New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have heard a lot of talk about mock scrapes.I have never tried this before, and always open to new ideas, well new to me anyway...lol.Just wondering if anyone wishes to elaborate on how to do this, and will it bring deer to the area, or just keep the ones that are there hopefully coming to the same place?On the same note I heard Rod Cumberland speak in Moncton at the antler contest and he kept referring to "An over head branch in a scrape being crucial, anyone wish to explain this, I would have asked the question that day but my son was getting fidgety and I had to go before I could ask Rod...lol.Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
All active scrapes will have an overhead licking branch 3-5 ft above the scrape. It is basically just what the name implies. A hanging branch that bucks will "mouth" and rub their pre-orbital and forehead glands on to leave a scent mixture which does or other bucks will smell and taste.
You can create real scrapes by tying branches down over field or logging road edges at the right height and bucks will naturally start using them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you look on youtube for a buck making a scrape, you'll see that when a buck makes a scrape he invariably mouths a branch or many branches anywhere from 3 feet to 6 if he stands on is hind legs. Making a scrape and just filling it with buck urine isn't natural and the deer don't respond to them. I made a mock scrape today on a scrape from last year. Also, I found a new scrape and freshened it up today with some licking branch spray and dominant buck urine. I usually leave a stick or some leaves on the scrape so I can tell if a buck has come to freshen it up with his own smells.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here are a few of my experiences with scrpaes and mock scrapes:

In 2008 I placed a camera over a scrape from the previous year and put in a mineral lick. Although there was no scraping activity I have video and pics of both a buck and a doe using the licking branch as BT describes above as early as July.

Also in 2008 I put a camera on a trail and did not create a mock scrape however I sprayed Tink's mock scrape starter on a branch in front of the camera. I have a video of a 10 point who puts his nose against the branch and sticks out his tongue a couple times. Attached is a snapshot out of the video.

Again one time using Tink's mock scrape starter I created a fake scrape where none had previously existed under a large tree with several potential licking branches. Next time at the site two new scrapes had been created under the same tree.

Something I haven't tried but should work well is go to a different area from where you hunt and find a scrape. Shovel some of the dirt out of the scrape and take the licking branch. Then create your own fake scrape using the real scents in your own hunting site.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well thanks for the information everyone, I definitely have to try this but I guess I need to find some scrapes first..lol.Oh by the way Crunchin' Leaves did you get to see that 10 pointer again maybe while you were in the stand...lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well thanks for the information everyone, I definitely have to try this but I guess I need to find some scrapes first..lol.Oh by the way Crunchin' Leaves did you get to see that 10 pointer again maybe while you were in the stand...lol.
I had pictures of him in 2007 and 2008 under both my tree stand and my brother's but nothing since. I'm not certain but I think another hunter got him in a nearby clover field in 2008. Here are a few more pics of him.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had pictures of him in 2007 and 2008 under both my tree stand and my brother's but nothing since. I'm not certain but I think another hunter got him in a nearby clover field in 2008. Here are a few more pics of him.

Wow nice buck, he has great width!Well if someone else got him you sound like we have the same luck....lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts