New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering what you might might find to be the best long range caliber. i would be interested in getting into the long range shooting sport,here are some of the calibers im looking at. 7mmRUM,300RUM and maybe the .338 lapua. Now keep in mind i would like to use this rifle as a big game rifle as well. I also do hand loads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking like 5,6,700 ect yard shooting and basically any kind of game from deer to moose to caribou and bear. I would like to put a huskemaw on top of this rifle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any of those 3 will do at that yardage, but the Lapua will be the heavy hitter of the 3. It will be the most expensive to load too, Lapua brass is harder to come buy & isn't cheap, but it is super high quality.
If you are looking for something that you can also use for hunting some big game but still have some shooting long range I would suggest meeting right in the middle of the 3 and going with the 300. It will still give you good distance but will not blow the crap out of whatever you are shooting for big game depending on the load you are shooting.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would like to put a huskemaw on top of this rifle
Dont over look the King Optics Highlanders As Well!! Very Nice Scopes!!

I have a 300RUM in remmy 700 w/ laminated thumbhole stock/stainless bbl. Topped it with an elite 6500 50mm....she will really step out there....at a price though of course!!(factory offerings are close to $100/box with taxes n shipping)

At 90 - 105 grains of powder even reloading it aint that cheap!

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you are serious about doing some long range shooting and pinpoint accuracy way out there is what you are after then I personally would look for something in a short action, long barrel from a high end manufacturer and mortgage the farm for the optics.
If you are leaning towards a hunting rifle then you are going to have to give up a little in long range accuracy, if you are leaning towards a long range target rifle then you are going to give up a little in handling and ease of use in the field. (long and heavy). Everythings a compromise.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't believe no one suggested a 50 cal.

I saw a rem 700 in 338 lapua shake loose the crosshairs on an elite 3200 in 3 shots. The dust it kicked up when shot prone was quite a sight as well.

It was cool for sure but I dunno if I'd hunt with it.

There's lots of choices out there ..... Don't forget 308, 300 winmag, 6.5x55, etc etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I bought a Remington 700 in .308 for long range shooting. Plan on doing some shoots this summer out to 600m. I'll probably try the further distances at the shoots but will have to get some different loads to get past the 800m range.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I bought a Remington 700 in .308 for long range shooting. Plan on doing some shoots this summer out to 600m. I'll probably try the further distances at the shoots but will have to get some different loads to get past the 800m range.
.308 is well known to be at the very top of the accuracy list. Hard to beat the .308 action if you want to hit something a long way off. Nice short action and a relatively heavy bullet. There not the fastest cartridge or the flattest shooter, just reliability and consistancy.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think you should spend some time over to longrangehunting.com or the snipers hide, you wont find many using huskemaw or king optics, just sayin,hehe.
I would go on the lapua site, find a caliber that suits you for brass they make and go from there.....
Lapua brass is easy to get and is actually cheaper if you consider the number of reloads you can get from them.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hirsch precision(nova scotia) is the canadian importer for lapua, I have ordered brass from them, and had it in two days...
A quick search shows a 338gibbs, wich is a maxed out 338~06ai version, lapua sells 06 brass, it gives 338 win mag performance, would be an easy swap in any model 700~06 rifle, cycle good, and be a great carry rifle!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts