New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, has anyone else read the Letters to the Editor in todays Times and Transcript {Dec, 30 2010}, if you haven't you should.I feel we need to respond to this and I would encourage you to write to the editor. As much as he says "Its not all of them", the letter has a feel of negativity towards hunting, not so much certain individuals.He says that "they", meaning hunters,also grow pot on his land.Thats a pretty broad statement and is totally unfounded unless he saw someone with hunters orange on ,watering the plants and carrying a gun.....lol..or its the columbian cartel again, {Refer to article "What the heck is this" in this same forum}.But on a serious note this gives all of us a bad image in the eyes of the public . I think it would be in the best interest of our sport for us to speak out against this slanderous letter.I am sorry the gentleman in the article has had such a negative experiance, but don't accuse a group, for something a few individuals have done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many hunters aren't sporting

To The Editor:

They call hunting a sport.

They like to get out in the fresh air around houses in the country with their four-wheelers and cameras and, of course, their liquor.

I know all people don't fit in the 'idiot bracket' and some even obey and respect the laws and other people.

I know many people who love the fall weather and love to get out in the woods, but are scared to even go outside.

I have had hunters tell me there is no sense hunting in the woods because the deer are around the farms.

My question: is hunting a sport?

Or is it a sport to see how many laws you can break without getting caught?

I posted my land because hunters have shot into my field when I was there.

I have had trees cut on my land so they can see the apple trees, and cameras were set up to watch for game.

I have been told by hunters my signs are illegal and have had to post new signs because the old ones were destroyed.

They even went as far as to plant dope on my land and they continue to throw garbage on it.

This is to discourage me, I guess, and this is their sport.

Well now I have put up my own cameras and I will bring this to the right people and they can do something with them when I press charges.

I encourage other land owners to do the same.

I only want to be able to enjoy myself on my own property and not worry about hunters.

I don't believe all hunters are to be put into the same category, but I believe we who own land have a right to be able to enjoy it without having to chase hunters away.

Respect our rights and we will respect yours.

As for as I am concerned if you want to hunt on a farm, buy one.

Sell your four-wheel drive trucks, your camper, your camera and save money by not road hunting. Hunt in your own fields and enjoy hunting.

E. Robinson,

Moncton

·
Registered
614 Posts
How I wish folks on here would write letters to the editor!
People who have no problem expressing themselves very well here, for some reason simply will not use the most influential forum of them all, the letters to the editor section of their local newspaper.
Go figure!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Can you show me ONE letter defending hunting that wasn't printed? Let me know asap.
Can you show me the "sensationalized bs that is in the papers every other week" because I must have missed them too, despite working there and reading the rag daily, starting with the letters to the ed over my morning coffee.
And what did you do to rebutt the "sensationalized bs?"
Did you write a letter to the ed explaining to readers why the letter was bs and painting a true picture of hunting?
Gee, musta missed that, too.

GS, not calling you out here man. Just sayin' that you and most others on here can write a decent letter to the ed defending our favourite sport. It doesn't take any longer than going on here and bitching.
I don't get it. I really don't. How much frickin' harder is it to send your opinion to [email protected] for publication in the newspaper instead of hitting the "post" button on here?
Two people will respond to that letter by writing a letter to the ed. I can predict who they are because they are almost always the only two hunters who write letters to the ed at the T&T to defend us when someone who talks out of the wrong end of their body writes in slamming us.
So what's the problem? Why don't all o yas sit down right now and instead of responding to this post, which you can do any time, respond to the idiot who wrote the letter. Send it to [email protected] How hard is that? Could it possibly be any simpler?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow...where did you find that trash?T&T?

It never ceases to amaze me the kinda BS that get's past an editor of a daily paper in a rural province where 1 in 10 citizens or close to 1 in 4 adult males hunt at least some.Do these a$$clowns even know who their target audience or customers are?

reminds me though,I better get out there and check on the dope I planted when I was trespassing in November....if only I wasn't so drunk at the time maybe I'd remember where it was?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Send it to [email protected] How hard is that? Could it possibly be any simpler?
[/quote]

Done. see below

In response to Mr E Robinson's letter regarding his problem with hunters on his property. Call the RCMP, they are trespassing, get licence plate numbers from trucks and 4 wheelers, you have obviously spoken to the people on your property, get names. Call the authorities, these people are trespassing and are breaking the law.
Instead of dealing with the issue you choose to pen a letter in a public forum that paints all of us hunters as dope growing, garbage throwing, drunk trespassers cutting down your trees, shooting at you in your fields and violating your property rights. I'm not sure what exactly you hope to accomplish with your letter because it does nothing to resolve your issues. Call the authorities with the information you have gathered.
I run a retail store and because somebody shoplifts from me I don't call everybody in my store a thief.
The hunting community as a whole does not tolerate those behaviours and is behind you 100% in your effort to preserve your peace and property. The people who have trespassed on your property are slobs, thieves and criminals and we, the majority of the hunting community, would happily assist you in prevserving your property. Contact your local Fish and Game association and tell them of your problem. I'm confident they would do whatever they could to help you put up proper signage or fix a broken fence simply for the opportunity to get outdoors for an afternoon and help a neighbor with a tresspassing issue.
We, the hunting community, love the outdoors and all the wild things because we understand the relationships we have with nature and we better than anybody understand the sanctity of a mans home amoung the woodlands of this province.
So start to gather information and take it to the proper people to fix your problem instead of using a public forum to call all of us criminals and slobs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its a damn shame. The media is almost alwyas negative it sucks when some guy writes in just to bring us down too.

If only they tried to ban cars because one drunk guy ran someone over........ same stupid logic

·
Registered
328 Posts
Send it to [email protected] How hard is that? Could it possibly be any simpler?
Done. see below

In response to Mr E Robinson's letter regarding his problem with hunters on his property. Call the RCMP, they are trespassing, get licence plate numbers from trucks and 4 wheelers, you have obviously spoken to the people on your property, get names. Call the authorities, these people are trespassing and are breaking the law.
Instead of dealing with the issue you choose to pen a letter in a public forum that paints all of us hunters as dope growing, garbage throwing, drunk trespassers cutting down your trees, shooting at you in your fields and violating your property rights. I'm not sure what exactly you hope to accomplish with your letter because it does nothing to resolve your issues. Call the authorities with the information you have gathered.
I run a retail store and because somebody shoplifts from me I don't call everybody in my store a thief.
The hunting community as a whole does not tolerate those behaviours and is behind you 100% in your effort to preserve your peace and property. The people who have trespassed on your property are slobs, thieves and criminals and we, the majority of the hunting community, would happily assist you in prevserving your property. Contact your local Fish and Game association and tell them of your problem. I'm confident they would do whatever they could to help you put up proper signage or fix a broken fence simply for the opportunity to get outdoors for an afternoon and help a neighbor with a tresspassing issue.
We, the hunting community, love the outdoors and all the wild things because we understand the relationships we have with nature and we better than anybody understand the sanctity of a mans home amoung the woodlands of this province.
So start to gather information and take it to the proper people to fix your problem instead of using a public forum to call all of us criminals and slobs.
[

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well said Daveyn , hope you sent it , will be looking for publication
Daveyn's letter was published today as The Letter of the Day.
Two thumbs up. Let's see some more!
BTW, you must include your name (obviously) and a phone number so the newspaper can verify that it was you who sent in the letter. They won't publish your phone number but they will publish your name. They don't accept anonymous letters.
Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well Daveyn, You are a MAN of your word , read you post on TT today , THANKS for speaking up for us hunters !!!, I for one am very grateful

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good job! Letter was well written and to the point.Hats off to the Times & Transcript for making it the letter of the day.

Generally speaking, the big three papers in NB are pretty good at publishing pro hunting letters.Over the years, I have sent numerous letters representing myself as a hunter and the club I belong to and all have been printed.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great letter Daveyn!

·
Registered
614 Posts
700, I do believe I saw one of yours in the T&T very recently.
If that was you, another fine job!
I don't think folks realize that the letters to the editor section is read by almost everyone who reads a newspaper and can have a great effect on public opinion. That includes the good folks in the Centennial Building in Fredericton.
Good stuff all around!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great letter Daveyn!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well it certainly isn't nice to have all hunters labeled and lumped in with the people he refered to in his story , and most of us would not even consider that type as a hunter. But on the other hand we certainly do have a serious groing problem in this provice in relation to the lack of respect that some of our peers as well as other users show to private land in general . In my opinion it is a poor excuse to say it was not properly posted therefore i'll do as I please , if you see a sign new or old you should know you are not welcome and stay out . You should be aware especialy on a farm (where everyone feels they are somehow entitled to go because thats where the deer are)that there are going to be conflics with people working there/ farm animals in area/crop damage etc. We may not like to talk about it but some of our peers/friends think that that because we bought a license we can go and trespass with atv's and as long as we think we didn't cause damage it's ok . After all the deer belong to us all right??? And we need to realise it is a big job keeping everything properly poasted, especialy when you own multiple parcels of land.... and for no benifit other than keeping someone away from what is your own (land). In the future this will come to a head and we will probaly need permission before we go on anyones property. I think right now people should be showing more respect and finding out who owns the land (very easy to do at service nb)and asking before they go, will keep more areas open to hunt in the future.Once the land owner gets fed up and posts it ,it will likely be no to everyone after that. PS: think of the little bit of work you put into making a food plot(a lot less time/cost than what the farmer has put into his place trying to make a living)I don't think we would feel any diferent than him when it would happen to us.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts