New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion on witch broadhead would be better between f-15 expandable or the dual blade by Carbon Express

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its not that i only have those two choices ...only because im new in bowhunting...i use a mathews switchback xt and ill try it for my first bear hunt this spring and i only want a few suggestion for broadheads !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard alot of good from the G5 ....im hesitating on the Carbon Express F-15 dual blade...i heard good comments on those blades too

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Muzzy for me

I like G5 as well...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Never used a fixed blade and never will. Rage 2 blade will leave a blood trail on everything..

Alot of my hunters use rage 2 blade with excellent results.

I use the cheapest $3 mechanical Calais Walmart has. I've killed double digit deer and 1/2 dozen bear with them the last 10 years with excellent results also. Never lost an animal with them and wont be changing anytime soon. They used to be Eastman outdoors silver strikes but I beleive they are called Carbon Express now. Could be the one's your talking about.

Heres the one's I use with awesome results: Torrid SS Broadhead

I use them as a 85 grain broadhead.

With the mechanical's they have I dont know why anyone wouldnt use them. Bigger cutting diameter. Fly like a fieldpoint (no tuning), reasonable price,

Fixed Blade: better chance of accidentally cutting yourself, have to be tuned to fly right, better chance of accidentally cutting your bow string, smaller cutting diameter 7/8" versus 2" on some mechanicals,

Regardless on what you decide to use. SHOT PLACEMENT will determine if your killing or wounding...

Best of Success to you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry nb guide, but you are wrong, Read all the horror stories about mechanicals not working and you might think again. For me tunning is not an issue at all, I whant my arrows shooting right anyways, not only does it help you shoot more accurate it actually helps with penetration as well to have a well tuned bow, your arrows can be having the same impact but if they arrent flying right, the tail could be left right up down, and your arrow is hitting at an angle to where the broadhead whent in, thus taking away from penetration. Also most of the fixed blades are not 7/8, I will be using 1 1/8 this year most likely. For me it wasnt some much the worry of them not opening or whatever, but I just couldnt stand bumping up agaisnt something and my rages and my t3s deploying. I kille a deer and bear with the rages and they killed both animals and quickly to great blood trail as well.

If ya cant tune your bow to shoot fixed blades, well sorry, you dont no how to tune a bow plane and simple.

For me It fixed blades, for now anyways, if I where to use any mech it would be the spitfire, the rage just has WAY to many bad reviews on them, Trust me when they work they are devistating no doubt, actually many outfitters are actually now banning the use of rage from heads on there hunts.
Yeah sorry about the bad advice I dont have a clue what I'm talking about. Duckhunter I dont "read" about someone else's experience and decide from there. I go by what I see with my own eyes. We kill 20+ bear and 1/2 dozen bucks each year with meachanicals. Like I said I've killed 1/2 dozen bear and around 15 deer with those broadheads. Figure all those numbers in with what my hunters show me each year and it gives a good idea about what works.

Oh yeah, what do you say when you screw up and wound an animal.....the mechanical didnt work...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I meant that you where wrong about saying that fixed blades arent as good as mechanicals. And then I was explaning why I whent aways from the rages, sorry if it didnt come out that way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have used both fixed and mechanical. i have not taken alot of animals with my bow.i shot my bear with g5 montecs i was in my stand the bear was ten yards away facing me i shot him between the shoulder blades and the arrow passed completely through and came out his groin area and only went 40 yards.i shot a deer with mechanical spit fires shot the deer behind the for shoulder with complete pass thru the deer only went 20 yards.so what i am saying is both types r good and it is what ever u prefer

·
Registered
726 Posts
Also if for some reason I do pull my shot, im more confident in my one piece head punching threw the bone on the shoulder, then I am with a 2 inch blade going threw it. I shot a partige this year with a g5 and it hit a rock, nuthen wrong with it, sharpened it back up and will probably use again, If that where with a rage, shes long gone my friend. Bone will have somewhat the same effect. Also a 1 1/8 hole threw the boiler will kill just as well as a 2 inch hole.
LOL I was waiting for the old addage "fixed broadhead will go through bone". Deer shoulder isnt very tough to fly through with either broadhead. Bear shoulder bone....I'd have to see a broadhead of any kind fly through that with my own eyes to beleive it....

As far as reusing broadheads. I dont like the idea anyways. Do you keep using it until you lose an animal?? I kill and retire it myself. Broadheads are too cheap $$ to have to re use them IMO.

The guy ask for opinions and I gave mine with my experiences like you gave yours. I just didnt say sorry nbduckhunter but you are wrong. And like it or not it does come down to experience in the field. I've been fortunate to be around alot of bowhunters who kill game and I'm no slouch myself. My experience and what I see from them forms my opinion. I had one fixed blade hunter last year...sucky bloodtrail with no recovery at the end....BUT like I said before it aint the broadhead...it's the shot placement...

I'll keep using the Torrid SS for $3.00 each and I wouldnt want to be the animal in front of me....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Duckhunter to say you disagree is one thing. To say someone is wrong because they DISAGREE with you makes you sound like a know it all prick.

Their is no right or wrong to this question Genius.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
nbduckhunter, after reading this post.. I'd say you're the one who's useless... if you want give your opinion, based on your own experience, i'd say everyone is open to reading that.. but to continually tell someone they are wrong, based on facts from their own experience.. you're a tool... they sell both fixed and mechanical broadheads cause we all have our own opinion on what works for us.. not you... so you use what you want and I'll use what I want.. and NBguide can use what he wants... and there's nothing you can say that will ever change my mind.. so don't waste your time with a reply.. I don't wanna hear it..

·
Registered
726 Posts
Lol ok I see ya edited your post where ya said thay are better, hahahaah good one, maybe you realized you where also wrong. Lol

If people are wondering where im coming from on my post, NBGUIDE edited his post, saying that mechanicals are better because you dont have to tune your bow,and ya have a bigger cut diameter, also more accurate,

Then said the down side of fixed blades where that ya had to tune your bow, less blood trails, and less cutting contact, somewheres along the lines,

I was simply saying he was wrong that they are better, He must have realized this and edited out his post, HMMMMMMMMMMM wonder who was wrong bud
Never edited anything. You are wrong. Never used the word better. Bullseye would you please verify this.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Since editing out your previous post after an argument has be made, you have made this thread useless, Moderators feel free to delete this topic. As im done talking to someone who is backpedelling.
Moderators please verify that it was NEVER EDITED for duckhunter. By the way I'm not backpedaling at all. YOUR wrong thinking you read the word better. I provided some pro's and con's and Never ever used the word better.

·
Registered
726 Posts
WELL NBGUIDE editted the above post, maybe he realized what he orignally said was in fact WRONG,

Sorry nb guide, but you are wrong, Read all the horror stories about mechanicals not working and you might think again. For me tunning is not an issue at all, I whant my arrows shooting right anyways, not only does it help you shoot more accurate it actually helps with penetration as well to have a well tuned bow, your arrows can be having the same impact but if they arrent flying right, the tail could be left right up down, and your arrow is hitting at an angle to where the broadhead whent in, thus taking away from penetration. Also most of the fixed blades are not 7/8, I will be using 1 1/8 this year most likely. For me it wasnt some much the worry of them not opening or whatever, but I just couldnt stand bumping up agaisnt something and my rages and my t3s deploying. I kille a deer and bear with the rages and they killed both animals and quickly to great blood trail as well.

If ya cant tune your bow to shoot fixed blades, well sorry, you dont no how to tune a bow plane and simple.

For me It fixed blades, for now anyways, if I where to use any mech it would be the spitfire, the rage just has WAY to many bad reviews on them, Trust me when they work they are devistating no doubt, actually many outfitters are actually now banning the use of rage from heads on there hunts.
Wrong again duckhunter. Dont be accusing me of editing. I hope Bullseye or Dave can confirm this so you can eat a nice piece of humble **** pie.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
LOL, Does a thread ever stay on topic around here. LOL

Just my 2 cents, id have no issue using either mech or fixed.
(To each there own)

Mainly have ole muzzy 100s in my quiver, but i am thinking of getting myself some ROCKETBROADHEAD Steelhead (or steelhead XP) mechnanicals.

Certain either one behind the shoulder will have the same results.

NBGUIDE, nailed a coyote with them torrids (they were the silver-strikes before Carbon express, bought out the other company).worked fine, deployed and killed. cant find them in town, where do you order them from in ME.)

Old school mechs but work fine..

with the higher speeds of todays bows, i personally feel, some of the arguments regarding mech heads are no longer vaild, (faster bows hitting harder with more KE)
But thats just my opinion..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts