New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't sorry about that, I taught you guys would be able to see it.Here's a few thing they talk about.

4. Status of Crossbow Legislation: Draft legislation including training requirements has been directed to " Policy and Priorities" downtown for appropriate follow-up. Target implementation date is September 1, 2011. The Legislature sits next week and will likely entertain the required number of readings. Also, any proposed legislation changes or amendments must now be posted on the government website to allow a thirty (30) day period for public input and feedback. The officials present state that the procedural requirements make it such that it is virtually impossible for implementation prior to the above target date.

5. Public Moose Draw: In keeping with the Premier's electoral promise to revise the Moose draw format, DNR are currently talking to the NB Wildlife Federation regarding proposed changes for the 2011 draw. A five-year pooling system is currently being studied. DNR officials appreciate the merits of holding public draw however, the logistics in term of resources, location arrangements, the number of draws made at each location ( if more than one) , etc… will need to be worked out before any firm decision can be made. Currently, the draw is done electronically ( computerized) in all 25 Wildlife Management Zones during the first week of July. A public draw would also have to be scheduled in this time frame due to the pre-requisites involved.

7. Proposed Changes to Bow Season: DNR officials reiterated that they are not opposed to this proposal. They cautioned that depending upon the duration of the bow season, hunters may have to contend with a change from camo clothing which is permissible in August, to a requirement to wear hunter orange which is effective September 1rst. For this reason, and to avoid possible confusion, they suggested that we may want to propose any extension within the month of September where the Bear bow season is presently scheduled. A letter to formally propose such extension will be addressed to the Minister of DNR.

9.Extension of Moose Season: Kevin agrees that the Moose population in N.B. is healthy. For this reason, DNR have added 200 licenses to last year's draw. There were 3400 licences made available for the 2010 Moose hunt. The harvest rate is around 70%. We reiterated the fact that non-resident hunters find a three-day hunt unattractive due to the time and expense involved. We would have a much better chance of attracting such client hunters if the season were to be extended to 4 or 5 days. DNR officials cautioned however that any such extension could result in the lowering of Moose permits made available by the Province. However, it was suggested that an official request can be presented in writing to the Minister. This will be done

10. Mandatory Wearing of Hunter Orange: Brief discussion was held regarding the possibility of hunters wearing hunter orange to and from the Bear stands and being permitted to wear camo clothing only while at the stands. Suggested that such a proposal could be made formally in writing to the Minister and that we specify therein what period this proposal is intended to cover, i.e. Fall Bear bow season only…or other. Follow-up will be done.

12. Additional Non-Resident Bear Licence for One Hunter: This would simply require a Regulation change. DNR officials are of the opinion that this would likely have to be offered to Resident Bear hunters as well. Suggested that a " cap" would likely have to be applied i.e. a limit of two (2) Bear licences for any hunter wishing to purchase additional tags. A formal written proposal will be addressed to the Minister of DNR.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks for the information. If they ever implemented number 12 (Additional Non-Resident Bear Tags) without allowing residents to harvest a second bear would result in a huge uproar I would think.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
to add, I think if number 9 is implemented, and impacted the number of Resident licenses available.. guaranteed a public uproar will occur.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agreed, #9 (if it ends up reducing the number of licenses available) is a big no no. If they can do that without reducing the number if resident licenses though, that would be great.

#12 would be awesome, as long as they do the same for residents.

·
Registered
78 Posts
CRL: Good stuff buddy! what about resolutions #1-3, what are they about?

I know I know, I ask a lot! But I think it's nice to see what other groups are working towards.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CRL: Good stuff buddy! what about resolutions #1-3, what are they about?

I know I know, I ask a lot! But I think it's nice to see what other groups are working towards.
1. The meeting was called to order at 1:35 PM.

2. J-P. circulated the Minutes of the September 16, 2010 meeting to those present.

3. Cade stated that the Deputy Minister was scheduled to attend another meeting this afternoon and will be unable to join us. However, following expressions of interest and concern expressed by committee members at our last meeting regarding Deer Yard Management, he invited Steve Gordon of DNR's Habitat Management Division to join us at 2:15PM in order to provide further
information and to answer any questions on this topic

14. Wild Turkey Initiative: Kevin stated that the Minister has met with members of the Maliseet Conservation Council and the Wild Turkey Federation. He mentioned that our President was also in attendance. His understanding of the current status of this file is that the previous Minister's letter permitting the keeping and hunting of Wild Turkeys in a "preserve" setting similar to Pheasants, is no longer valid. What is being looked at now is the releasing of Wild Turkeys into the wild with the possibility of being hunted accordingly. Kevin believes that an Environmental Impact Assessment is currently undertaken as per preliminary requirements. He added that our Association would be well informed on the progress of this initiative as we have representatives closely involved with the two organizations previously mentioned.

15. Deer Yard Management: Steve Gordon of DNR showed us a map indicating some 834 Deer Yards throughout the province. There are some 265,000 hectares of Crown forest in N.B. of which approximately 125,000 hectares are considered to be " active" in terms of Deer population. Under the previous government, the " Conservation Forest" was reduced from 30% to 22% of these "active" hectares while at the same time increasing the " Protected Areas" from 4% to 8%. DNR do an aerial survey of Deer Yards to confirm the various levels of activity. This data is used in evaluating requests for cutting rights made to DNR. Such requests must contain proposed management plans (multi-year) for any identified and affected Deer Yards. The current government has declared a moratorium on the above reduction of "Conservation Forest" and will be seeking public input. A presentation by DNR officials on this topic is to be made at the NB Wildlife Federation's Annual General Meeting to be held April 8th and 9th in Moncton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts