New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many many people had an encounter with a mature buck this year. Whether you harvested one, missed one, got busted, etc. I got busted by a mature 8 point (see pics in "LETS SEE THOSE BIG BUCKS" topic, or in gallery) when i had the wind in my favor, and him distracted by a mock scrape. I got too excited i guess and he spotted me, was gone before i got a shot off. I was wondering how often (how many years) you find it usually is between mature buck encounters.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I actually had a few chances this year. I had 2 3-4 year old bucks that I seen 2 or 3 times, I could of harvested with the rifle but chose not to,Had a couple young 8-10 points in bow range that i passed on. Then I had a nice 8-10 pointer spook on me at my hunting camp, never could of shot him but seen him, The thing thats got me more excited for next year is the amount of 6-8 point young bucks i seen on my hunting grounds should make next year interesting

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very lucky in that I usually have a few encounters every year since I began hunting. The area that I hunt has awesome genitics. The farm I normally hunt had several mature bucks hangin around this year. While scouting in bird season I had an encounter with a giant 16point typical with a huge spread,same deear i missed last year at 250yrds. The same day I seen him I came across another buck that had a tall 8-10 point rack probably 3-4 years old on the opposite end of the property. We hunted all fall in that area and finally got a crack at a huge typical 12 point.The first shot knocked him off his feet but he started to get back up so I gave him another. We found lots of blood but opted to leave him over night as there was only minutes till legal shooting light and didn't want to push him. We looked all day the following day 4 of us found more blood but the rain started and washed away the blood trail. Long story short my huntin season ended that day. I looked every day till the season was over watching for the crows but all the rain made it hard for ttem to find him as well. I'm still sick over it and have nightmares about the big one that got away.I have been told by lots of hunters that it happens to the best of them but it still hurts to think that the coyotes got to eat em and I didn't.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Saw two really big mature dear on opening day of archery season. Looked like one was a ten and the other was a little bigger. Both deer had really tall tines and freakishly wide racks. Both amazing trophy bucks. Unfortunately the wind was not in my favour that day, and they didn't come within bow range. Luckily they were out in a field chasing around some does and fawns, which made for some really nice viewing.
I saw a few younger 8 point bucks after that, but I never saw those two giants ever again.
Next year!! Hopefully I'll get some pics of them in 2011,...that's assuming that the local jackass doesn't steal my new replacement camera! Karma!

·
Registered
925 Posts
No mature bucks seen this year so I guess 2011 is my year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I haven't had any success in my whole (17 year) life! I cannot remember a time that I spotted a deer that had antlers that wasn't either hanging in the backyard or in some lucky persons truck. The 2 seasons that I have been out deer hunting with my father we haven't been prepared and my friends spotted a doe, and I spotted some too, but we never crossed a buck! This upcoming season I have a stand and a plan, so I hope this will be my year! I wonder if the area I live in has something to do with the low number of buck...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just hang in there, Remeber be where there is deer sign, also make sure to not give up and keep at it. Get out as much as you can, and keep still and quiet.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Never hunted IN any of those places lol. last year i did kill my buck IN hampton. This year I hunted on farm land 95 percent of my time,Near hampton, and I have one stand, on the outskirts of hampton, where yes I seen probably 6-8 deer everytime i was on stand, but i didnt like hunting there because of where it was at, About 250 yards from houses so I stopped hunting there. I killed my deer along ways from someones backyard lol. But yes I had several friends that killed nice deer in quispamsis, And I have a deadly spot in quispamsis with huge deer, but I chose not to hunt there cuz I cant stand listening to cars and people talking while im hunting. When I say im hunting in hampton, thats just a general area, Hampton could be from Smiths creek to beileisle In my words lol. Keep guessing tho lol. All I know im disapointed about the number of deer that are in my woods, My woods I mean my small parcel of land in bloomfield ridge with prime deer habitat, sucks that I have to leave that to find, enough deer sign worth hunting

·
Banned
223 Posts
Just given ya a hard time NBDH. I also go where the deer are too, but would prefer to have the deer transported to places I would rather hunt/be. I won't be crowding the southern part of the province anytime soon, but I have been tempted to get a camper and travel around the province.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had any success in my whole (17 year) life! I cannot remember a time that I spotted a deer that had antlers that wasn't either hanging in the backyard or in some lucky persons truck. The 2 seasons that I have been out deer hunting with my father we haven't been prepared and my friends spotted a doe, and I spotted some too, but we never crossed a buck! This upcoming season I have a stand and a plan, so I hope this will be my year! I wonder if the area I live in has something to do with the low number of buck...
For the first couple years i hunted deer, i would just drive with my dad, we would stop the truck at a random piece of woods and we would try hunting it. Never seen a deer for those 2 years. We would see some driving, but never anything in the woods. This year we did some scouting, set up stands, and had a plan. He shot a young deer the first week of bow season and i seen a mature buck in the second last week. I also had some does come in. There are bucks out there, even if it doesn't seem like it. Just remember, EVERY deer has a dad. If you can try to get a trail camera, I have a Wildgame Innovations IR4 that was about 80 bucks and takes great pictures. It lets you see whats out there and keeps you excited all year. (and its pretty fun checking the pictures)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I haven't saw a mature buck, while hunting, since 2008. Doesn't really matter, I've had numerous encounters and those memories keep me in the woods.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a real big tall racked 10 pnt bust me the 3rd week of the season...had him pegged to the exact area and time he`d be there but all i screwed up was the direction he would come in, came right behnd me and stood directly behind me at less than 20 yrds , then bolted before he was at an angle i could shoot. Biggest buck ive seen so far in the woods ...he`s still alive hopefully he will make it through the winter and ill get a crack at him next year...whole story is in hunting stories..buck 1 me 0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts