New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm almost out of moose sheds and need some more. I do a bit of carving on moose sheds and my shed pile is getting drastically low. I don't sell them but do it as a hobby and give them away. I've done quite a few and have them spread around the province, in Newfoundland, Ontario and a few in the states. I started carving antler in 2005 while at home recovering from an accident and find it fun but a bit messy. If you find any moose drops let me know. In the past I've done a carving in exchange for antlers. I almost forgot, a buddy of mine found a drop yesterday, so they've started to shed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I can find any, I would love to give them to you! I would love to see some carvings too, so if you have pictures it would be cool if you posted some.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm almost out of moose sheds and need some more. I do a bit of carving on moose sheds and my shed pile is getting drastically low. I don't sell them but do it as a hobby and give them away. I've done quite a few and have them spread around the province, in Newfoundland, Ontario and a few in the states. I started carving antler in 2005 while at home recovering from an accident and find it fun but a bit messy. If you find any moose drops let me know. In the past I've done a carving in exchange for antlers. I almost forgot, a buddy of mine found a drop yesterday, so they've started to shed.
I got a set for ya Sako.
Where you at?
I kept these for the past two years, intending to do somethign with them.
After 30 months, I still haven't figrued out what to do with 'em, so they're yours if you want 'em.
I'm in Moncton.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Can you get downtown? I'll be at work on Wed. and won't be able to get away but I'll throw 'em in the truck if you can come into town.
Are you working in Salisbury on Thursday? I might be passing through there in the early morning if that's better for you.
I think you'll like these horns. Lots o' meat on 'em! I was touring around in back of Adairs in the spring (I was the first person back there after the snow melted) and came upon one antler.
I thought, gee, wonder what the chances are of finding the other one? Likely slim to none.
But I got off the ATV and went for a walk and sure 'nuff, there it was, not far at all.
I'm happy to see it be of some use to someone. I was gonna mount it for a coat rack in the barn but never did because of a lack of space.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll postpone my trip until Thusday. I can meet you at Tim's in Salisbury or wherever you want.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Lobsterman. I'll see if I can find some pictures without names on them. A lot of the work I've done have people's names on them. I did one for a guy that has a camp on a salmon river in Nfld. and some others that don't include names. I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sako did one of his Moose Horn Carvings for us , it's very nice , he is an artist.

Thank's again .

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Greyghost, glad you enjoy it. I've found a few pics without names on them.

This one was still under construction. Did it for my oldest son's girlfriend in London. This was in the early stages. I took a picture of the bull in the picture. He came out on a bog and was trying get the scent of a cow that was in front of my stand.

This next one is the one I did for the guy with the camp in Nfld. It's on the Big East River and the salmon is raising for the first fly that my friend had ever tied. I included the fly after the pic was taken.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a couple more pics of the salmon.

This next one is the one I did for Greyghost and his son. Only the bear is being shown. I took a picture of this bear over a bait bucket. I substituted a stump in place of the bucket.

·
Registered
627 Posts
This last one was for friend and the picture was taken quite earl in the work. This bull came to the call after another younger bull responded. This guy didn't take very long in driving the younger bull away.

I try to personalize each carving so it means something to the owner and most of the carvings are from pictures I've taken so every one is different.

This is on Greyghosts also.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, those are great,Sako!
Thanks for sharing some pics!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. Every one I've done turns out better than the last. I must be getting more patient with age. I look at pictures of my first and compare it to my last and there is a huge difference. I picked up the antlers Lobsterman had and I'm sure I can use them. Thanks again, Lobsterman, You got yourself on my list of Must Dos. I should have added on my original post that it doesn't matter where you are, if you have antlers, I'll get them from you, somehow. The outfit I work for is all over N.B. and I work everywhere.

·
Registered
614 Posts
No thanks needed pal.
That's some nice work you do. Looks to me like those antlers are better off in your hands than sitting in my barn feeding mice!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The first 2 carvings I did were for a camp I owned. I sold the camp and left them with the camp. I decided to do a fast, simple one for my lawn. The 4x4 sign post was found in a ditch, and the antler is a shed I found so I guess this is my effort in recycling.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your Secret is safe with me G... :ph34r: I've got a bunch of folks saying they have some for me but we shall see how many "Pan" out. Love the work!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts