New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying my first bow for next year. I wanna get one as cheap as possible. so far I have found some good reviews on pse stinger and diamond razor edge. Just wondering if anyone would reccomend any other bow to take a look at when I head to a shop.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
PSE BRUTE, a decent shooting bow for the price!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Martin Jaguar in my basement that I think you should look at. Everything you would need and then some for a first bow. Lots of "extras" to go with it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The brute is definatly twice the bow of the stinger, My friend has a brute in very good conditon for sale for a very reasonable price new strings every year and its deffinatly worth looking at I would take a used brute over a new stinger anyday of the week

·
Registered
909 Posts
The brute is definatly twice the bow of the stinger, My friend has a brute in very good conditon for sale for a very reasonable price new strings every year and its deffinatly worth looking at I would take a used brute over a new stinger anyday of the week
MU'in above has a 2010 pse brute barely used with scorpion strings(new) trophy ridhe 5 pin site loaded for sale,just bought limb saver on this sight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where is a good spot to go look at and maybee try a few bows around the moncton area? Im 5'7 so im geussing my draw length would be around 25-26ish I would like to buy a used bow but im thinking I may be better to get a new one so I can get it adjusted to my draw length by a professional as I would have no idea how to do that stuff.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Im thinking about buying my first bow for next year.
Sounds like we're both in the same boat, salmonhunter!
My dad has been after me for the last couple years that both of us should buy bows...he's always looking for new father/daughter activities. lol
So, after a lengthly discussion last week, looks like we're both gonna finally take the plunge! lol

Been trying to do a bit of research online to get an idea of whats out there. So far, I've found NBH most informative! lol Jeez, the last time I even held a bow was almost 20 years ago!!!!

I've quickly learned that shopping for a new rifle is much easier than trying to figure out what the heck I should buy for a bow! Rifles don't care if you're vertically challenged (5'3") and have small hands! hahaha

Keep the opinions comin' guys!!! There's at least a couple of us lookin' at buying!

Good luck salmonhunter....let us know what you decide on!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sounds like we're both in the same boat, salmonhunter!
My dad has been after me for the last couple years that both of us should buy bows...he's always looking for new father/daughter activities. lol
So, after a lengthly discussion last week, looks like we're both gonna finally take the plunge! lol

Been trying to do a bit of research online to get an idea of whats out there. So far, I've found NBH most informative! lol Jeez, the last time I even held a bow was almost 20 years ago!!!!

I've quickly learned that shopping for a new rifle is much easier than trying to figure out what the heck I should buy for a bow! Rifles don't care if you're vertically challenged (5'3") and have small hands! hahaha

Keep the opinions comin' guys!!! There's at least a couple of us lookin' at buying!

Good luck salmonhunter....let us know what you decide on!
"Hey there" CG,

Glad to hear you are joining the ranks! Just be prepared once you start shooting to get hopelessly addicted like the rest of us! A good place to start is at the "Hunters Friend" website. I bought my Bowtech Tribute from them back in 2006. They have some of the lowest prices on complete bow packages, and really know their stuff. They will set it up so you can shoot a decent group right out of the bow. But...even if you don't want to order a bow through them, it is still an excellent place to find out what is available in equipment and get a good idea of going prices etc. They have pages and pages of info, and bow selecting tips. Everything you need to know about everything about choosing the right equipment. Check them out! here is a link to thier page of womens bow pacages.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2-women.htm

oh........and you don't have to get it in "PINK"!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Have a "like new" PSE brute full package ready to hunt with -
$500.00 (firm on the price.) (bought in march 2010)

Bow - has draw length adjustable from 27-30 inches
trophy ridge 5 pin matrix sight
PSE Mongoose Quiver
3 arrows and a tru fire release
Whisker biscuit arrow rest
Scorpion strings/cables put on this summer(still have the original factory strings as well)
Stabilizer
vibracheck string stopper

excellent condition

·
Registered
909 Posts
Have a "like new" PSE brute full package ready to hunt with -
$500.00 (firm on the price.) (bought in march 2010)

Bow - has draw length adjustable from 27-30 inches
trophy ridge 5 pin matrix sight
PSE Mongoose Quiver
3 arrows and a tru fire release
Whisker biscuit arrow rest
Scorpion strings/cables put on this summer(still have the original factory strings as well)
Stabilizer
vibracheck string stopper

excellent condition
I will give ya $100 bucks for bow seeing as it has not killed anything yet!!LOLOLOLOLOL Just kidding I have to know the bow and yes it;s mint condition and tune perfectly out 50 yards.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the link ArcherynutNB! Just took a quick look and they actually have bows that ppl shorter than me can use!
Looks like very decent prices as well!!!

Mu'in, would be totally interested in the PSE Brute if my arms were just a little bit longer! lol But I'll def pass your info onto my dad when he gets back home from AB!! Maybe if I held my tongue just the right way I could fully draw at the shortest setting of 27"!

My guess, from what I'm told....my draw length is only around 25"....yeah I know, I'm short! Maybe I should ask Santa for longer arms for Christmas!?!

The only thing I can't find on any of the web pages I've checked is how do you order the cute guy that's gonna show me how to use it properly! hahaha The last bow I used was a recurve almost 20 years ago!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for the link ArcherynutNB! Just took a quick look and they actually have bows that ppl shorter than me can use!
Looks like very decent prices as well!!!

Mu'in, would be totally interested in the PSE Brute if my arms were just a little bit longer! lol But I'll def pass your info onto my dad when he gets back home from AB!! Maybe if I held my tongue just the right way I could fully draw at the shortest setting of 27"!

My guess, from what I'm told....my draw length is only around 25"....yeah I know, I'm short! Maybe I should ask Santa for longer arms for Christmas!?!

The only thing I can't find on any of the web pages I've checked is how do you order the cute guy that's gonna show me how to use it properly! hahaha The last bow I used was a recurve almost 20 years ago!!
Mercy!!! I won't touch that with a ten foot plole!

·
Registered
495 Posts
What ever you do , DO NOT buy a bow that is too long for your draw-length unless you like pain. I shot my last bow from 1992 to last fall, it's shortest setting was still an inch to long. I ended up with a flinch so bad it scared shooters on the line next to me at tournaments. What happens is as you try to stretch out to accommodate the extra length, you rotate your elbow into the string path, on release, your string slaps the inner part of your forearm, and it smarts, soon you start flinching in anticipation of it.

More info can be gained from a dedicated archery forum like Archery Talk, they even have a women's forum there in case your looking for specific advise that may apply more to your gender.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What ever you do , DO NOT buy a bow that is too long for your draw-length unless you like pain. I shot my last bow from 1992 to last fall, it's shortest setting was still an inch to long. I ended up with a flinch so bad it scared shooters on the line next to me at tournaments. What happens is as you try to stretch out to accommodate the extra length, you rotate your elbow into the string path, on release, your string slaps the inner part of your forearm, and it smarts, soon you start flinching in anticipation of it.

More info can be gained from a dedicated archery forum like Archery Talk, they even have a women's forum there in case your looking for specific advise that may apply more to your gender.
LOL...yeah, I think I'll stick with the proper draw length!! Found a few charts online and it looks like I was right in guessing at 25". Sounds like I'll have to suck it up and buy a "girls" bow (as long as it's not pink, I'm cool with that!)

Thanks for the link!!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I will give ya $100 bucks for bow seeing as it has not killed anything yet!!LOLOLOLOLOL Just kidding I have to know the bow and yes it;s mint condition and tune perfectly out 50 yards.
LOL, Yo Undertaker, "Ill keep the 12yd broadside coyote story between us"
LOL

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
LOL -- You know what to do! I dont have to say it ..
LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts