New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am just looking for some advice as what to do. I was at the Fredericton gunshow in september 2009 and I had just received my PAL. I didn't really know much about guns or how the registration worked but I had some cash and was eager to buy one. So I finally settled on a nice little Semi 22 and it works great.....problem is the guy I brought it from was selling it for a friend, and asked me for all my PAL info and my phone number. He said he was going to give it to his friend and he would call me on the following tuesday to begin the transfer of the rifle. Problem is he never called.. now I did take the gun that day and he was very good about that so I am not out anything. I figured it was just a mix up and my phone number was lost or something. The problem is I now have a 22 and i have no idea who it belongs to and it is supposedly registered. I was just curious if there was anyway to have this gun's owner looked up so I can finalize the transfer? also is there anyway I can get in trouble for this? thanks for all input // Brandon

·
Registered
119 Posts
if you have a reciept or some type of proof showing u purchased it your good but if buddy decided to say u stole it then ur in trouble if you dont....but hopefully someone wouldnt do that

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do you know if the firearm was previously registered?

If it wasn't, you should still be able to register it under your name due to the amnesty act. (I believe it's still in place until sometime in the spring of 2011....can someone confirm that?)

The # you call is 1-800-731-4000. This puts you thru to the RCMP firearm registry ppl. They will ask for specifics of the firearm, you PAL, etc etc.

Under normal circumstances the prev owner would've called and requested a transfer to your name, normally this is all done in just a couple of minutes. Then you receive your firearms cert in the mail within a few weeks. But it doesn't sound like this took place.

If the gun was prev registered and you have no receipt the other fella could report it as stolen....hopefully this isn't the case. They may be ignoring you because the gun was not actually registered. I, personally would never sell one of my firearms and let it leave my possession without it being transferred out of my name!

Either way, I'd try to track the guy down!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Country girl is probably right. He may have started the transition on his side thinking you would know to call the firearm people to finnish it. Give them a call to see if a transfer has been started.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Country girl is probably right. He may have started the transition on his side thinking you would know to call the firearm people to finnish it. Give them a call to see if a transfer has been started.
X3 but I would be careful about telling them you have possetion of the firearm because you are not suppose to take possetion until the transfer is complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts