New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Lost a gun.... got another..... sorta

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  big ol' buck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got invited to go hunt deer this fall, and I don't have a gun fit for shooting a deer at 200 yds, so I asked my father-in-law if I could use his 30-06. Brought it to the range, and the scope is bad, it's a semi-auto and won't shoot more than 1 shot without fighting with it. Long story short, brought it for service, and it's not worth the repair, plus it barely shoots 8" @100 yds. So being the kind fellow he is, my father-in-law just scrapped the gun and didn't want to leave me hanging for deer, he bought a brand new Savage in 22-250.

So I'm grateful he thought of me and replaced it with a wonderful calibre, and we have a yote problem so it'll be great to have all year round. But I'm a little disapointed I no longer have a 200yd deer gun. Oh well. Just means it's time to buy my own and be done with it.

Anyone have an opinion on Remington 760? Got my eye on one.

#2 ·
just my opinion here but you still don't have a deer gun!! 22-250 is not even close to a practical cartridge for deer.

#4 ·
I have shot deer with a 22-250 before but the calibre is not sufficient for a practical deer rifle. In order to make a good "kill" without the animal suffering the placement of the shot has to be perfect and at relatively close range. Good luck this fall but pick those shots wisely and shoot to kill not to wound.

#7 ·
I agree with all of you. I wouldn't use the 22-250 for deer unless it was @ 75yds, so my 30-30 would be more useful. Basically I'm glad he bought a nice rifle and offered to lend it to me, but I still don't have a good deer rifle.

Any opinions on a remington 760???

#8 ·
Anyone have an opinion on Remington 760? Got my eye on one.
The Remington pump action rifles tend to be very good shooters. In many instances as good as most bolt guns.
The 760 Gamemaster was made from 1952 until 1982. The 7600 pretty much replaced it.
Lots of very good deer cartridges to choose from.

Words of wisdom: "Keep the magazine out of your back pocket, i.e., don't sit on it."

#10 ·
Ok, I still stand on 22-250 NOT being a "good" deer cartridge. I know people who've killed with it, but I'd rather not. I'm a man of facts and data. Here's what I'm basing my decision on.

To kill a deer, you need a bullet with approx 1100 ft-lbs of striking force. So let's compare here

.22-250:
Hornady factory 50g ammo @100 yds - 1238 ft-lbs. Any longer shot GREATLY reduces your chances of a clean kill

Hornady 150g @100yds - 2252 ft-lbs. @400yds 1336 ft-lbs.

A bow doesn't rely on shock to kill, they rely on bleeding out within a minute or so. A properly placed rifle shot will drop the animal dead in it's tracks. If it runs away for a few minutes.... well maybe people shouldn't rely on their 22-250's soo much.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not an experienced hunter at all, just going by what I read and hear from people.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I should also mention that 2 of my uncles swear by a 22-250 and hunt deer every year with them. I've also got a friend who claims he'd use it for moose if he had one. They've been hunting for 30+ years, any idea how I could convince them otherwise?

And that Remington pump is only about 12 years old, so it must be a 7600 instead of a 760. Haven't gone to see it yet.... trying to make our schedules match.

#12 ·
You are absolutly right to use another caliber expecialy when you are not comfortable with it. That is what matters here. Be confortable so you can be confident.

Good for you and again good luck...

OH convincing them will never happen just tell them you are not confortable with that caliber and go get what you are confortable with.

Stick to what you feel good about no mater what people like me or your relatives say

If you are looking for a reasonable priced rifle there are alot of 303 British out there that work well but then again there are alot that are wore out so be carfull. I use a 303 britsh and it shoots well.

#13 ·
Gothemi-

I agree with still learning - bullet placement is the key, not caliber, and to place a bullet properly you need confidence in your gun. If your not comfortable with the 250, dont hunt with it. That is a good decision on your part. However, in one of your earlier posts you said that a properly placed rifle shot will drop an animal in its tracks - this is not true, and this misconception has no doubt resulted in some lost game. A spine or brain shot will drop an animal, but beyond that there are no guarantees. A good shot to the bolier room will often leave you with a tracking job, regardless of the caliber gun you use. In my experience I've found that animals completely unaware of your presence are more likely to drop, and an alert animal will most often run, even with a fatal hit, sometimes showing little or no indication of being hit.

#14 ·
I had secured a .303 from a friend as a backup plan incase the .30-06 fell through, which it did. So if I can scrape the money together in time and buy the Remington pump I'll be good, otherwise I better get that .303 from buddy and bring it to the range.

Jim, if you're reading this, bring over the .303 one night and we'll go sight it in!!!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Still Learning, I have to disagree with you on the capability of the 22-250. You can drop a deer with a .22 IF you put the bullet in just the right spot. For a quick humane kill on large game the 22-250 just does not have the shock power. As to an arrow not having any shock you are absolutely correct, but an arrow applies a different set of physics to kill. An arrow slices and cause massive bleeding, it does not rely an hydrodynamic shock to ruputre and destroy soft tissue. Given the choice I'd take the 30-30, you can also get the new Lever Evolution ammo that extends the lever gun ranges out to 300m no problem.

#19 ·
The 22-250 is an excellent caliber just not the best suited for deer, and I agree shot placement is key no matter what caliber you use but I think you are far better off with the 303 brit, If I had only a 22-250 for deer I would use neck shots and never head shots no matter what caliber, too many deer have suffered due to smashed jaw bones from attempted head shots the head is such a small target and if the bullet strikes anything but the brain it can lead to cripples very easily. I prefer big heavy slow moving bullets in the boiler room, good knock down power and minimal meat damage. Some provinces dont allow anything under .23 caliber for deer or other big game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.