New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Bowtech Stryker to try out. Got it for a good price, relative to the MSRP and thought I'd give it a try before I sell it.
I think it is the fastest crossbow on the market at 405fps. Generates 155ft.lb KE. I'll say one thing, she is some shooter. The red dot that came with the package(scope, bolts, sling, hardcase, etc.) has been replaced with a better 3x32 Hawke SR IR crossbow scope with Ballistic Reticle. The crossbow has some nice safety features (safety and bolt sensor) with it to prevent any misfiring. The cocking mechanism is chain rail. The racket slips into a socket in the stock and you just wind 'er back and she is all ready to go.
Tried it at 15m for the first shot and tried the different reticles, they stacked nicely except one bolt(Easton) which is a different weight and FP head weight so it was an inch to the left but other than that it was straight up and down. Second round I moved back to 30m and 50m. They were right on except the Easton bolt and it was about 3-4" off to the left at 50m. I would say that the scope is graduated for 20, 40, 60, 80 as it stands now but will have to do some more "testing" to be sure. One problem with this crossbow is that you will have to find a suitable target to use it on. I used my 3D deer target and I had an extremely hard time getting the bolts out. They came through enough to tap them back with a hammer on the FP to get them started. Had to have a friend help me actually pull them out. Second round I used a large tightly wrapped round bale and shot at the side, not the end and it worked pretty good. I had a lot better groupings at 50m with it the first round than I can shoot with my bow
. I think you could expect to get a 2" group from a rest at 50m easy enough. My goal is to see if I can get a 4" group at 100m. I wouldn't shoot that far with it on an animal as it is still an arrow and will have qiuite a lag reaching the target, even at 405fps but will be fun to see if I can do it with any consistancy. The crossbow I think is capable if I can do my part. They say the Tac15 can do better and this is every bit as good a crossbow I think.

Will give you an update in the new year when I get back. Merry Christmas to you all!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!

Nice to see ya back on the forum!! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought I'd see the day

How come yer not smiling?
Well if I'm gonna form an opinion I need to have some first hand knowledge, I don't plan on actually shooting anything with it
. My boys are pretty excited about the prospect though, gasp. They want me to keep it but Momma says its the bow or the boltgun. Not hard to choose then :)at least for me...

I'm not smiling cause at that moment as I just spent 15 minutes trying to get my bolts out of my 3D deer target. One without success as it didn't actually go through the target enough to tap it back.
Thankfully one of my buddies come over to help me move a stove and gave me a hand. Just needed a little extra leverage
He tried it out after that and loved it.

It is one nice piece of work though and it was fun shooting it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it kind of like shooting a PSE which is like riding a mopad, fun to ride but you sure don't want your friends to see you doing it

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't shoot that far with it on an animal as it is still an arrow and will have qiuite a lag reaching the target
Amen to that bowtech! Spoken like a true archer!!

Enjoy the new toy while you have it.

Crossbows are like mopeds--secretly, everyone wants to take one for a spin!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Say there BT, is your bow on the market? I'd be interested LMAO!!!! Sorry, not interested in the Xbow, just the REAL bow...

·
Registered
699 Posts
OMG!!!

He's come out of the closet...can't wait to see the pics of "Tracey" and "Girlscout" when they finally come out!!! LMAO

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just spoke with Bowtech.......Can't WAIT until he posts how this thing performs. Hope KPR, Linnie and crew have some strong bar-b-que sauce. They say crow goes down hard when it's cold!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know about eating any crow but I do plan on sitting down to a bear roast in a couple of minutes. Yummy Yummy!! Maybe a little turkey on the weekend to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hoytman...

WTH is that chain and sprocket down in there?
Polaris pack snap on peddles with their bikes as a "get me home" safety mechanism?

15yrs?...you did well or didn't drive it much

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I throw up in my mouth a little every time i see bowtech holding a crossbow. Thought you where a true archer, must be that guardian is letting ya down and the cross bow is the only thing faster then the xforces. heheheheh just kiding but id actually like to try a few shots outa one someday, never have tried one, and if they come legal i will buy one for my ole man most likely

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a pic of the reticle. I downloaded the software from the Hawke site and it makes it a simple matter to calibrate the scope. If I want to shoot 100 yards I just have to set the first reticle for 60 yards and then the 4th is dead on at 100. You just punch in the speed, scope height, etc and zero for whatever distance you want and it tells you exactly what your pins are set for. I haven't verified it but based on the 20 zero it looks like it is what they are saying. Haven't had time to play too much yet but will let you know when I do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Guess it would be fair to say that there is no need to argue the long range capability and consistentcy of the modern crossbow.
Unless you know "not" what you speak of or have absolutely nothin' to loose by discrediting/ridiculing a fellow "Bowhunter"!
Consistency...being the key word.

"The world record for unlimited compound flight bow is 1200m, that's about 3/4 of a mile.
Now if you're talking about accuracy,
a world class target compound shooter can put most of his arrows in the 10 ring,
on a 122cm target face that's a 4.8" diameter circle from 90m/100yards.
The world record for 90m compound is 348 out of 360."

348 out of 360 now thats "consistency"
If Bowtech can do 260 out of 360 in one session/afternoon (on video complete with cam clock & counter runnin
)....

I'll shutup on the subject 2011 resolution #1

***************************************************************************************************

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone...even you too Hoytman

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's the part I don't appreciate and the public contempt you have for all Bowhunters that are against boltguns in the early season based on passed experiences with a NS association that as nothing to do with this province! Nothin' personal, KPR.
Nothing personal to you as well....I guess.
The argument is the same over the same hunting tool so whats it matter if it's NS...NB or Katmandu?
My "contempt" as you put it is not at ALL bowhunters,just a select few.
The ones that feel it's OK to deny other hunters the opportunity to be in the woods taking advantage of a small edge that was afforded them to have a better chance of being successful in their pursuit.
That "small edge" was afforded them because the tool they were (I stress ..WERE) using was much more limited than todays more modern tools.
I see 70yds shots on critters on Wild TV...50yd shot posted on here on a nice buck this fall etc...
No criticisms just high fives and way to go's....
Wouldn't dream of a shot like that with my older PSE but now the newer Martin...50yds doable? ....you friggin bet!!!
These "select few" base their argument that there is a differance between the two tools when in reality there isn't much when looked at objectively.

What I don't get is that if these "select few" want to preserve the integrity of bowhunters and bow hunting in an early season....

Why aren't they pushing for restrictions on the capabilities of the tools THEY NOW USE in the early season?
Limit the amount of let off and speed on compounds that can be used in the early season....
Make it aluminum arrows only...
How bout it Hoytman whats your thoughts on that?

Maybe when they take up the charge to RESTRICT THEMSELVES instead of others...
Take the time and make the effort to ask/poll ALL bowhunters across the province instead of assuming/claiming they speak for ALL on their position...

I'll show a little less "contempt"
Cuz.... thats the part I really don't appreciate

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
KPR...

That's funny, you want me as a first time boltgun shooter to do "a lot" better than the best shooter in the world on the first run and then you'll concede there is a difference.
Nothing unrealistic about your expectations, you must really want to make sure you don't have to concede anything.

You still miss the point people make on the basic difference between a bow and bolt gun KPR which is what sets them apart. The bow is drawn in the presence of game and the peak weight is held by the hunter. No one is saying that Crossbow can't be out there in the woods just don't want them in the season that was fought for and implemented for bowhunting.

While I don't watch it myself I have heard that Wild Tv is a good place to find out what not to do in many cases. What happened with that 50 yarder that was taken this fall that your talking about. It was a bad hit, the deer turned and was hit in the throat. He was just fortunate in where it hit in the throat and he able to recover it. Should he have taken the shot...not based on the hit. But don't put all that "long Range" crap on the compound shooter. Recurve shooters were taking long shots before the 1st compounds even hit the production line. Ben Pearson, Fred Bear, all of the greats made not only long distance shots on game at 2X the distance (or more) of that deer shot this fall but doing it while the animal was in full flight! The ability of a braodhead to kill an animal hasn't changed, what has changed (if hunters wish to continue hunting in the future) is the public's acceptance of low odds shooting resulting in wounded and lost game since it is considered a "Sport" now and not strictly for food.

As to the equipment....Your such a BS'er, you don't want to see a limit in equipment anymore than most "bowhunters" do, in fact you want more lax regulations on it. You're just using it as another angle in your "cause" saying if we were really bowhunters and deserve an extra season we would be pushing for it! While I would like to see a limit put on bowhunting gear and the other "elitist" bowhunters would approve, we wouldn't be labelled as elitist by just guys like you but all mainstream "bowhunters" as well.

Maybe we should put these in bow season as they are pretty close too, actually you may be able to use them already

http://falcon-archery.webs.com/slingbowchallenge.htm

http://www.bowtube.com/media/952/Hunting__Fishing_Slingshot/

1 - 20 of 43 Posts