New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just looking for some advice. When you are calling for moose do you use straight cow calls.? If so what, if any, sequence length of call, how often??? Also if you get an answer do you continue with what got the answer or switch it up? oh and one more, if your hunter is in a tree stand do you call from the ground or in the stand. thanks guys. And best of luck to everyone this week.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I usually use cow calls unless the moose hangs up. Then I'll challenge him or wait. If I get an answer and the moose is coming I don't call anymore. The videos I posted, those moose came to a cow call and after I knew they were coming I just waited. The smaller bull didn't answer but I heard him break some sticks and knew he was coming. If there are a lot of bulls in the area I've found smaller bulls try to sneak in instead of announcing their presence. I usually call from the stand and don't find any difference except for scent control.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I use the same tactics as Sako. Usually blurt outa cow call every 10 minutes or so. Then tactics change depending on the response. Sometimes they can sneak right in on ya. I was out Wed. and did some calling in a bog I always wanted to find. All I got for an answer sounded like a calf bawling back. After leaving and making my way back to my vehicle I would grunt every so often just in case 1 was close. Sure enough I hear something infront of me. It was really thick so I sneak into partial view and there is a monster bull only 20 yards away. I play with him a bit with soft cow calls for awhile. Then I decide to challenge him so I stick my arms out rake a tree and start grunting as i walk at him. It scared the crap out of him and sent him on the run. It was quite a rush. He had long paddles with a big shovel on front. What a beast.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Also my first cow cal is longer as it is a contact call. Make sure you flucuate the tone up and down. And don't cut your call right off, let it fade.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The tactics mentioned here are deffinitely the most widely used and account for the overwhelming majority of calling success. If I can offer something to add it would be to master the bull grunt. You can simply find a bull's lair i.e. rubs and mudding scrapes and the like, and simply challenge him. Some use this tactic almost exclusively for the big boys but it takes alot of ground work to locate the bulls before the hunt. Also, I've found that during the rut, when a bull grunts back at you as he is coming; though he may answer your cow call he may already be with a lady and not willing to leave her. How often have you heard: "He came right to the edge of the woods but just wouldn't come out". It's gonna happen because he wants you (the cow) to come to him and his harem, after all he's the boss and cows usually oblige. This is when the grunt will make him take that last step into the open. It get's pretty dramatic at this point brace yourself! ... and carry something to mock and antler rubbing sound... a dry stick will suffice but and old moose shoulder blade is the choice of many for it's realism.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Best advise i can give is "not to OVER CALL" -
if hes coming, let him come....he knows where you are..

·
Registered
329 Posts
One time a bull was with a cow in a thick cedar swamp and would not come out with calls. I was on a ridge that had been cut some years before.

I picked up a 10 foot limb and gave the bushes a good thrashing.

He came trotting right up to within 50 feet of me .

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Best advise i can give is "not to OVER CALL" -
if hes coming, let him come....he knows where you are..
Glad this works for you, but I call with all my might, and when he stops responding, that's when I crank it up even more. A bull moose only grunts when he's walking and coming to your position, when he stops grunting, he's stationnary and trying to pinpoint your location. Not calling at this time might cost you the trophy of a lifetime...

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Always works for me.
do use a few grunts to answer at times, but ive never yet needed to call continuously once i get em coming.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Always works for me.
do use a few grunts to answer at times, but ive never yet needed to call continuously once i get em coming.
Everyone has their own way that works. Really calling a moose is not a science. Given the right cicumstances they will respond to anything. That said i'm with bullseye. I call alot and I call even more when a moose is coming. Had guys tell me to call once every 20 minutes but im getting ready to try a new spot after 45. I also mix my calls up. Use more cow calls at first, then if nothing after 20 start throwing in bull calls also. If one is responding and holds up ill really go at him with bull calls.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
2 Lonnnnng Cow Bawls Followed by 2 deep resonating Bull grunts every 15 - 20min!!!
Has Always Been Top Shelf Blocker Side For Me 4 Shhhhhhore Ca'mon!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Listen to MU'IN i HAVE SEEN HIM PULL BULLS RIGHT OF OTHER HUNTERS CALLING AND HE CALSS IN 5 OR 6 AT A TIME.Real rush.
No need to be hunting that close to others anyways...Common Sense Preveils Everytime Wah!
Some dont have any though 4 shore!!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
AHHH, just to clear things up, i dont move in and hunt where others are already hunting
there are several roads cuts that are not connected. but are close enough you can hear others calling - (from other side/differenet area, thats accessed from a differenet area than im in....)

just wanted to make this clear.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
In November???? HUH?

Not many calling then -- LOL moose or people ...!!!

usually september -

I like to get the last day and sometimes fri evening to see whats up.. and who's in my area

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
yep... my area (but i dont mind sharing it with others, im just a nice guy that way)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts