New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I do some guiding. Noticing the last couple of years with technology that most guys from the States sit on stand texting and surfing the internet all morning/evening. What ever happened to paying attention and hunting?? I myself shut my phone off and enjoy the sit. If someone needs me they can wait a few hours.

What do you guys do on stand, text or silent??

·
Registered
37 Posts
i sit quietly thinkin in my head...plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz something come out so i can shoot you...and that goes on all day long

·
Registered
163 Posts
agreed...i myself am kinda in between I am only 26, many would say i am the new generation...but i was raised that when hunting camp time comes its time to separate yourself from distractions...i got to the woods to well be in the woods...i love it and i was raised to love so i think the texting thing and all that is a bunch of crap...just my opinion from someone who is on the fence of the age thing.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I find it pretty sad myself. You see it on the hunting shows as well. Young hunters having to entertain themselves because apparently the "hunt" just isn't enough to keep their interest. But it seems to be that way all over nowadays, not just in hunting. People talking on their phones driving,walking,shopping even at work etc. "Slaves to technology". You can tell I don't even own a cell phone eh? Not that I think they are a Bad thing...I just don't want the extra bill!

And I don't "surf" all that much either..just a few sites. Like this one!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
sit, wait, and try to stay awake!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Silent-All that stuff stays home,phone is with me for emergency but is not on,also I never txted in my life ,don't think I know how anyway
Squirrels keep me entertained

·
Registered
314 Posts
i sit quietly thinkin in my head...plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz something come out so i can shoot you...and that goes on all day long
I been thinking the same way kinda this year<plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz be a deer and not a bear

·
Registered
358 Posts
WEEEEELLLLLL . . . I know that Don Heath, who's a pretty respected safari guide and big game hunter from Africa, will bring a book to read on his lion stand while he waits. So it's not like it's just young bucks doing it.

I like having a book to read in a bear stand. It helps me keep quiet. Sure, I'll look around and watch wildlife and all that, but if I am going to spend 8 hours in a stand, it doesn't hurt to have something to pass some time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
it's one reason i like hunting so much. For the solitude and getting away from stuff like cell phones and a busy life.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's funny because I am 30 and a hardcore hunting nut. When I am in the woods I do not want anyone contacting me. I like to completely tune into my surroundings, as 'getting lost' in the hunting experience is what keeps me sane for the rest of the year. Now my dad and my younger brother like to carry more electronics into the woods than Iron Man. It drives me crazy that they are calling every ten minutes on the two way radios, while they are checking their GPS, sending a text, replying to emails, and supposedly hunting...

Funny story, but true.

My dad downed a a big 7 point about a half hour before the end of legal shooting time. My brother heard the shot and called my dad on the cell phone and says, "was that you?" dad says "yes I got one and I need a hand", My bother says "be there in a min...holy crap, there is a huge 8 pointer that just came out. hold on......BANG....BANG" Dad says, "did you get him, did you get him?" Without hesitation my brother says," Nope, too hard to keep the gun steady with one hand." He still had the phone up to his ear!

Neither one takes the hunt as seriously as I do, but guess who did not see a single deer on the whole hunt? That's right, the guy whose most advanced piece of technology was the zipper on his wool pants

·
Registered
270 Posts
A few years ago I was sitting in a bear stand with my wifes step brother who had just turned 16. After the first hour of watching him text, and maybe look up at the bait twice, I held out my hand, he gave me the phone. I cant imagine why you would want to ruin the peace and solititude of a hunt with a phone buzzing and vibrating in your pocket. To each his own, but if you are going to hunt with me leave your phone in the truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WEEEEELLLLLL . . . I know that Don Heath, who's a pretty respected safari guide and big game hunter from Africa, will bring a book to read on his lion stand while he waits. So it's not like it's just young bucks doing it.

I like having a book to read in a bear stand. It helps me keep quiet. Sure, I'll look around and watch wildlife and all that, but if I am going to spend 8 hours in a stand, it doesn't hurt to have something to pass some time.
Your right coach. Its not just young bucks doing it. Its most everyone I guide. I myself shut everything down and go HUNTING for a few hours. They like to be on the go all the time I guess and in the loop of whats happening. I just dont get it. Oh well to each their own.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few years ago I was sitting in a bear stand with my wifes step brother who had just turned 16. After the first hour of watching him text, and maybe look up at the bait twice, I held out my hand, he gave me the phone. I cant imagine why you would want to ruin the peace and solititude of a hunt with a phone buzzing and vibrating in your pocket. To each his own, but if you are going to hunt with me leave your phone in the truck.
Key words: phone buzzing and vibrating. Then you pick it up. Then you type your message. Then you put your phone back. Then you repeat this procedure in a couple minutes. Foolishness.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a Blackberry on my hip, 5-6 days a week and the last thing I want to do is have that with me deer hunting. I carry a cell phone with me and only turn it on when I need to call out, not have someone call me.

The hardest thing I have to do on stand is stay awake and somedays, that is a losing battle!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I only carry the cell phone (my wifes) in case I need help or if an emergency comes up.
I don't need anything with me. Just being out in the woods is my relaxation time...no need to ruin it

·
Registered
358 Posts
I take the cell phone. It's a big help to be able to call someone to help you lug a bear or deer out. But I don't call anyone or send text messages if I can help it, I don't bring it for that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Im 24 and I don't even own a cell phone, and when i go out and someone goes with me and they bring it it better not ring or so help me god ill be shooting skeet, I go hunting to get away from everything and everyone, if you want to get a hold of me drive/boat/walk/swim your butt out and find me, if not wait til i get back

·
Registered
780 Posts
I dunno - maybe I'm over the top....but I hunt mostly with my ears - so from the moment I'm out of the truck to the time I close the door and drive home, all my systems are highly acute to everythig going on around me....much like hunter94. Every little sound I try and materialize into a deer. I think a lot - listen and pay attention to the wind, and plan the next hunt (and pray a lot like B^K..I roared when I read that!). You need to be pretty aware when in a stand with a bow so movements are minimized when the bucks shows up. Once I hang the bow up, I am too high strung to sit all day in a deer stand with a rifle. I have to be still hunting, slowly and silently crawling along deer trails, through swamps, etc. Seeing new turf and learning where the deer are at is paramount then. I simply can't sit with a rifle, and can understand why some guys would fall asleep...or worse, text someone. I say burn those gadgets. I'd need 4 of 'em...one to put under each tire of my truck when I run over them! LOL!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't see much difference between reading a book on stand and reading the 'net on stand.
Now, sitting there texting all day or calling here and there is a whole other matter. Can't see the point.
But for myself (I'm 56 yrs old) I'll play games, cruise the 'net, look at nekked women, (that's a JOKE
) now and then while on stand.
The phone is only dialed when there's a need for a helping hand, or if we are worried about buddy being late getting back to camp. That's it, however.

·
Registered
255 Posts
A thermace of GOOD coffee lol and a sandwich...Other than that I will take the solittude to pricless IMO...I will have my crackberry on me...but not turned on...I here ya NBG on some sports and as you said to each there own...Lobsterman lmao on the nekked woman lol...Next thing we will see is a guy in a stand givin er a good stroke lmfao...maybe thats already happening lmao...Cheers Bam

1 - 20 of 30 Posts