New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has been coming in our house through the cat door, eating the cat food, then vanishing before I can have a look at it. This thing is FAST and QUIET: Every time at night, when we hear it munching on the dry catfood, the second I lift the covers and put one foot down on the floor, it's GONE, but you don't hear it running on the floor.

I've tried setting up a trail cam, but it doesn't pick it up (either the flash is too bright and all you see is white, or there's nothing in the picture at all). Last night I tried jerry-rigging the cat door, so that it can come IN, but would not be able to go back out, however it somehow busted through my trap, and I didn't hear a thing. I re-set it and busted through it myself, and it definitely made a loud enough sound that we would've heard it.

What the heck is it???? When my cat runs in the house, you definitely hear the footsteps, and it isn't strong enough to bust through my jerry-rigged cat door when it's locked. The door is 4"x4".

-Also: does anyone know where I could get one of those traps that looks like a little cage, and when an animal goes in to eat the bait the door closes in behind them? What are they called, anyway?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a raccoon. You can get live cage traps at Canadian Tire. Maybe try the trail cam outside facing near the door. You could put some food out there to see what is coming. Could be a feral housecat as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Feral cat would be a good guess.
I've heard from a lot of people who have one of THESE come into their homes, too. They are fearless.

A trailcam set up right in front of the food dish doesn't work?
I have one of those cages Stroover if you want to borrow it. I'm in Moncton just off Elmwood Dr. and I work downtown. Just let me know.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If its busting your door lock, I would say '****. Weasel would have been my second guess. Those things are lightning fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was having a similar problem as you but it was solved when the weasel encountered a jump trap in the basement. I tried 3 different trail cameras and none of them caught an image of this little critter. Oh well, problem solved, good luck

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! I got a cage trap from Canadian Tire today. Can't wait to catch the little bugger tonight! Once I put the cat food up on the kitchen counter, and whatever it was STILL got up there and had at 'er. Can a weasel jump up kitchen counters?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Weasels are incredibly agile. I've seen them climb up a wall like nothing. One wouldn't have trouble getting up onto your counter.
I'm interested to see what it is. Good luck catchin it Stroover.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weasels are incredibly agile. I've seen them climb up a wall like nothing. One wouldn't have trouble getting up onto your counter.
I'm interested to see what it is. Good luck catchin it Stroover.
The trap is set and ready to go! I also have the camera ready so I can post some pics of "the catfood caper"! =-D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever it was didn't come by last night. We'll try again tonight...

Oh yeah, about that ("hope it's not a skunk"): I heard that if a skunk is in one of those traps, he cannot lift his tail and therefore cannot squirt you. Has anybody ever heard this?

·
Registered
141 Posts
My dad catches 2 or 3 every year in his garden and doesn't have any problems, just watch out when you release them and never shoot them in the cage, you'll know why after the first time,lol. When I caught some I usualy throw a tarp over the cage and carry it that way with no problems. Ron

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad catches 2 or 3 every year in his garden and doesn't have any problems, just watch out when you release them and never shoot them in the cage, you'll know why after the first time,lol. When I caught some I usualy throw a tarp over the cage and carry it that way with no problems. Ron
How DO you watch out when you release a skunk? What's the technique to that????

·
Registered
571 Posts
If it`s In side and it`s a skunk you are screwed, if out side approach with a tarp or sheet of plastic in front of you through it over it and then transport. If it was me it would be to the nearest brook and you can figure out the rest.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks, Old Guide!

Here's a new devellopment:

So, I set the trap outside on the deck last night (in case it WAS a skunk). The son of a **** done moved the trap about 2 feet, AND got most of the food out of the trap withoug going inside. The bugger had to reach in through the holes. The food bowl was almost empty, and there were pieces of cat food scattered on the floor of the trap when I lifted it. I figure it was maybe trying to reach in and slap the pieces out of the bowl, then eating the ones he managed to get out of there.

So, now I'm thinking maybe it IS a raccoon. 1)it's strong enough to bust through my jerry rigged cat door lock to escape.
2) it's strong enough to move the live trap.
3) it might have finger-like phallanges

Tonight I have to find a way to outsmart it (I haven't been successful yet as the little bugger always outsmarts me!). It's becomming obsessive, guys! I gotta find a way to make it impossible for it to reach inside to the food from outside, yet it still sees the food. I'm thinking finding some smaller screen to cover the last foot of the trap or something like that. I'm not gonna quit till I win, or at least until I know what it IS. It's driving me nuts! Lol!

·
Registered
614 Posts
By now it has figured out that there will be food in that wired box.
So you can block off three sides of it (and the top too for that matter) and it will still realize there is food in there.
One old trick is to do this (make sure he can't reach in by blocking off three sides and the top) and put food in the trap, but don't set the trap. Let it enter and take the food. Let it do this for two or three nights.
After that, the thing will relax and be comfortable entering the trap.
THAT's when you set the trap door to close.
Good luck man. That's the best I got for ya!

·
Registered
495 Posts
This sounds like a '**** they are super intelligent, and adept at getting food. Not too many animals would be smart enough to go through the side.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Checked this morning, and the trap was sprung! I pull it out of the wood casing I had to prevent it from getting the food from outside, and there was nothing in there. Son of a gun! He'll get his!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is starting to sound like Looney Tunes Roadrunner. BEEP BEEP !!!
Maybe this will be the thing that puts you over the edge ! LOl
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is starting to sound like Looney Tunes Roadrunner. BEEP BEEP !!!
Maybe this will be the thing that puts you over the edge ! LOl
Good luck and keep us updated.
Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! that waskally wabbit!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts