New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Need some help/advice

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Trappercase 
#1 ·
Well, I'm new to the site and fairly new to NB. I moved here about two years ago and I'm living just outside of Riverview in Lower Coverdale. I used to hunt quite a bit growing up in Cape Breton, but had to put it down when I moved to Halifax for school. But I'm finally at a spot in my life where I can start pursuing the sport again. I have a 18 month old lab that I've been working with, but we've hit a bit of a wall. I don't know where to take him to actually get him on some live birds. Now I don't want anybody to think I'm looking for your special grouse hunting spot, I would never ask for that. But can somebody push or point me in the right direction to get him on some birds. I don't even care if I can hunt or shoot, it's more about the dog's training than my hunting. He's flushed birds for me before, but I need a spot with the right type of cover to get his quartering down and make sure he's working close enough. If anybody can help me out it would be really appreciated.

#2 ·
If I were you I would get in touch the the Moncton Retriever Club. They will be able to give you a lot of advice in training. I am not sure if you are interested in waterfowl at all, but I am pretty sure that there is an upland portion in some of the upper level retriever hunt tests. They would have access to pen raised birds and can help teach quartering. You don't really need birds to teach your dog to quarter or to work in gun range, you could try finding a good book. As for wild birds you just have to do some foot work and look for covers that look grousey. Something else that would be good for the dog is to get out in march and april during the big spring woodcock migration.

#4 ·
Take your dog for a run at the old dump. Between the bridge and the causway on the moncton side. Lots of pheasants. When the trail heads toward the water, stay closer to the railroad tracks. Make sure your dog re-calls well as you don't want him chasing a flushed pheasant on to main street or chasing on of those running room groups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.