New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Funny how one can spin a story......like I just did.

So it will cost the tax payers $1 Billion to break the new Forestry deal, which was criminal in it's own right as 61% of the population didn't agree with it (according to UNB).

Plus, the way I read the contract, section 4 b (ii) indicates we are on the hook for silviculture (herbiciding) for the duration of the 25 year contract. We subsidize the forest industry by spending $30 Million per annum on crown silviculture so the Crown Allocation users can cut trees. Over 25 years, this will cost tax payers $750,000,000..........wow

According to StatsCan, 2014 employment numbers for the forestry related labour force in NB was 11,600. Forestry and Logging wages were $77 Million.........so we basically subsidize 39% of the wages of forestry and logging workers. All forestry related wages $157 Million or a subsidy of 19%.

I see local farmers struggling to keep their farms going and employees wages paid on a weekly basis. These people are providing an invaluable service to NBers by securing a "food source" for us. I know one farmer who was dramatically affected by a natural disaster and may have to go bankrupt and lay off 20 employees if the NB government doesn't help out.

The system is broken....millionaires get handouts and honest hard working business owners get screwed.

Acton, Caisse Populaire scandals = $100+ Million loss for tax payers...the list goes on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Corruption runs deep and over a long long history in nb.i often wonder if its all legal?insider info.personal kick backs.jobs after office.undue influence.threats to crash the economy.when irving cuts trees on crown land and no ones there counting the loads is it all accounted for.load here load there adds up.No ones watching!! Veneer in the chipper.if wood cant be used for what it is it should not be cut.Why does irving not select cut?because he chooses not to.plantationns and free silverculture as well as free roads cheap labour free crown wood and free money.how much tax did irving pay last year?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Perhaps our focus should be to mitigate damage at this point. When the libs were petitioned for a new deal last month, they told NBERS to shove it up our holes. They were very curt and direct.

Ok, the steam is still whistling out of my ears but I'm coming back to earth... so far it's been all or nothing for us. Pushing for bans isn't working yet, in the mean time, we can certainly call for smaller actions like pesticide/clear-cutting buffers around known deer yards(with consultation from local advocates to determine these areas honestly), simple legislature allowing the thousands of eager pest controllers to hunt coyotes with whatever caliber rifle that they happen own so they can participate, Sunday hunting during the dead winter varmint season...let the average Joe do the work. and if we can't beat irving, why can't we incent him to promote habitat? He responds to money, we're gonna through it at him anyway, why not nudge him our way a little, bees and honey kind of a thing. Just brainstorming... there has to be some wiggle room.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
11,600 workers $77million is $6600 per employee isnt the poverty line $18000?
11,600 workers earned $157 Million = $13,534 per employee

Seems odd, seasonal is likely mixed in.

Regardless, tax payers are on the hook for silviculture = no getting out of herbicide use for the next 25 years.

We are screwed financially and wildlife/habitat wise. How this isn't National News I don't get it.

Maybe we should start complaining to the Federal Elected Officials, Prime Minister and other Provinces that transfer us $$ (Alberta & Sask.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I simply can't reconcile how in 2015, when the environment is the hottest commodity going the world over, we still can't get even a token nod from our 'leader'... not a 'we'll talk about it' or a 'we'll review our options'... nothing! We just got a forget it!... up y#$×s! Minister Boudreau even told us 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!!! Really!?

What, pre-tell, did Brian Gallant tell the folks in France?... Lets lower global temperatures through catastrophic deforestation practices!!! Barf!!!!

After centuries of north american conservarion effort and the revolutionary ideas of the late Aldo Leopold who coined the term 'Land Ethic' where a people accept and celebrate the soils, plants and animals as a part of the collective community, I'm am rendered mistified at the callousness of our government and the shear disregard for our home.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's very amazing how they talk through their @$$hole$...

To think we are soo stupid to accept something because they promise miniscule economic prosperity and a fraction of an acceptable yearly salary, and at the same time, they export the wood to China to be processed (Grade A wood I must add, North American gets the $h!t wood that's left over).

JDI & the NB government are providing what they promised...to the Chinese!

I also wonder about Short, Fat & Ugly (aka Dave Alward) these days. Where is he with all the kickbacks he got from JDI for signing that deal? He's another greedy leech!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's very amazing how they talk through their @$$hole$...

To think we are soo stupid to accept something because they promise miniscule economic prosperity and a fraction of an acceptable yearly salary, and at the same time, they export the wood to China to be processed (Grade A wood I must add, North American gets the $h!t wood that's left over).

JDI & the NB government are providing what they promised...to the Chinese!

I also wonder about Short, Fat & Ugly (aka Dave Alward) these days. Where is he with all the kickbacks he got from JDI for signing that deal? He's another greedy leech!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/david-alward-named-canadian-consul-general-in-boston-1.3047614

The Fed PCs gave him a nice paying job in Boston as Canadian consul general

·
Registered
393 Posts
Think new brunswick gets an F in enviromental issues.its worse here than the rainforest.at some point nb will no longer be part of the boreal forest if not already.nb forest isnt a forest its a tree farm.cant think of anywhere with a worse record in conservation.gone ...atlantic salmon.caribou.lynx.cougar.wolf.sea mink.and many more to mans hand nb has currently several endangered species that get no protection.some salamander species exist no where else and wood turtles are doomed to machinery .last one i seen had a damaged shell and three legs that was yrs ago.soon our rivers and tree farms will collapse fully.ive seen the kv river in my lifetime go from thousands of salmon to zero.look at the rate snow melts and floods with no tree cover.fly over nb and its like a bomb went off only small fragments of trees rest is bare or very young tree farms.in 20yrs its gone forever.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Roll your window down at a fresh clear cut in wet ground.that putrid smell is dead animals crushed by machines.frogs.toads.nutes.salamanders.mice.moles.voles.birds.eggs baby grouse.baby rabbits small fish yes fish i see achines drive right through wet holes now or they ditch them.clear cuts with heavy machines are void of life dead zones.ground impact is devastateing in irving cuts scars forever.when has irving ever surveyed for den sights in winter...they dont..any bear in a den gets driven on..happens all the time they call it an accident!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Anyone ever estimate the number of birds nests destroyed in may and june cutting? The loss of song birds is directly a result of logging practices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Irving has been ripping off the people of NB for too long.

It is time for the government to nationalize Irving.

All Irving and other corporate woodlands revert to Crown lands to be managed by wood marketing boards with consideration for wildlife and conservation groups.

All plants and refinery and mills seized to be managed by crown agencies with profits accruing to the people.

Seize all Irving world wide finncial assets for the benefit of the people of New Brunswick from whom the wealth was stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Better chance to see bigfoot eating some jack links jerky, riding a unicorn, with his pet cougar, waving a confederate flag...:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
As a history major, I find it interesting to watch conversation like this and observe history as it repeats itself. This type of conversation as well as many others of various kinds sound like what it must have been like in 1789 just before the French Revolution. I am convinced a revolution will happen in our lifetime. Why does Irving get away with crap like that, you ask? Because Irving is one of the 1%, one of the "plutocrats" who own/control government and use it to their monetary advantage. This 1%'er gets it, and if the rest don't wake up before the population does, they're screwed: http://politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014

1 - 16 of 16 Posts