New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

New to NB

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  BlueRocker 
#1 ·
I've been on www.gnb.com, and from what I see all that is need to hunt deer in NB is a valid Firearms Licence and a Resident Deer Game and Bird Licence (ages 16-64) + $5 conservation fee $29.00.

Is this correct?

Also how are the deer population for the strategy of setting up a blind off the highway near Freddy and baiting a spot with apples?

Or would still hunting have a higher success rate around here?

I come from Lunenburg County, NS were the population is so high when you enter the wood you'll likely trip over a deer. Here is sounds like you need a bit of a game plan or good knowledge of your hunting area to be successful.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated?

#2 ·
I've been on www.gnb.com, and from what I see all that is need to hunt deer in NB is a valid Firearms Licence and a Resident Deer Game and Bird Licence (ages 16-64) + $5 conservation fee $29.00.

Is this correct?
Depends on a couple of things, How long you've been in NB, why you are here, etc.

Either pickup a copy of the Hunting/Trapping Summary or view it here
http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/HuntTrap-e.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

Pretty much most of what you need to know is in there.

You will also need to show proof of passing an approved Hunter's Safety course. You may be able to use an old hunting license in lieu of a course but you'll have to verify that with the DNR as I do not know if they will accept an out of province license.

FWIW, I have never been asked if I had a firearms license when I buy my license.

A Class 3 (resident deer/small game License) cost $38.42.

#4 ·
Woolly

Well I moved from NS to start a new job two weeks ago, so I'd consider myself a resident now.

As for the Hunter's Safety course, I have a card proving I've complete the training.

I was just curious because in NS there is a Natural Resource Card, just another money maker for the blood suckers.

So I'd say I'm good, now I just have to find some time to do a little scouting. Hopefully I can find something within 15 from Freddy, hopefully there's some Crown Land along the New Maryland Hwy.

No of any sites with a free up to date crown land map?

#5 ·
I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to reside in the prov. for 6 months to be considered a resident unless you are a student or in the military. I'm not positive about this but that's how it used to be. Anyway good luck with your scouting. Check out the Keswick Ridge area. Some of the orchards up in that area are very happy to see deer hunters and quick to give permission.

#6 ·
bluerocker,
if you talk to dnr and say that you have recently resided in new brunswick for a job they will waive the waiting period for resident classification.
as well be careful on the highway from new maryland to fredericton as most of it is unb woodlot which is tagged for no hunting so you will not be able to hunt there.
there are some good areas out to beaver dam which would be driving out past new maryland but you would have to talk to the private owners and to see where good areas to hunt. but since you drive past the rangers office on a daily basis stop in some day have a chat and they will greatly offer assistance on where to hunt and help you out with any questions. Not sure how they are in nova scotia but here in new brunswick they are great and go out of your way to assist you

#9 ·
BS,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they are good about it, because as Woolly has said below I am just starting new employment in the province.

As for the highway along New Maryland, I've been reading through the book, and they would have to have it marked clearly every 100 meters with a sign, red disk or red tape to indicate the land is not acceptable to hunting, otherwise from what I can see its free game. As long as your 400 m from dwelling of course.

I'll look into the beaver dam area as well, just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.