New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking for a 243 Bolt action. Doesn't have to have a scope but if it does that is fine. Decent shape as I do understand that rifles get used. Send pics to [email protected] as well as a price. Thanks for taking the time to look at the post.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking for a 243 Bolt action. Doesn't have to have a scope but if it does that is fine. Decent shape as I do understand that rifles get used. Send pics to [email protected] as well as a price. Thanks for taking the time to look at the post.
Check out a new savage egde, my brother just bought one in 223 , for the money they cant be beat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check out a new savage egde, my brother just bought one in 223 , for the money they cant be beat.
I'd avoid the Edges for another year or so, until Savage gets the magazine plastic locking tab breakage and bolt problems worked out.
So far this fall, my local gunsmith has had over 10 Edges in with bolt problems. The local dealer is starting to get edge magazines back with a broken locking tab, or worse, the tab broke and the mag fell out and is now lost in the woods. The magazines are apparently very hard to get for whatever reason.

The Stevens 200 IMHO is a far superior rifle for about the same price. All of the bugs have been worked out for decades.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a Stevens 200 in 223 and really like it. However I do want a 243 with the wooden stock.....call me old fashion but I just like the look of them better...nothing against the synthetic stocks just my preference for a deer rifle. My 308 has a MOnte Carlo stock and I really like the looks of that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i like my a-bolt 243 also.my reason for answering is that savage has now changed the name savage edge to..thesavage axis for 2011

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd avoid the Edges for another year or so, until Savage gets the magazine plastic locking tab breakage and bolt problems worked out.
So far this fall, my local gunsmith has had over 10 Edges in with bolt problems. The local dealer is starting to get edge magazines back with a broken locking tab, or worse, the tab broke and the mag fell out and is now lost in the woods. The magazines are apparently very hard to get for whatever reason.

The Stevens 200 IMHO is a far superior rifle for about the same price. All of the bugs have been worked out for decades.
Wow, wasnt aware of the bolt issue, what is the problem exactly? I have a stevens and a 12fvss, both the traditional stlye, maybe they should have left a good thing alone.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow, wasnt aware of the bolt issue, what is the problem exactly? I have a stevens and a 12fvss, both the traditional stlye, maybe they should have left a good thing alone.
Not sure of the proper term but there is a "button" on the bolt that on many is too thin, therefore it doesn't cock.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a Stevens 200 in 223 and really like it. However I do want a 243 with the wooden stock.....call me old fashion but I just like the look of them better...nothing against the synthetic stocks just my preference for a deer rifle. My 308 has a MOnte Carlo stock and I really like the looks of that.
Boyd's have very nice wood stocks for under $100.00. Get a Stevens and the stock and away you go. If you can find an older model 200 the stock is pretty much drop in otherwise you have to do some work to get it to work on the new model 200s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts