth yesterday to 2 cubs! or at least they believe it is 2, at this time.

I followed Lily's story quite closely last year.
I had quite a few misconceptions about bears in hibernation, before watching the den cam last year!
First misconception...I thought bears mostly slept! wrong!! haha
Last January, Lily gave birth to one cub, Hope. Hope kept her awake most of the time, between feeding & bathing her. Lily rarely had a chance to sleep.

For anyone that didn't follow this last year.....Lily & Hope became separated last summer and Lily went into estrus. Once she had her "fun" with the "boys", she became re-united with the cub.
Even at the Bear Center they were uncertain how Lily would re-act being re-united with her young, but to everyone's surprise, she accepted Hope again & spent the rest of the summer with the cub and they denned together this fall. Once they re-united the next question was if Lily was pregnant and what would happen when she gave birth while still having Hope with her.

Earlier today, ppl caught a glimpe of big sister Hope cleaning one of the cubs!

If you click on the den cam right now, you're not going to see too much.(Lily's back) Lily is keeping the cubs tucked well under her. You will hear their soft hum (kinda like a purr) while they are feeding, but if Lily moves or is bathing them, you will definitely hear their very noticeable screams! haha

Last year, I had to wait..hmm..a week or maybe two weeks before I actually caught my first live glimpse. Lily has already given viewers a few glimpses!

Hard to believe that an animal that size goes through such heavy labour to give birth to something that weighs under 1 lb!! Last year she was in labor for just shy of 22 hours, this year just shy of 21 hours!

If any of you are on facebook, there is a Lily Black Bear page. There are thousands of ppl that have been following the story since last year. Just bear in mind if you check out the facebook page...the majority of followers are against hunters! Even the Bear Centre has had to come on & moderate some of the posts and defend hunters! haha

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Wow CG, that's some seriously stimulating television, I can't imagine watching more than 21, 22 hours a day of that...

It would be cool to see the cubs and how they interact, but the couple of times I've checked it out, I've seen exactly what I would expect to see, a sleeping bear.. hehe

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol...I didn't actually sit in front of the puter for that long watching labor!

By the end of February, you'll see the cubs alot more...right now it's just a matter of clicking on it at the right time when Lily is stretching that you'll see the cubs!

Last year they set up archives with a list of days/times that you could see the cubs. So you could go right to the action and didn't have to sit staring at a black bears rearend.

Hopefully they do the same again this year!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a short clip of Lily (momma bear), Hope (last years cub) and the 2 new cubbies.

Lily & cubs

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I take it back, that was pretty awesome. A lot better than when I click on it at 1AM and the bears are doing what I thought all bears did this time of year

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have a 12 hour shift to put in so I guess I'll be sleeping with the bears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts