New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.... I have been a visitor to this site and have finally "bit the bullet".. I have been hunting periodically for the last 20 years but have been wanting to get serious... The biggest reason I haven't been able to keep my intrest is that I can't seem to locate deer in the woods... I live in the woods so to speak, and see deer all the time along the roadway but when I go in the woods nada or nearly nada..... Where do I look for concentrated areas of deer???? I have clear cuts,old clear cuts, Irving roads, and heavy woods all within my hunting area.... Do i bait to get get them in my area? Am I looking in the wrong area??? just looking for pointers.
Thanks to all in advance...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im no veteran or anything but i find the best way is to find a spot that you figure will have some deer hanging around, put out some salt licks and alot of apples, leave a trailcam watching the bait and check it once a week to see what is there.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Talk a walk in the woods but don't concentrate primarily on looking for deer, Look for Quality deer sign (tracks, droppings, old rub lines, etc)
Look for/in an area that has what a deer needs most - Food(water) and Cover(security)

I like to scout alder/cedar swamp areas boardering some higher and drier ground.

Ridges that run along thicker older growth areas i find are also prime areas.

Once you find a likley area, check around for the most used trails and setup outside the deers main area and then wait em out...

If you hit an area where you spook deer in the day, move out., look for where they are moving to and from this area (bedding) and set up away from the area(get out of their bed room
)

·
Registered
270 Posts
You have to spend alot of time hunting/ scouting a large "woods area". Not like hunting on a farm. Deer numbers are lower, and in my experience they are in scattered pockets. Keep at it and over time you will notice your deer sightings are generally around the same areas. I have also found, do some walking around in you areas after snow, either during the season or a few weeks after, look for well travelled trails, fresh scrapes, and mark these spots on a map or your GPS- you will find the deer will generally be back in the same spots year to year. A salt lick may work, but you should do your homework first to find a spot that normally holds a few deer before you put it out. I liken hunting deer in "the woods" to fishing a lake - they say in a lake 95% of the fish are in 5 % of the lake, same with deer. If you focus your efforts on the 5% of the ground where the deer live, you will up your odds signifigantly.
Don't know if this will help you or not, but it's worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts