New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a question concerning etiquette of the location of duck blinds. There are a couple places in the Nerepis/Grand Bay area where I'm looking to hunt. They are legal distance from houses etc, but are in visible locations, and about 230 meters or so from the dwellings. What is the etiquette of hunting locations such as these? Would they be considered too close to civilization? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

·
Registered
259 Posts
It may irk some people if you hunt there, but its perfectly legal. In those areas its would be best you to set your watch to the proper time as opposed to the folks who start half an hour early and shoot well after the end of legal. I'd rather have someone shoot on my front lawn away from homes towards a safe back stop then set up the required minimum distance and shoot back towards homes particularly with a rifle but common sense isn't so common.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i would go talk to the people and let them know what your doing and also inform them that it is legal distance to hunt there

will give you a feel for how they will react!

might save you some hassel opening day or during the season
just what i would do.....has worked out for me in the past!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd have to agree with mr November as there could be a few things that could be in play here. If you speak to the nearby home owners you'll get an idea of where they are at. Even if your over 200 meters and there are complaints there are other things/accustaions that could be levelled at you such as dangerous use of a firearm. I know that's a bit overboard but consider this. If you were hunting deer with a rifle and were 500 meters away from the nearest dwelling but shooting back towards the dwelling that could go bad or a person. That's my take any way.

BG

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
If your legal distance, your fine.... for sure..

but as the others suggest, it doesn't take much to at least let the people who may be affected know you plan to hunt there..

Looks good not only on you but hunters as a whole...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
good point mu'in

I have found that people appreciate that you take the time to ask or inform them!

just might surprise you!

as i said....has always worked for me in the past!

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Good info guys,Hunting is not about getting everyone rilled up...Even private land that's not posted,it's always smart to ask owner first,

AG

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it's the super tight spot in Grand Bay I am thinking about, there is one set of guys who have hunted in that exact spot for seven years or more, and the neighbours are none too friendly, but that's their problem. They do call the police/wardens from time to time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As long as you are legal distance you are fine... I've hunted in areas like this and have been called on before.... The boys came out and checked my licence and told me to keep hammering away and wished me luck... Make sure you abid by the rules extra carefully to ensure no issues.

You could talk to the people but if it isn't their land not 100% necessary either..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts