New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
the wife and i are headed south of the border for the weekend to do some shopping. i thought that i may look around for a compound bow for hunting. my brother just got one and i tried it out and thought it was pretty cool! and since we have been hunting pals since we have been old enough to buy a licence it only seems right to join in on the bow hunting adventure also.my question is what should one look for in a bow. all i know is the brother figured out my draw length to be 29.5"
any and all help is greatly appreciated
WW

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey guys,
the wife and i are headed south of the border for the weekend to do some shopping. i thought that i may look around for a compound bow for hunting. my brother just got one and i tried it out and thought it was pretty cool! and since we have been hunting pals since we have been old enough to buy a licence it only seems right to join in on the bow hunting adventure also.my question is what should one look for in a bow. all i know is the brother figured out my draw length to be 29.5"
any and all help is greatly appreciated
WW
Best advise I can give .....find an archery shop where the techs know what they're talking about and ask alot of questions! The best way is to try out as many bows as you can where they have a range set-up such as at Basspro or Cabela's(some places any way).

Don't panic on buying a bow..there are soooo many options available today. It may take abit to find Your bow... If your just starting out, look for a wide range of adjustability in draw length and draw weight..Both can change dramatically as you practice and build those muscles! Do not start out with a high draw weight...First you get good(and accurate)....THEN you get speedy!
Remember, What works for one guy may not work for you....talk to your brother if he has experience in archery and see what he can suggest.
Personally, I build my own bows so have fallen out of touch with the compound world in the past couple of years. I used to shoot compound but fell in love with the traditional ways.
Good Luck in your hunt..

Archer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well congrats on your adventure.This is just my 2 cents worth of info-Don't go and buy the most expensive bow out there for your first bow.Try as many as you can,it should feel good in your hand,draw nice and smooth,and be fairly quiet.The longer axle to axle the more forgiving.Keep it simple-Martins take modules and need a press to change draw lengths,my new bear can be changed with-out a bow vise which is nice.Don't try to be a tough guy and get a 70lb bow that you can barely pull back,usually they come in various lbs 40-50,50-60,60-70,you want to be able to hold it steady without straining,(you will develop muscles as you shoot)but as you practice you want to be able to shoot a fair amount without wearing yourself out only after a couple shots.
Some other info ,a bow works best when it is maxed out(poundage wise)-if you are shooting a max of 60lbs buy one with 50-60 lbs,not 60 to 70lbs,buy the right spined arrow(hopefully the shop will set that up),don't dry fire it
(shoot it with out an arrow),and a good target,with a safe backstop behind it.Hopefully you will enjoy it,takes alot of work,and don't be shy with questions,alot of guys here will gladley help you out,but it is addictive,but very enjoyable...

Good luck

SL

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, I guess it's better then the old, "hey guys, I just bought a...., is there any problems with these ones?" kinda question. Choosing a bow can be a very personal selection, a brand/model that fits one shooter may not be the best fit for the next shooter. Also, what seems to fit now may not fit so well a year of less down the road. Clear as mud eh!

Good advise from others who already responded. I'll throw a bit more into the mix.

Check your eye dominance, even though I do everything right handed, I am left eye dominat., I can tell you from personal experience, if you shoot wrong handed, you'll eventually come to regret it, especially if you bowhunt.

Draw weight, If your a strong person, a 60-70 pound bow may not be going over board, however some points to keep in mind. No matter how much weight you pull, however light the arrow is, the sound will still beat the arrow to the animal. 40 lbs will kill a deer no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts