New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts

My hunting buddy and I got these today. Neither of us could identify them. To me they kind of look like white-winged scoters. Any idea?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Looks like gadwall to me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's a scaup either. Don't scaups have yellow eyes? These eyes black. They're also just a little bigger then teals.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we got bufflehead saturday , it looks a lot like them was the head a light brown
Nope. head was black as night and back was kind of a dark grey/black, belly was kind of light grey. Eyes black also. There was some white on the wings as you can see in the picture. At first I thought it was a diver, but it didn't have the diver's beak with the hooked tip and serrated sides.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but its definetly a diver, from the white bars on the wing and feet far back. Id say a ringneck or a bufflehead, def not a scaup, unles they are very immature, hens will have a large white blotch at the base of the bill, males have bright yellow eyes and blue heads scaup are quite fat ckunky birds and both hens n drakes have have plaine blue bills, even immature brds are still a lot bigger than teal. If if they are small like a teal id say buffleheads which are close to the size of a teal,or immature ringnecks, ringnecks are a bit bigger than teal about the size of woodduck, ...what did the bill look like, if it had any pattern or markings on it near the base its a ringneck, if not bufflehead

·
Registered
456 Posts
from what i remebmer scaup have blue feet also...which those guys def dont have

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if it's one of those ducks that you have to boil them with a rock, then when the rock is soft, throw away the duck and eat the rock?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Listen to pond jumper boys he may not say as such but your are talking to a Biologist. But he is still just a teal killer to me ! hehehe

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just sent the pic to my brother who is a duck biologist. Will let you know when he gets back to me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
L But he is still just a teal killer to me ! hehehe
Atleast someone can hit them when they go by doin mach II, i figure all you "big duck" guys would gladly shoot teal but don't bother and leave them to save yourself some embarrassment because you know you can't hit them hahah

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Brother just called me back. He said its hard to tell from the pics without having them in hand but said they were female goldeneye. He said to confim it you should look at the eyes and see if they are yellow. Open the wing and you should see a couple bars as well.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Hmmmm, my expert opinion would be that all 3 are "DEAD DUCKS"
LOL

(Sorry...
just boring at work today.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Brother just called me back. He said its hard to tell from the pics without having them in hand but said they were female goldeneye. He said to confim it you should look at the eyes and see if they are yellow. Open the wing and you should see a couple bars as well.
As I already stated further up, the eyes are black. The feet's webbing are kind of bluish grey with orange toes, if that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts