New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you guys are concentrating more on deer but i can't seem to get away from ducks...but for you guys that still go out after ducks is it just me or is the migration a bit late this year? I have yet to see any goldeneyes(whistlers) or big flocks of big northern blacks anywhere.Last weeknd all i saw were flocks of woodducks and greenwings, this time last year you would be hard pressed to shoot a woodduck let alone see nothing but woodducks, and the biggest clue to me that there is still a lot of duck hunting left and the best is yet to come is that yesterday morning I shot a blue wing teal, and the day before i saw a whole flock of them when i walked into one of my spots to check it out. Thought i was seeing things until i got one yesterday morning..its by far the lastest ive ever seen bluewings, they are usually gone and a few guys get stragglers during the first week of the season but thats it. latest ive ever got one before now was the second weeknd of the season last year. Anyone else noticing things like this or is everyone stuck in a deer stand these days?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know most of you guys are concentrating more on deer but i can't seem to get away from ducks...but for you guys that still go out after ducks is it just me or is the migration a bit late this year? I have yet to see any goldeneyes(whistlers) or big flocks of big northern blacks anywhere.Last weeknd all i saw were flocks of woodducks and greenwings, this time last year you would be hard pressed to shoot a woodduck let alone see nothing but woodducks, and the biggest clue to me that there is still a lot of duck hunting left and the best is yet to come is that yesterday morning I shot a blue wing teal, and the day before i saw a whole flock of them when i walked into one of my spots to check it out. Thought i was seeing things until i got one yesterday morning..its by far the lastest ive ever seen bluewings, they are usually gone and a few guys get stragglers during the first week of the season but thats it. latest ive ever got one before now was the second weeknd of the season last year. Anyone else noticing things like this or is everyone stuck in a deer stand these days?
I haven't exactly been out duck hunting all that much, but I have noticed the odd flock of whistlers on the river around Oromocto and Fredericton. I managed to go out late last week and seen LOTS of teal and woodies.. Mallards and Blacks weren't where we were thats for sure..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I haven't exactly been out duck hunting all that much, but I have noticed the odd flock of whistlers on the river around Oromocto and Fredericton. I managed to go out late last week and seen LOTS of teal and woodies.. Mallards and Blacks weren't where we were thats for sure..
Last night there were hundreds of ducks flying the pm bridge just before dark, woodies wood be great mounters this time of year, i also saw big flock of goldens out on river by the fort nashwaak.

·
Registered
699 Posts
PJ - I am some glad that you said you shot a blue wing - cause when I was going in to change the SD card on the camera last week I thought for sure I jumped two of them but thought I must've been seeing things as they're normally LONG GONE by now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I also got a drake bluewing last week very close to full colours, probably the last time that will happen to me in New brunswick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also got a drake bluewing last week very close to full colours, probably the last time that will happen to me in New brunswick.
Mine was a hen, woulda been nice to have a drake, my cousin and I did get a few full plumage greenwings last weeknd, darn pretty birds

·
Registered
22 Posts
|The wooducks left the upper part of the Oromocto river system on the cold wind last Saturday. I have been watching the Jemseg/Gagetown area and nothing is there yet. The big blacks are yet to come. As far as deer are concerned you can keep those stinky/greasy meat things and let me at the ducks. I think we are about to begin a great late season as it is only a matter of time. Goodluck and let me know if you see them coming in and I will do the same.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was out this morning in Sheffield area, seen 3 small flocks of blacks and one big flock of mallards and some whistlers here and there, but neither wanted to commit...should be gettin good here soon

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was out this morning in Sheffield area, seen 3 small flocks of blacks and one big flock of mallards and some whistlers here and there, but neither wanted to commit...should be gettin good here soon
Keep us posted... I happen to live across the river from Sheffield!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hunting in the Riverside albert area yesterday there were a lot of ducks flying. Shot a Black and a green wing. There was a big flock of teal circling around the marsh.

You wanna see Blacks, go to the salt marsh at Mary's point. When they fly, they block out the sun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts