New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an itch I've had for quite a while,does anybody have exp. Or know someone who is familiar with traditional archery.I'm looking at getting a recurve,maybe a Bear Grizzly or if someone has a better idea giv'er.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm just kind of wondering what to expect,what I should look for in a bow and any little bits of advice u could give.I shoot a compound now but I always liked the simplicity of a trditional bow.Or maybe they're more complicated than I think.Do u only shoot trad?Do u hunt with it?Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well I'm just kind of wondering what to expect,what I should look for in a bow and any little bits of advice u could give.I shoot a compound now but I always liked the simplicity of a trditional bow.Or maybe they're more complicated than I think.Do u only shoot trad?Do u hunt with it?Thanks.
First thing to expect, it doesn't have sights & it will take alot of time & practice to become a good shot.
Second, it will give you the biggest feeling of accomplishment when you get to be a good shot & then hunt with it.

As far as bows go, like most things, it depends on what you want to spend.
I would recommend not going over a 50lb bow for starters, 50lbs will kill anything in North America.
They don't have sights, cams, specific draw lengths & aren't really meant to be high tech or "fast", when you hold the bow & you like how it feels, than that is the bow for you. It can be long, short, longbow, recurve, selfbow, fiberglass, wood, carbon or whatever & that is the best part, if it feels good in your hand, fits your budget & you like it than great!!!

The simplicity is also what I liked & unless your planning on getting into competitive shooting, they aren't complicated.

Yes I shoot a Howard Hill longbow, I've never owned or shot a compound, & yes I do hunt with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not sure if any archery stores would have any in stock, but most can order you one. Any bows I've tried or thought about buying were at traditional shoots or just 3D shoots, theres always someone selling one.

Other than that, internet is the only place you will find a good selection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not sure if any archery stores would have any in stock, but most can order you one. Any bows I've tried or thought about buying were at traditional shoots or just 3D shoots, theres always someone selling one.

Other than that, internet is the only place you will find a good selection.
All good advise given above!
A couple of things here. Unlike compound bows, trad bows are more tailored to fit the shooter in that you pick the style that suits you. The length of bow should be determined by your drawlength. If you have long arms, a longer bow will work better than a short bow. Longer bows are more forgiving and smoother to draw I find.
Traditional longbows are smoother to draw than recurves depending on the design.
Lots of critters have been taken with the Bear Grizzly. The Bear Montana is a great affordable longbow.
Personally, I shoot both recurves and longbows cuz I build them myself. But it's a personal thing and I lean toward the longbows for smoothness of draw and release.

Lots of great bowyers out there online to pick from...I guess it all depends on budget.
With Trad, speed is secondary...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I shoot trad gear too and recurves have always felt 'right' to me. I like the Martin / Howatt bows. I used to use a Martin Hunter with a 60# draw. I would definitely recommend that bow but not that weight unless you are at the gym all the time. 60# takes a lot of practice and strength to maintain accuracy and I would not start there. Like they said 50# is more than enough for any animal in NA.

I recently bought an older 50# Howatt Hi-Speed online from a dealer. The price was fantistic, shipping was fast and the item was exactly as described. This bow is forty years old, is in mint condition and shoots better and smoother than my modern one. He sells a varienty of used bows and gets new ones all the time. Here is the link: http://myworld.ebay.com/aigplastic/

Welcome to the world of trad!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent advice from all of you and it's much appreciated.I'm thinking about going to the 3-d shoot in SJ on the 2nd,are there many trad shooters at these?I'm thinking about trying 50 or 55# but I would like to try one out first.I'm 6' and my draw length is 29.5,what length of bow would be good for me?Thanks,I love this place.

·
Registered
263 Posts
hvywght - generally when people switch to trad gear their draw length decreases a little bit, but not everyone. If your draw length stays at 29.5, you will want to go with the lower weight bow. For every extra inch of draw length over 28" a bow will pull around three pounds heavier. That would turn your 50# bow into a 54.5# bow. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I heard 'ol Wil switched over from the compound to trad about 15 years ago. The Belleisle club is pretty much all trad shooters other than me and maybe one other
I still have an old longbow but sold my 50# Bear Kodiak Magnum a few years ago. I think if I got another Bear it would be the longer Super Kodiak, never did care for the shorter KM. There are a lot of beautiful trad bows out there. There is a trad shoot here in Belleisle every summer for a full weekend that draws a lot of shooters. I went out last year and borrowed a bow and shot the 3D round. They are a great bunch of guys and always willing to help a new shooter. I recommend anyone interested in maybe trying trad shooting to stop in. Lot of guys there are willing to let you shoot their bows so you can get an idea of what you like.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard 'ol Wil switched over from the compound to trad about 15 years ago. The Belleisle club is pretty much all trad shooters other than me and maybe one other
I still have an old longbow but sold my 50# Bear Kodiak Magnum a few years ago. I think if I got another Bear it would be the longer Super Kodiak, never did care for the shorter KM. There are a lot of beautiful trad bows out there. There is a trad shoot here in Belleisle every summer for a full weekend that draws a lot of shooters. I went out last year and borrowed a bow and shot the 3D round. They are a great bunch of guys and always willing to help a new shooter. I recommend anyone interested in maybe trying trad shooting to stop in. Lot of guys there are willing to let you shoot their bows so you can get an idea of what you like.
Do you prefer the longbow over recurve.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Gotta say the longbow feels smoother throughout the draw and shot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eastern made some points but the one I want to add is if you want a bow made to you go talk to easternarcher. I will add some photos of a bow he made me. He knows his stuff and makes a bow that is more a piece of art but also works like a dream.
I will up load photos and then add.

Easternarcher can describe the woods he used but on the bambo face he took the time to add a dark stain on the knuckles of the bambo then a green stanin and two brown colors back to natural all the way down the bow to give it a camo Look. The Pictures do not do it justice.

Amazing work. Get in touch with him. you will not regret it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Eastern made some points but the one I want to add is if you want a bow made to you go talk to easternarcher. I will add some photos of a bow he made me. He knows his stuff and makes a bow that is more a piece of art but also works like a dream.
I will up load photos and then add.

Easternarcher can describe the woods he used but on the bambo face he took the time to add a dark stain on the knuckles of the bambo then a green stanin and two brown colors back to natural all the way down the bow to give it a camo Look. The Pictures do not do it justice.

Amazing work. Get in touch with him. you will not regret it.
Thanks for the kind words Stilllearnin'....I try.
Anybody know when and where this shoot is on Jan.02?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts