New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to hunting / shooting and have a quick question. I was wondering if there is an available map / resources out there that shows legal places to hunt in NB (around the Saint John area would be ideal). I know people don't like to give up their hunting spots so no offence taken if you don't want to share. I just don't know where to go!! This time of year i'd be looking to hunt rabbit i guess?

Thanks!

·
Banned
348 Posts
Buy a Provincial Atlus which shows crown/private land and woods roads (slightly outdated). Basically you can hunt any property that is not posted Red but you need to ask permission to hunt properties posted Yellow. Ideally, if its not crown land then I would ask permission if its near a house. 200 meters is legal distance from a house with a shotgun (no slugs) and 400 meters with a rifle. 100 meters with a bow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
st george district,lepreau area is pretty close to st.john lots of plantations full of rabbits and coyotes. Base Gagetown on the petersville side of the highway is a pretty good area for hunting rabbits if you hunt near the swampy areas. You can get a pass and a map of the area at the petersville gate. Good luck and welcome to the world of hunting and just remember treat the outdoors well and it will treat you well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It may be best to go out and talk to some of the local land owners where you are planning to hunt to see if some of them will give you permission, or tell you where the closest crown land suitable for hunting is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know of a good spot in the Westfield area, it has got plenty of rabbit tracks now but I thought the local bobcat (or lynx idk) ate them all. Apparently it is gone so the rabbits are still mostly there. I could probably show you the spot on google earth, i could give you coordinates or whatever. Another great spot, if you wanna hunt coyotes in the westfield area, is a place called "Spencer's Field". It has been clearcut so it has good lookout spots. Well good luck with you hunting! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know of a good spot in the Westfield area, it has got plenty of rabbit tracks now but I thought the local bobcat (or lynx idk) ate them all. Apparently it is gone so the rabbits are still mostly there. I could probably show you the spot on google earth, i could give you coordinates or whatever. Another great spot, if you wanna hunt coyotes in the westfield area, is a place called "Spencer's Field". It has been clearcut so it has good lookout spots. Well good luck with you hunting! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
That would be awesome if you could send me the google earth coordinates! you can email me at [email protected] (or post on here, whichever you like). I will do a search for "spencer's field" as well. Thanks for your responses everyone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think if you type this into google maps you'll find it: 45.351323, -66.247966 . If you decide to go check it out, go down the road on the right (it is not marked on the map) because on the other road there is a church and it is not a good area for hunting. And Spencer's Field you probably won't find on a map, it is more of a nickname of a place where a man named Spencer owned camps and after he passed away the land was clearcut and it is not growing back well therefore you can see great distances. I have only ever went hunting coyotes up there once, and now the road is more than likely to bad (because of snow) to get anything other than an atv or snowmobile through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man, will def check it out after this storm. I think i've actually been out that way hiking over the summer...is there a popular "mountain" that people hike up around there? Is that where the new highway is going in?

Is there any way that you can email me with more info regarding "spencers field"? would love to see if i can't spot a coyote or two! my email is in a post above.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
try the service New Brunswick website. there is an option to view maps. the maps will show crown land in a different co;or and will show property lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts