New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am looking for some advise, I purchased a .223 ruger ranch rifle this winter, and want to site it in.It is the first time I have owned a semi
and have a few questions about rounds and accuracy.The guy I bought it from told me it had a 1in 7 twist, and that I should use 64gr or heavier to confidently keep this gun accurate, is this true or can I set the scope with any grain keeping in m mind if I change grains will I need to reset the scope?Second I can only find 55gr cartridges in Moncton, does anyone know where I can find a heavier load.Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
All the Ranch rifles listed on Ruger's web site list a 1 in 9 twist. Unless your rifle has been rebarrelled I would have to assume it too has a 1 in 9 twist.

1 in 9 will shoot 55 gr rounds fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the Ranch rifles listed on Ruger's web site list a 1 in 9 twist. Unless your rifle has been rebarrelled I would have to assume it too has a 1 in 9 twist.

1 in 9 will shoot 55 gr rounds fine.
Ok thanks woolly, you just made my life easier...lol.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If it did have a 1 in 7 twist he would be right though. It would not be a factory barrell as stated already by someone

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I dont like to ask a question and then argue the answer, but I was still getting conflicting info on this subject.So I called the Sturm Ruger service center and gave them my serial number. Apperently the newer rifles are all 1in 9 twists, but there are older models such as mine which with my serial number came back as a 1in 7 twist, and they even made 1in 10.I feel this could and is the reason there is so much contraversy about the accuracy of these rifles.Now I was told when I purchased the gun to use a heavy grain such as 64 or higher, and the guys at Ruger said not to go higher than a 55 for the 1 in 7 twist.Anyway just thought I would share what they had to say, thanks again and I am glad I still can use 55gr cause I was going nuts looking for heavier..lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts