New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

new bow

4K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  hvywght 
#1 ·
im on the hunt for a new bow is there any good bow shops around n.b thanks

#3 ·
Where are you located? Are you looking for a specific brand?

Atlantic Archery Center near Fredericton
TECC Archery in Sussex
Northeast Camo in Salisbury
Spencers Archery near Coalbranch on the 126

These shops have knowledgeable staff, there's a few other shops around but my mother taught me that if you don't have something nice to say, then say nothing, sadly I forget it by times.

#5 ·
im in the stjohn erea i have been shooting off and on for years looking for a good bow not sure what brand i would like to look at a few always hade lower end bows looking for a good one now any advise would be great thanks

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many many good bows out there now. Join Archery talk, but beware for everyone talking up a particular brand/model, 10 more are talking trash about it.

Might be able to get some good deals on 2009 or 2010 leftover models which offers the advantage of getting real opinions on specific models.

Beware, some brands warranty only apply to the original owner, Mathews are like that.

Some brands require a cam change to change drawlength, others require a high-end bow press to release the limb tension(parallel and beyond limbs), again, Mathews are like that.

Try them out before to decide if you can.

I bought a new Mathews DR2 this spring, a major upgrade from my '92 PSE Thunderflite. Absolutely love it but I don't think I'll wait 118 years to upgrade again, can't even use that old bugger as a backup just too different after shooting almost every day from May til October with the Mathews.

Buddy of mine showed up at archery practice in Sussex last night with a new APA, think it is the King Cobra, 5" brace height, 70 Lbs(and shooting it at max), man. that was blazingly fast. They have some neat features, claw on the upper portion of the riser to hook it on a peg, built in broadhead wrench and sharpener. Pins clipped to the riser that when inserted through the cams rest against the limbs and allow the string to be changed in the field when the limb bolts are backed out a bit.

Holy *&^%, up to 362 fps, 101 KE

#13 ·
I'm looking to the Axe 6 myself and was into AC last week to check them out. They did have good prices and the guy said he would set up as many bows as I want to shoot to try them out. I'll be going in after xmas when I have some time so spend shooting a few. I can't remember the prices on their accesories but I've been checking online to get a feel for what I want to put on it.

#20 ·
The vendetta is going to be abit more forgiving because of the longer brace length and axle to axle length. They also have slightly different cams. Another option is the axe 7 which gives you a bit longer brace length but the same axle to axle as the axe 6. I plan on shooting all 3 before deciding if they have them in the shop.

Undertaker and NBduckhunter, what weight bow did you guys get and what do you plan on shooting it at?

#26 ·
Yeah I have nothing but good to say about Bryan.I ordered a new Dream Season and it and some other gear got lost in the mail,he had another one sent overnight del. and threw in some extras which is unheard of nowadays.I ordered a bow online and it had a noise in the axle when I got it,so I would definitely buy local.

#27 ·
There is nuhten wrong with a 60lb bow Thats what i ended up getting just because it was in stalk and was like a 4-5 week wait for a 70lb
Also my 60 pound maxes out at about 65 lol so that pretty much 60lbs, Anyways for each pound of draw weight it is only something like 2.33 fps So if your a 60lb u will be 23 fps slower then at 70lbs, witch is nuthen at all with the tech in todays bow 60 pounds is more then enough for anyhting in north ammerica

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am pretty accurate with my pellet gun...

Accuracy is certainly important, but without the kinetic energy behind the projectile, its not going to be a kill shot.

Speed is important at a longer shot, because your arrow travels slower than sound, and you would not want an animal "jumping the string". Not that an arrow comes close to begin with, but the faster the arrow, the shorter reflex time an animal has.

Speed combined with arrow weight = penetration which in turn makes your accuracy a lethal shot. There is no one factor more important than another because without one of them, its a wasted shot.

#34 ·
But more important then accuracy is range estimation and thats where speed can negate somewhat, a bad guess on the distance.

If your estimate is bang on and you can consistently hit within say, a 1/2 inch at 20 meters (or an inch at 40 meters) and your shooting say 320feet-per-second, a deer, if it reacts, can still jump the string, how far it changes the impact point is greater the further away the deer is.

Factors that can alert the deer and cause it to react include, movement, sound both before and during arrow release.

list of solutions for sound reduction include;

- wear fleece(not microfleece) or wool clothing
- keep sleeve on bow arm under control so the string doesn't contact it
- vibration dampers on the bow limbs and bowstring
- heavier arrow ( heavier arrows absorb more energy from the limbs leaving less
energy behind to vibrate the bow)

However, the heavier the arrow, the slower it flies which increases the drop distance at a given distance so the object is to choose a middle ground between all the factors.

list of solutions for noticeable movement reduction include;

- get a crossbow

- get above their line of sight
- move slow
- ground blind with shoot through mesh windows
- avoid setups that could result in being silhouetted

#35 ·
as much kinetix energy as you can without sacrificing accuracy
yep, though hitting an animial in the lungs/heart with a arrow at say 250fps, is still better than one in the guts at 350fps ...

Most all bows today are more than adequate to kill anything we hunt.
so find one that your comfortable shooting.

#36 ·
The thing is why have one that is shooting 250 fps when you can have one of todays bows from any company not just pse, That allows, The arrows to travel in acess of 300 fps some including mine lol shooting around 320 fps. And with todays tech it allows these new bows to be even more acurate then ever before. So why not have the best of both worlds.

This post has been deleted
#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
hunting rig uses heavier arrows,fletched,broadheads,string accessories,capture rests,various draw lengths etc.etc....you can easily deduct 10-15% from IBO rating
IMHO,the main advantage of speed is to make up for range estimation errors
Id have to agree...

I still think you shouldn't sacrifice comfort for speed..
i shoot a 60lb / 29 with and IBO of 308fps and a 70lb / 29 with an ibo of 325.

i can shoot the 60lb longer and hold longer and in more awkward positions than the 70lb' er.
its slower, sure , but more than fast enough IMO...

But dont get me wrong, i have nothing against speed ...

(heck next purchase is a going to be the limbsaver speedzone @ 70lb - IBO 353)
I just dont think it should be the only or primary requirement fro choosing a bow.

remember that the advertised speed (IBO) is usin a 350gr arrow at 70 lbs with a 30 inch draw.

#39 ·
but most people thing they are shooting over 300 and they just simply are not lol. For each inch of draw below 30 inch you lose 10-12 fps and for every pound below 70 you lose around 2 fps, and also like you say alot of guys shot heavier arrows then an ibo arrow, my arrow arent heavy They are around 370 grain, Some people may think that is to lite but with 2 deer and a bear who all had and arrow driven threw both sides of them would disagree, now if i was to hunt moose with my bow i would move my arrows up to about 420 grain, But right now with my set-up I still think they would be in some danger, My arrows have about 82 pounds of kenetic energy and they experts say that
well ill just paste it from the site
Here is a list of what seems to be the general consensus. Remember, nothing is better than a well placed shot.

Small Sized Game - 25 ft-lbs

Medium Sized Game (Deer, antelope, etc.) - 25-40 ft-lbs

Large Sized Game (Elk, Moose, Black Bear) - 50-65 ft-lbs

Dangerous/Tough Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.) - 65 ft-lbs and above

So according to that my arrows are fine for anything, but Then momentum comes into play where your talking about the big animals, thats why i would up my weight for moose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.