New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've been moose hunting on the base for almost 10 years now and cant believe how it seems like some hunting parties keep posting road after road and trail after trail just to raise their odds of getting a look at this elusive trophy.Yes some of these crews may have more than one tag but i have seen parcels of land hundreds of acres or more in size with every road near them posted but the guy who thinks by using a different board here or there no-one will know its him that posted all other access to the vicinity of that bog he wants to hunt by himself.Pretty poor confidence in his hunting capability is all it is IMO, i've seen guys post close to ten roads in a row with similar last names on these signs like EX---Stillen,Stealen Smilin, Sippin,Suckin and thinks we wont clue in????????????Anyways i know we got on this sign issue last year its just so angering going through these huge areas with this [email protected]#%^&'s disrespect of the other hunters in the area.It is fun though to end up tagging a much more respectable animal than these greedy parties seem to tag with the last area left without a sign and hopefully we will be fortunate enough to do it again..Good luck to those who desevre it..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well i've been moose hunting on the base for almost 10 years now and cant believe how it seems like some hunting parties keep posting road after road and trail after trail just to raise their odds of getting a look at this elusive trophy.Yes some of these crews may have more than one tag but i have seen parcels of land hundreds of acres or more in size with every road near them posted but the guy who thinks by using a different board here or there no-one will know its him that posted all other access to the vicinity of that bog he wants to hunt by himself.Pretty poor confidence in his hunting capability is all it is IMO, i've seen guys post close to ten roads in a row with similar last names on these signs like EX---Stillen,Stealen Smilin, Sippin,Suckin and thinks we wont clue in????????????Anyways i know we got on this sign issue last year its just so angering going through these huge areas with this [email protected]#%^&'s disrespect of the other hunters in the area.It is fun though to end up tagging a much more respectable animal than these greedy parties seem to tag with the last area left without a sign and hopefully we will be fortunate enough to do it again..Good luck to those who desevre it..
RR what side of Highway 7 are you talking about..? I know you've mentioned before that you spend some time on the Enniskillen side? Hope you get the big one man.. Good luck and I might just see ya down there!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ive never hunted the base but this is definately a problem. Hunted in back of Sussex last year for my first time and it was a sad adventure to say the least. Every road was signed and I mean every road. Then on moose season week guys parked trailers on or right in the middle of the roads. I see the regulation book added this year that its illegal block crown roads and I would guess thats from the problems in zone 23. On a note of that the trailers that guys are putting on roads arent even the ones that they stay in. They were putting beater trailers on roads then staying ibn better ones at a different location. It was crazy. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Speaking of the base, I heard the gate at blue mountain is expected to be closed permanatly by the end of the year. To bad.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi RR and guys...
The "Moose hunt"signage" issue is province wide according to what I have heard and seen and initially started as a courtesy thing amongst ethical sportsmen. It simply informed hunters of one hunter/group of hunters intention of hunting in that spot come opening morning. Greedy, unethical hunters soon started misusing it, posting large areas and multiple areas, often with no intentionss of hunting it opening morning...they just wanted those areas as "backup" areas. It has developed into something that many ethical hunters simply ignore now...and for good reason. It is very frustrating to scout areas and choose one and be forced to fight with other hunters for the right to hunt it opening morning...often with poor hunting results since the moose aren't appreciative of all the commotion, vehicle pre-season traffic, sign erection and "tear=down" and the race to block roads, place uninhabited trailers right beside the bog or small lake...and so on opening morning, the moose have relocated to a much quieter area back in the woods. Personally, I have witnessed all these things going on. Some unethical hunter or group will post numerous areas and do whatever they can to intimidate or prevent other hunters from hunting anywhere there. This is ridiculous and demonstrates to DNR just how immature and disunited the hunting fraternity can be. Then, after all this quarreling and wrangling, we sit around the local "pickle barrel" on Saturday night and wonder why DNR and government won't listen to our ideas on creating "turkey stocking" or "alternate weapons hunting seasons" or someing else that would improve our wildlife and sport of hunting. I COULD GO ON AND O...nn...BUT I'VE ADDED MY "TWO CENTS" WORTH! Remember, 2010 moose season is approaching so let's show each other...and more importantly, government and DNR that we are mature enough and ethical enough to help,not hinder each other's three day moose hunt! There are enough of those critters to go around...don't you think guys?

·
Registered
268 Posts
It happend to us in 2006 with my fathers licence,, we took a road early in the morning, was still dark, and there was a tree blocking the road
didn't think anything of it at first, but when we got out to pull it off the road, someone had pulled it with a truck to break it across the road.
So we pulled it off the road, drove by, put it back, went hunting and got a nice 55", 20pts 700lbs meat little buck
. Got it at 7am, by the time we cleaned it and loaded
into the truck, the guys that had blocked the road drove in...P#$%^^& Off that we had gone in and not respecting their signs
Mind you,, we never noticed the signs when we drove in at 5am, but they were there, at every side road you could see, and all blocked with ribbons

So when they started to chew the rag at us for not respecting their signs etc.. I told them that we never seen the signs, wich was true,
but the broken tree in the road told us that it was a good hunting spot since someone took the time and effort to block it, so that's where we went.

My buddy, a few years back was driving back to the camp at around at 12o'clock at night on Wednesday before Moose season, when he passed a side road
and noticed something in the road, so he went to see what it was, 2 trailers facing each other, one on each side of the road, with awnings
opened, tables, chairs, stoves, everthing blocking the road,,, so he woke them up and told them he was hunting back there and that they were spending the night in the stand, wich was not true at all,, so he made them move everything, took like an hour, all the time telling them they shouldn't block a road like that, drove passed their trailers a couple hundred yards, turned around and left

Maybe they'll think twice before blocking a road again

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not quite sure what side of the 7 i'm hunting LON but we've shot all our moose so far on the Enniskillen side, think its time for a central area moose.BND's i've seen it in many ares and havn't noticed it around the Big and Little Bog but there sure isn't ever much for spots to pics around there.RR Where does your group hunt?

·
Registered
108 Posts
NBBearsden wrote:
"So when they started to chew the rag at us for not respecting their signs etc.. I told them that we never seen the signs, wich was true,
but the broken tree in the road told us that it was a good hunting spot since someone took the time and effort to block it, so that's where we went
."

I don't necessarily agree with people blocking roads or putting up mutiple signs, but the attitude that you displayed in the last line of your post makes you just as bad as those who post every other road in the province!

I think its great that people place signs in the area they are going to hunt. The last thing I would want to do is disrupt another's moosehunt as well as I would not like to have a disrespectful "hunter" disrupt mine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I disagree lovemylab , those guys did nothing wrong . If the other party was going to hunt there why weren't they there ? Why , because they were hunting somewhere else thats why .They didn't show up until later in the morning when their other (posted ? probably) spot didn't pan out or they heard the shot .

This whole sign thing is BS , if you want to hunt a spot swing your ass out of your bunk in the morning and get there first . Anyone coming in will see your truck and will turn around and go somewhere else . If you feel the need to put up a sign put it in your truck window - "Moose Hunt In Progress , Please Respect".

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not quite sure what side of the 7 i'm hunting LON but we've shot all our moose so far on the Enniskillen side, think its time for a central area moose.BND's i've seen it in many ares and havn't noticed it around the Big and Little Bog but there sure isn't ever much for spots to pics around there.RR Where does your group hunt?
We hunt the other side...haven't been down yet but by the sounds of it I should soon!?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey BND's sounds like you've hunted the base for a long time, have any pics you could post of some huge base bulls?There was a guy on NBhunting last fall i thought posted pics of a real big bull he claimed to have shot on the base.Just trying to see what the granddads down there have for genetics..RR p.s. i'll post some pics of a big bull my family got down there in 2006 (21 point, 900 lb)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Greyghost,

I did not mean to imply that what they did was necessarily wrong but what I disliked was the attitude displayed in NBBearsden's statement that "the broken tree in the road told us that it was a good hunting spot since someone took the time and effort to block it, so that's where we went."
Its possible that there may have been someone hunting from a stand down there that had been dropped off. The lack of courtesy and disrespect he showed for anothers hunt as by his own statement because he obviously realized that someone was either hunting this spot or intented to hunt this spot is what bothered me.

The 3 day season makes people a little crazed and over protective of the area they plan to hunt.

During our moose hunt last year the area we hunted was down a crown logging road. We did not see anyone in this area the first day we were out but when we went in on day two, I had someone come out of a side trail and sit on my bumper for well over a mile till I pulled off to where we were hunting. I guess they had hoped to run us off until the other members of my hunting party got out and started over to their vehicle at which point they peeled off, honking their horn. Real courtious. No signs posted anywhere on this one of many roads back in this area or even at the head of the trail they had come out of. We figured out that evening that this is where they were hunting as they followed us out again that evening. I guess they had hoped to have that entire area to themselves.

As for the signs, I disagree with the folks who post an entire area or put up signs at 10 different spots. But I dont see the issue in putting a sign up at the head of your trail where you may have spent the entire summer scouting, watching and setting up blinds or stands only to have some a** come in and disrupt your hunt, or get their five minutes ahead of you and take your stands or blinds.

As for slinging my ass out of my bunk to get there early, I was up and on the road by 4:30 last year so that I could be sitting in my blind before first light.

Courtesy and respect, do not follow a time schedule.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hey BND's sounds like you've hunted the base for a long time, have any pics you could post of some huge base bulls?There was a guy on NBhunting last fall i thought posted pics of a real big bull he claimed to have shot on the base.Just trying to see what the granddads down there have for genetics..RR p.s. i'll post some pics of a big bull my family got down there in 2006 (21 point, 900 lb)
I'll srounge some of the moose we've got over the years...some aren't digital though.

I've got some REAL nice ones on video...again not digital but there has got to be a way to get them converted.
I always have the video camera with me.

I've been hunting down there all my life (I am 38) - my grandmothers original homestead was on the base.

If anyone is asking...the hunting SUCKS down there!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
"As for the signs, I disagree with the folks who post an entire area or put up signs at 10 different spots. But I dont see the issue in putting a sign up at the head of your trail where you may have spent the entire summer scouting, watching and setting up blinds or stands only to have some a** come in and disrupt your hunt, or get their five minutes ahead of you and take your stands or blinds. "

- How is someone supposed to know if the sign poster has 1 sign out or mutiple signs out , and if so how are you supposed to know where the poster is going to be that morning ? We're moose hunters not mind readers . There is so much abuse with the posting of signs that they cannot be taken seriously .

"As for slinging my ass out of my bunk to get there early, I was up and on the road by 4:30 last year so that I could be sitting in my blind before first light."

- We're talking about posting Crown Land not someone using your blind or tree stand .

"Courtesy and respect, do not follow a time schedule."

- I would argue that someone who is posting Crown Land is the one who is not being courtious .
eg. Myself and others who believe that it is ridiculous to put up a sign claiming an area for my own (this is what is going on) , so we don't . We have an area checked out with the intention of hunting it , along comes Joe sign maker and puts up a sign . When we run into him before or during moose season he will claim that because he has a piece of cardboard nailed to a tree with his initials scribled on it that he should have the area to himself .
I say again it's BS . You want to hunt it then get there 1st .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well some guys just dont care i guess. Last year we had one sing on our tree stand at the end of a road. We got an anwer from a bull after 1/2hr of calling and he was comming in. We heard a diesel truck comming up the road so we sent on guy running down the road to stop the truck. He ran about 500 yards down the road till he could see the truck he waived his arms in a stoping motion, the truck keeped comming. When he got next to him our budy tried to tell him to stop that we a moose comming in on the call. the guy just closed his window down shifted one gear and let the engine roar. When he got to the end where we where the oldest guy in our group 68 years old, asked his why he didnt stop when our made sings for him to stop, he said that our friend was trying to get rid of muskitos around his head. So the old fella asked him if he was stupid. The guy about 35 years old and 275lbs 6ft 4, came out of the truck and grabed the old fella by the neck and lifted him of the grownd. And asked him if he was the one that ruined his hunt earlier in the morning at his spot that was 6 miles away. Finaly he let him go and we where able to talk. We told him that we had been hunting this spot all day and for the last 20 years. Finaly our budy with the second licence that was set up 150 yards in the chopping from us got to us and the face on the guy dropped. Turns out they knew each other realy well. He apologised and was on his way. Anyway we got our moose that evening. Later that evening he came back to our camps site to see our moose and i still offered him a beer. May be im the crazy one for ofering him a beer after what he done.

Some guys disrespect others and then those people take in out on everybody in the woods.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.