New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
video from this morning. keep in mind this was a spine shot and the deer flops a bit then I shoot him again. Buck was dead in 30 seconds. Slow motion at the end shows him squatting to jump on the shot. It is amazing to see the amount of blood start pouring out of him just before I hit him with the 2nd arrow.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is a chunky looking spike! Good thing on a spinal is that there isn't any tracking to do; good follow up shot.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I got alot of video over 2 sits. Cant upload all at once to youtube. Glad to get the kill on video with the new cam and camera arm also. Tenders/eggs for breakfast in the morning.

This bow has a lot of meaning to me. A real good friend of mine died of cancer and gave me his bow a few months before his passing last august 30. He thought it had a few more kills in it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
man awesome video great looking deer, should make for some tastey meals and your buddy was right. that bow still has some magic

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats NBGuide, great video, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice shooting NBG,looks like if he hadn't of jumped the string a bit you would have made a perfect lung shot.Thats going to make a nice winters worth of eating there!Congrats.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
"Great Job" getting another arrow in him quickly nbguide! I hit a spike the same one time, and I actually couldn't hit him again from the stand, because he was down behind a fallen log. I quickly climbed down thoguh, and went up and put anther one in the vitals "point blank". The great thing about archery hunting, is that an arrow doesn't ruin any meat like a bullet does. Congrats,and enjoy that venison this winter.

·
Registered
726 Posts
"Great Job" getting another arrow in him quickly nbguide! I hit a spike the same one time, and I actually couldn't hit him again from the stand, because he was down behind a fallen log. I quickly climbed down thoguh, and went up and put anther one in the vitals "point blank". The great thing about archery hunting, is that an arrow doesn't ruin any meat like a bullet does. Congrats,and enjoy that venison this winter.
Thanks AN. This is the 4th buck I've spined. I need to refine my aiming to lower than what I think. If this deer didnt start to jump the string he'd have been hit better. I did the same thing with an 8 pt a 4 years ago and had to climb down also to finish the job. It is a good thing the arrow does little damage, otherwise the backstraps would have been ruined on this spike. Start canning him up this evening. Beautiful weather to let him hang in.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Your welcome! In the video you clearly can see that he "ducked" the arrow by quite a bit. And you have to remember that "your" older model bow "is" a bit slower than some new models. Another thing to consider when shooting from an elevation, is that your arrow trajectory will be a little higher as well. It depends on how far you are up in the tree, as well as the distance your target is at. That's why I usually try to check how my "ground sighted" pin settings, compare to my treestand point of impacts. In any case, as long as you get that second arrow in as you did, he will bleed out very quickly. And that is how an arrow kills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts