New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Way to go! Congratulations to DNR!! Glad to see it!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sad part is most of them will prolly get off with it(techicalities and ****,proceedings taking to long, ect)
Now if that was you or I starvin & tryin to get a bite for the winter, they'd throw the book at us!!

P.S.
And why wait 18 months? So they could kill more??

Kinda reminds me of a big drug bust they had up here on the Chi couple years ago...They knew it was going on for over 10 yrs and did nothing about it til then!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
you should just be happy somebody is doing something about poaching and selling moose meat....And yes it may take time in court , but everything takes time in court.....and for the 18 months it took, maybe it took that time to get a good solid case.

be positive!!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
you should just be happy somebody is doing something about poaching and selling moose meat....And yes it may take time in court , but everything takes time in court.....and for the 18 months it took, maybe it took that time to get a good solid case.

be positive!!!!!
Forrrrrty Two Big Fella!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did ya read the comments at the bottom of the link?????

Been wanting to set up a beef butcher shop. Going to wait and see if that stuff comes up for auction.

18 months is way too long to investigate something like this. Give ma a break,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very glad to see something being done as the moose population is disappearing same as the deer. Some people are living way beyond their means and they use natural resources to get rich. Just to mention something from the last few years something like two years ago during deer season I seen 26 moose and 2010 deer season I only saw one... big difference. As for DNR taking so long it's the same as the RCMP with any investigation they have to have concrete evidence not just hearsay or gossip as the lawyers are working for money now not for what is right. Just hoping someone will have to pay.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Glad to see it happen and hope the fines are wickedly steep.

I hope all that confiscated moose meat will go back into the freezer and then donated to local soup kitchens. Hate like hell to see it go to waste.

That amount of moose meat could really make a difference to the pocket books of the soup kitchens that can use the meat.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope all that confiscated moose meat will go back into the freezer and then donated to local soup kitchens. Hate like hell to see it go to waste.
Be Nice 4 Shore...But That Will Ever Happen!!
Keep Dreamin

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Lefty,

the seized meat will be thrown away most likely, as DNR does not have the right and for fear of liability to give out for human consumption meat that they don't know how it was harvested / processed, etc.

I would suspect that what we see in the pic is just the tip of the iceberg, but I counted 15 racks on the floor?

Having said that, I'd much rather see it all go to the landfill than into a paying accomplice's freezer, which is a sad part of the network that is all too often really hard to narrow down.

Thumbs up to COs for evidence gathering and most likely convictions in the near future. I have always suspected that unregulated moose harvest in this Province surpasses the regulated harvest...

Good stuff! My tax dollars are being put to good use!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just to mention something from the last few years something like two years ago during deer season I seen 26 moose and 2010 deer season I only saw one... big difference.
Just curious Olsilver...Where Were You Hunting Deer?
Any area's I deer hunt in are polluted with moose sign!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Lefty,

the seized meat will be thrown away most likely, as DNR does not have the right and for fear of liability to give out for human consumption meat that they don't know how it was harvested / processed, etc.

I would suspect that what we see in the pic is just the tip of the iceberg, but I counted 15 racks on the floor?
Totally Agree Bulls!!
And I would bet top dollar that them moose came from Up around Our Areas!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the meat is tested and determined that the meat is good and can be donated, the person who donates it is covered by the Charitable Donation of Food Act.

I am glad to see this ring busted and God only knows how many others are on the go. I would also love to see some of the people who have purchased the meat get busted and fined to the jewels as well! It takes a buyer to keep a seller going.

I absolutely love moose meat and would pass deer up any day for a feed of moose but would rather have a diet of just hot dogs than buy one sliver of moose meat.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bullseye
I read another article on this same bust and it said they had 28 moose racks, so thats just the bulls, how many cows and calfs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Judging from the comments following the article, I'm really amazed at how many poachers must pay attention to CBC news. No hunter, nor tree hugger, would ever make comments like that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What ever happened to the poaching ring that was busted up north in connection with the boys from Quebec a few years back???

Apparently they were running them over with beefed up bumpbers on their trucks. Way more people involved in that one including natives from Cross Point and the New Brunswick side.

The area I hunted in the GAspe was hit hard by this gang of idiots for years. One local hunter from Escuminac Quecbec told me his nephew was involved in it. He had all the details what was going on. Young punks getting all coked up and running over moose. Getting an indian friend to bring it back then selling the moose meat all over the place. Apparently the way they got busted is that an undercover DNR ranger placed an order for some moose meat.

Never did hear what happened??

·
Registered
571 Posts
28 Racks......Hats off To DNR and to hell I hope for those that are proven guilty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts