New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I headed out to my stand. I sat from 7:00 till about 11:00 and my back was getting sore and I was getting cold and wet, so I decided to head on back to the truck for lunch and to warm up. before heading back to the stand I put on my winter coat and plastic rain suit pants which squeak every step you make. I sat again in the stand for about an hour and my back was once again starting to hurt and feet were getting cold again but I decided to hang in there a little longer at 2:30ish Im leaning back in my stand and out of nowhere I see a buck 30 feet away from me coming in from the right, instantly my heart starts pounding. I think to myself how am I gonna get in shooting position without him noticing me? I manage to take of my mits and turn his direction but with my heart pounding so hard I lift the rifle and try to steady it but I cant control my breath and I fog up the lens while I try and wipe it off he bounces away and starts blowing really loud(I never heard a deer blow before it would scared the **** outa me if I didnt see him). After this scenario im thinking damn the first buck I ever seen in my life comes in perfect and I mess it all up. Im pretty discouraged with my self but I did learn a valuable lesson, need to be ready all the time never know when one is gonna show up. After this encounter I wasnt cold anymore and sat the rest of the day just hopping that he might come back but no luck. I had a major case of buck fever it was almost like he showed up outa thin air I didn't hear him coming or expect to see any deer nevermind a buck. My first year deer hunting and im offically hooked reminds me of the first salmon I caught but 10x more intense.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is what keeps us going back. Hope you get another chance! Good luck and may God bless you with another encounter!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got chills just reading your post. They are sneaky! The bigger the sneaker!

My grandfather told me - "Treat every single minute as if it was your first in the stand. Because as soon as you get a bit discouraged or don't pay attention then that is exactly when you will see the big one"

If I could have done this more often I would have several more big monsters on my wall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That heart pounding adrenaline rush you felt is why even the most seasoned veteran hunters still endure the cold early mornings and long wet days in the woods.When it all comes down to that one instant moment you just can't beat the rush!That thrill combined with the surroundings where this all takes place........man you just can't beat it!You got yourself a taste of it now so keep at it,enjoy the ride and you will get your chance again.Good Luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey water_runner I need to thank you for that webs-ight you pm'd me it helped me find a spot to hunt on crown land and yea im even more hooked on whitetail hunting then salmon(for now anyways). everytime I think about that encounter it gives me the chills(was an adrenalin rush like never before). I just hope it isn't a one time thing even if it is il be in the woods cuz you just never know.

·
Registered
495 Posts
HAHAHA, lol. Fun eh? Yes they can be very sneaky. One day I was sitting beside a railway track, good long view down over a swale. It raining, got the yellow ransuit on, had grunted a few timeS, all of a sudden a deer blows right behind me and bounds off. Bet it wasn't 5 feet behind....LOL, damn near crapped my pants.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great story, made my night!
Keep at it. I look forward to your next tale about the first Deer you field dress, good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts