New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys;
Check out the new and improved QDMA website. This should be the go-to spot to find deer info, food plot info, and what's happening in NBQDMA. Just set up today.

http://www.qdma.ca/

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good article on the providence farm.

·
Registered
925 Posts
This should be some good reading while at work tonight

·
Registered
612 Posts
wow!! Once I have learned all this info , where do you think I should practice this QDM ? LOUISIANA or on Land that I don't own ? maybe the depleted Crown Land ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
girlscout

Hang on there , you bring up valid points but on the other hand , I am a QDM member and have been for the last year and will be for the next 2 years until my membership runs out , and let me say that I got more e-mails from Louisiana invitations for their big deer convention or from Kip Adams Corner / Shed than anything going on here in N.B.Other than the article on Bowtech's Provindance farm or the invitation to spend a day on his land this past fall.We are not all first time hunters and quite frankly if anyone spends any amount of time in our depleted forests doesn't need a Biologist to see what needs to be improved.Nothing and I do mean nothing is being done to help our deer herd other than praying for no snow, our biologist from were I sit is simply counting deer and limiting the doe kill!. No disrepect intented AX..errr I mean Rod. You yourself posted the the Alward Goverment plans on increasing the allowable logging ?How can I make this better by pruning trees ? should I prune them before the hired people go out to thin the growing hardwood in the plantation? Best I can do is feed the remaining dee...I mean the birds that roam around my camp with crack corn over the winter months as I am doing at the moment So quite frankly I have been putting my money where my mouth is !

·
Registered
634 Posts
Isn't QDM suppose to work with government to enhance the deer herd. At least that is what I read on several websites associated with local chapters of QDM in many states.

Don't see any government involvement here in this province. How could you when the herd is being managed for numbers. Nothing but a god dam pipe dream if you think the deer numbers will get high enough here in this province to apply the QDM strategies.

AS for private land well if you have access to some good machinery and a pocket full of money to burn then I could see how you may benefit especially if you have several hundred acres to hunt on exclusively but for the average hunter in New Brunswick that is a god dam pipe dream.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You want to do something to stop the destruction of our forests? Lets get together with barrels of fire and a bunch of hot drinks and protest on the Goode Road in Mount Eagle where it meets the Route 112. They are presently in there destroying hundreds of acres of wintering areas. Lets act like a bunch of natives and block the frigging road.

I was in there last weekend for drive. All new roads and the forests are getting destroyed. I had treestands on the hydro line. I have spent many days in that area hunting. I couldn't believe what is happening. The machinery is there as we speak. Trees cut down and wood piled up. Some as small as 2 inch diameter.

I've spent many days in there shed hunting and watching deer all winter. Now it's gone and whatever is remaining will be gone by spring.

What is going on there is definitely not QDM.

Good luck trying to convince the government to stop what they approve of. There are way more votes from people in the forestry industry then from hunters for the politicians to worry about us.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't disagree with you girlscout. Sure it makes sense to increase the herd but without the government putting forward some regulations on the forestry industry then nothing is going to change. It's going to get worse!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
QDMANB is a collective group of QDMA members, like you, that wish to further the priciples of sound deer management here in NB. When you join QDMA you do not join QDMANB but the national body. QDMA does NOT nor will they release your e-mail to QDMANB due to confidency litigation. QDMANB gets a mailing list of members from NB about once a year and even then many names, numbers and parts of mailing addresses and all e-mail addresses are missing so that they can not contact all people who have joined QDMA from NB.
Daniel (QDMANB Pres.) is in the process of sending out a letter to all those QDMANB has contact addresses for but if there are those who want to receive information please send your e-mail address to Daniel Gautreau [[email protected]]to make sure that you get added to the QDMANB mailout list.
This past summer the person who was responsible QDMANB communication had to step down due to personal reasons and they have not been able to replace him as of yet. As with any organization communication is probably the most important aspect of maintaining good relations with membership and they hope to rectify that lapse in the near future.

This is part of an excerpt I received recently from Daniel in regards to QDMANB activities. Those who would like to become ACTIVELY involved please send an e-mail to Daniel, your time would be greatly appreciated!

Although you have heard little from us, it does not mean that are not doing anything. I take the blame for not communicating more.

Since August, we had our AGM, we have held 1 English educational event in the south, 1 French educational event in the north, we have managed a deer density project in the late summer, we held our photo contest, chose winning photos, created a calendar, we have organized a raffle draw, we've been to the Sussex Fish and Game show, gave a talk at a woodlot educational event, gave talks to members of the CoFNO (North-west forest cooperative) and we are preparing a collaborative project with this group, we have provided translation for QDMA-Canada, we are going to Grand-Falls this Friday, etc.... Don't forget that we had the hunting season in the middle of this. So we've been busy.

I agree that we need to make a better effort to communicate. We have not replaced Roland who was instrumental in giving our group a voice and getting the word out. He's basically the reason why we are so well known. We would need to nominate someone to replace him in this position. Big shoes to fill....

It was also a concious decision on our part to have less meetings on a "provincial level". Having meetings almost once a month was a bit too much for the goup...
The future of deer hunting rests with YOU.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
QDMA raffle draw winners! Congratulation if your name is on here, mine isn't
Sat 12/18/2010

Guys,

We just completed the draw 5 minutes ago. Here are the winners:

10 André Levesque - Scent dispenser
9 Réjean Francoeur - Moultrie feed
8 Yvon Chiasson - Scent elimination kit
7 Roland Bourgouin - bags of biologic seeds
6 André Lajoie - Moultrie directional feeder
5 Jason Cameron - Trail Camera
4 Russ Henry - Food plot kit
3 Maurice Martin - Deer head mount
2 Ricky Rioux - Painting
1 Hugues Boudreau - Rifle

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Im not trying to stir the pot but im all for qdma, as an organisation, But I have a few question, what has or will be done in the province by this a asotiation, I find that most organizations like this, Ducks unlimited, Delta, ect ect is great as whole, but how does it help the guys in New Brunswick, who wish to hunt here. We own, small piece of ground, and as of this year we will be putting in a few plots, But the land has been practicing qdma harvest rules for quite a while now, not by choice but just by the fact that we dont shoot many deer off our land, Back in my fathers, day they shot some nice bucks, and so on, Now this is 2 years without a harvest on our property, and ive taken, 4 deer, off of it in my life, Before i started, to look for big bucks, 2 4 prongs, and 2 does, Over that same time period of about 10 years, others at the camp have harvested a total of 3 deer, Our property is full of cover, and natural food, and litle preasure. Just not much deer. Anyways that was a litle off topic, I just wanna know what you guys are doing for New Brunswick. Bowtech your property is in a class of its own compared to most land owners. Im curious if qdma has any help to the average guy who does not hunt on his own piece of land, Now of course the land next to your bowtech would probably hold YOUR deer in it as well, I understand that, but what about land 10 kms from you or more.

I have been forced to hunt other areas as well as my own land, Mostly farm land, and I have been pretty successfull at it the past few years, but I whant deer at my camp, and im hoping these plots will help some but im just not sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
girlscout

No apologies required , you're right I did leave my post open to be interpreted to one's desire ,Sorry, besides I read your posts and sense the passion you have on our deer issues. I guess it's the empty feeling I get in my stomach when I spend my days at the camp driving around either with my atv's or my truck looking in all directions at " the destruction of our forest" as Bucknut said in a ealier post. I grew up in a family where the only thing that mattered come fall was hunting , there were no family camping , no south vacations , no cottage renting , my dad's vacations were use up on hunting year after year. So quite frankly that's all I love to do as well. My son is 24 years old and never showed any interest in hunting before 2 years ago when he came with me on a Moose hunt, he was hooked ,now that all he wants to do and talk about , bought him a Remi 30-06 last christmas and now father and son head to camp come deer season. WOW what a feeling having my son with me!!!. He bought himself a 22-250 and is coyote hunting more than I can find the time to do.So just between you and me,I have the passion as well , but feel helpless on how our crown land is being managed with no one contesting their practices, how do we get strenght in numbers when we can't seem to find the numbers ,can someone tell me how many members we are presently? you are right people like to sit back and complain rather than participate beleiving things will never change no matter who or what organisation is trying to accomplish. I maybe buying a piece of land (65 acres) for approx $45,000 , that is a big investment considering that I won't be living on it and it will be use exclusively for hunting not forgetting the amount of work / money required to start some of the mention QDM practices.What will happens when the landowners on either side of mine decides to sell or cut it down? what happens to my investment? what will be my land carrying capacity ? will it be money down the drain ?(down the drain according to my wife lol). How do I keep unwelcomed hunters off the land without me being there 24/7. Or do I save that money and pay myself / son a trip down in Saskatchewan year after year with my odds being higher on bagging a deer ? That' s what runs through my brain day after day. Quite frankly I am pretty envious of Bowtech 250 acre farm, I am sure he works very hard at it and deserves all my respect and admiration. but his story is far from the norme

P.S. ( I will continue being a member of QDM for years to come considering I can see the money is put to good use if not I may as well give it to Bowtech knowing I would get some gratification in some small way in helping someone actually help deer survive our lack of food and habitat in our province)

Sorry about the long rant ,hope this gives a small refection of the kind of person I am.

Critter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Critter
Don't know where you came all of a sudden, since you are new to the site, but very well spoken. I started practicing some QDM on my own acreage last year but have the same concerns as what will happen if and when my neigbors decide to cut. If only there where a happy medium between our forest industry and wildlife. what puzzles me is that logging isn't only a huge industry here but other provinces as well. Some of these provinces continue to enjoy stronger deer numbers so it makes me wonder what are they doing that we are not.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Critter - Man...you are singing the same song I have been singing for years! I have many of the same issues. I only own 3 acres of ground, and I have tried a bit of QDM on it, and the vacant farm beside me. All was great up until this fall, and I was looking forward to a good hunt here with my oldest son. Then guess what? The farmer needed cash and is now having the land right next door to me flattened! The guy cutting it is also a hunter, and had all his buddies in crawling all OVER the place this fall. Not hard to tell how my fall ended!

Seeing the QDMA is all about "better deer and better deer hunting"......I think this is the ideal place to start. They held a hunter's symposium last year to get the opinions of hunters and what they thought the issues with growing deer here are.

I'm gonna steal a bit from another post to give you some things I think QDM will get into that will help us immensely.

First - hunters need to put their money where their mouth is and join up with a group like QDMA. Then, I'd suggest they do a few different things with it. First, I'd start a land trust fund - similar to DU. Start buying up chunks of ground around the province that have cedar on them (winter), or that have been recently liquidated private ground (This land goes cheap). Next, I'd start a savings fund to purchase a tractor and farming implements - harrows, ploughs, bush hog, etc. and a float to transport them on.

Third, I'd start to form a good working relationship with the wood co-ops around NB that own 30% of the land in NB - and a lot higher proportion in the south. These are landowners that are interested in doing what's BEST for the land, and most have a lot of interest in wildlife. This is outr future access to good hunting ground, and if we can help them manage it to improve it for deer, it's a good expenditure of time.

Fourth.....I'd make quite a stink about the way our public land is managed, and embarrass some boys with deep pockets into doing something beneficial for deer - whether it would be planting road right-of-ways with clover (keeps the weeds etc. off and the roads stabilized so they last longer (better for the lumber company) and provides good food for deer, and allows me to get my truck in there - good for the hunter). Also - who says they can't plant CEDAR????? They should be mandated to plant a certain percentage of sites with cedar. I think theres lots to be done here. May not make a big difference in the short term, but maybe they can begin to right the decades of rape and pillage.

Then I'd look at a scheduling plan for small landowners and hunters around NB and make the tractor, etc. available NB for whoever to help them manage old fields that have gone fallow. There's a ton of them from Little Ridge, Charlotte county to the fields in South Tetagouche, outside of bathurst, and the back roads/woods of St. John, queens, kings, Albert and Westmorland counties. I'd focus on fields farthest south that would have the best chances of supporting deer.

I have a bunch of other ideas, and I think with some MEMBERS and people willing to work rather than belly ache and ***** about what all is wrong, we could turn this boat around before it's too late. gotta get hunters focussed on the real issues, and what's practical. Also going to need to somehow address "land access"....and I think cooperatives like they have in other areas are the answer. Get 5 or 10 guys to pitch in to buy a few hundred acres - build a little hunting camp, and then everyone pitches in to cut a little here, plant a little there, put up a few stands, post some signage, etc. I think we have the wheels on a lot of this....we just need someone to keep the sailors focussed, and the stern pointed in the right direction.

We are just finishing the final few projects of a camp we just completed in southern NB, on a buddies 300 acres. There are NO hunters around, likely because there are not many deer - but there are a few. We're going to do a bit of "land management" on the back end of this place - a long ways from the main road. Plant and fence a few apple trees, thin a few other areas, and doze off a few spots in an old cut for a few food plots. Yes - you might be able to argue that I won't see much from it in my lifetime, but we can't be too self serving at the present - we have to have a vision for the future and start working towards that - or otherwise, your boys and my kids won't have much option but to move elsewhere. I want one to (so I have free room and board when I visit them to hunt....LOL!) but for those who remain, there has GOT to be something better than where we're currently headed!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Message from our president...

(le français suit)
Dear QDMANB Member and Supporters,
This being the beginning of a new year, the timing is right to write a brief message and let you know what has been going on during the past year and give you an update on the situation of QDMANB. 2010 has been a very busy year for our young organization. Here is a recap of some of the activities that we have organized or participated in during the last year:

• Organized a round table on the future of deer management in New Brunswick.
• Submitted a report to the Wildlife Trust Fund on the 2009 deer density survey using infrared cameras.
• Organized our third AGM in August of 2010.
• Submitted 2 requests for funding to the Wildlife Trust Fund of New Brunswick for an education project and a second year for the deer density project.
• Organized and managed two educational field days on the subject of deer habitat improvement on private woodlots; one field day was held in English in the southern part of the province and a second field day was held in French in the northern part of the province. The NBWTF financed 3500$ for both educational field days.
• Completed the field portion of the second year of the deer density survey project using infrared trail cameras. We are presently in the compilation and analysis of the data stage of the project and we should be able to submit a report by the end of January . - The Government requested to have access to our data which shows interest in this new method. The WTF financed 2690$ for the deer density survey in 2010.
• Organized the second annual deer photo contest. The 12 best photos were selected and a 2011 calendar was created. The winning photos were taken by:
o Scott Cormier
o Marc Boucher
o Gabriel Belliveau
o Sean Moffet
o Jamie Floyd
o Jacynthe Belliveau
o Paul Arsenault
o Charlie Bourque

• Organized the third annual raffle draw. The winners of the draw are:
o André Levesque
o Réjean Francoeur
o Yvon Chiasson
o Roland Bourgouin
o André Lajoie
o Jason Cameron
o Russ Henry
o Maurice Martin
o Ricky Rioux
o Hugues Boudreau

• Held information sessions or participated in Hunting and Fishing or Forestry shows across the province including Claire, Edmundston, Grand-Falls, Fredericton, Harvey Station, Sussex and Moncton.
• Have been invited by the Fundy Model Forest as an expert on deer habitat management to participate in a Field day on multi-resource management. More than 120 woodlot owners participated in this activity.
• Collaborating with a cooperative of woodlot owners in the north-western part of the province in preparation of project to study and manage the deer population within the boundaries of the cooperative.
• Finally, we collaborated with QDMA-Canada and helped in the creation of the new QDMA-Canada bilingual web site. We invite you to visit the web site at www.qdma.ca.

On top of these activities, we have held many meetings on a regular basis. It goes without saying that our efforts are paying off because we are now well known in the province and government has an interest in our activities.
Although we are having some success, we are going through a difficult period. You have without a doubt noticed that our communications with you have been less efficient in the past few months. In fact, during the past year one of our key members had to leave our organization due to personal reasons. This person was responsible for communications and we have not yet replaced him. This is the main reason that we have not published a newsletter in a long time and that our communications with you have almost been non existent. We are sorry for this temporary inconvenience. We are presently working to find a solution to this problem and are looking to find a competent person who can fill the role of Communicator for the QDMANB and this is our priority for the new year. If you think you have the competence to fill such a position or if you know someone who could do it, please don't hesitate to contact me.
I conclude by saying that we will continue to work hard to try to improve the quality of deer management in our province. It is a large task and we cannot expect immediate results. But if we continue to give a sustained effort and keep building relationships with key leaders, organisations, and groups, I am confidant that we will bring about positive change to the management of whitetail deer populations all while protecting our hunting heritage. If you have any comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to communicate with me.
I wish you and your family a successful and happy 2011.

Sincerely,

Daniel Gautreau
QDMANB

(The English message preceeds)

Chers membres et amisde la QDMANB
En ce début d'année, le temps est opportun pour vous écrire un bref message afin de faire un retour sur les activités et évènements de l'an 2010 ainsi que faire le point sur la situation de la QDMANB. D'abord l'an 2010 a encore une fois été très occupés pour notre jeune organisation. Voici quelques unes des activités auxquelles nous avons organisé ou participé lors de l'année 2010 :
• Organisé une table ronde en février à Fredericton afin de connaître l'opinion des chasseurs du Nouveau-Brunswick sur la gestion du chevreuil dans notre province.

• Déposé un rapport au Fonds de fiducie pour la faune sur le projet d'évaluation de la densité du chevreuil en utilisant les appareils photos numérique de chasse de 2009.

• Organisé notre 3e réunion générale annuelle en août 2010.

• Déposé deux demandes de financement pour un projet d'évaluation de la densité du chevreuil et des projets en éducation.

• Organisé et géré 2 journées éducatives portant sur les techniques d'amélioration de l'habitat du chevreuil sur les lots boisés privés; l'une en anglais dans le sud de la province et l'autre en français dans le nord de la province. Ce projet fut financé par le Fonds de fiducie pour la faune à l'ordre de 3500$.

• Complété la partie terrain pour le projet d'évaluation de la densité du chevreuil en utilisant des appareils photos numériques de chasse - nous sommes présentement dans la phase d'analyse des données et le rapport sera déposé pour la fin janvier. - Le Ministère des ressources naturelle est intéressé à recevoir nos données ce qui démontre l'intérêt du gouvernement dans cette nouvelle démarche. Ce projet fut également financé par le Fond de fiducie de la faune à l'ordre de 2690$.

• Organisé le deuxième concours annuel de photos de chevreuil. Les 12 meilleurs photos ont été utilisées pour créer un calendrier 2011. Les photos gagnantes ont été prises par:
o Scott Cormier
o Marc Boucher
o Gabriel Belliveau
o Sean Moffet
o Jamie Floyd
o Jacynthe Belliveau
o Paul Arsenault
o Charlie Bourque

• Organisé un tirage provincial pour une troisième année consécutive. Les gagnants de la loterie sont :
o André Levesque
o Réjean Francoeur
o Yvon Chiasson
o Roland Bourgouin
o André Lajoie
o Jason Cameron
o Russ Henry
o Maurice Martin
o Ricky Rioux
o Hugues Boudreau

• Tenu des sessions d'information ou participé à des Salons partout dans la province, y compris Claire, Edmundston, Grand-Sault, Fredericton, Harvey Station, Sussex et Moncton.

• Été invité par la Forêt Modèle de Fundy comme expert sur la gestion de l'habitat du chevreuil pour participer à une journée champêtre pour la gestion multi-ressources d'un lot boisé où plus de 120 propriétaires de lots boisés ont participé à cette journée éducative.

• En collaboration présentement avec la coopérative forestière du Nord-ouest afin de mettre en place un projet de gestion de la population de chevreuil et son habitat sur plusieurs lots boisés.

• Finalement, nous avons collaboré et travaillé fort avec QDMA-Canada afin que l'organisme national puisse refaire et lancer le nouveau site web bilingue. Nous vous invitons d'ailleurs à le visiter : www.qdma.ca.
Il y a aussi les multiples réunions et rencontres que le conseil tient sur une base régulière. Il va sans dire que nos efforts portent fruits puisque nous sommes de plus en plus connus dans la province et le gouvernement s'intéresse à nos activités.
Cependant, malgré notre succès, nous vivons présentement des défis importants. Vous avez sans doute remarqué que notre communication avec vous, nos membres, est moins efficace. En fait, au cours de l'année, un membre du conseil a dû se retirer de ses responsabilités pour des raisons personnelles. Cette personne était responsable de la communication et nous ne l'avons pas encore remplacé. C'est la raison pour laquelle nous n'avons pas publié de bulletin dans les derniers mois et que la communication avec vous a été quasi absente. Nous nous excusons pour cet inconvénient et travaillons présentement à rectifier la situation. Nous sommes d'ailleurs présentement à la recherche d'une personne bilingue qui peut remplir les fonctions de communicateur pour la QDMANB et c'est notre priorité pour la nouvelle année. Si vous pensez avoir les compétences pour remplir une telle fonction au sein de notre équipe ou si vous connaissez quelqu'un qui peut le faire, n'hésitez surtout pas de me joindre.
Je termine en vous disant que nous allons continuer de travailler très fort pour améliorer la situation de la gestion du chevreuil dans le Nouveau-Brunswick. C'est un défi de taille et les résultats n'arriveront pas rapidement. Cependant, si nous continuons à soutenir un effort constant et à bâtir des relations positives avec les décideurs, des groupes et des organismes clés, je suis confiant que nous allons apporter du changement positif dans la gestion des populations de chevreuil et protéger notre héritage que nous tenons tous à cœur. Si vous avez des questions ou commentaires n'hésitez surtout pas de me joindre.
Que la nouvelle année vous apporte joie et succès.
Cordialement,

Daniel Gautreau
Président, QDMANB

·
Banned
348 Posts
I emailed Daniel about joining but I haven't recevied a response. If I sign up on the website, does that money go to NB chapter?

Also, is QDMA set up to provide tax receipts for donations?

·
Banned
159 Posts
I just joined QDMA! I'm not a landowner besides what my house sits on but this group seams keen on helping deer and awareness. Gotta start someplace.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well today I took the plunge and bought the 65 acre of land that I was looking at
, guess it's a new chapter in my life , looking forward to start some QDM practices , I may be looking for some advice/ guidance from members of this site if possible ?? (bowtech,axeman,good old boy ect....)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Congratulations on the new land purchase!! I'm sure you'll love playing around with your new ground. It adds a whole new dimension to own your own hunting ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts