New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted most of the stuff in the QDMA Survey thread but I liked this pic and since I already posted two pics of this guy in the other thread I thought I would add this last one here.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
He is 3.5 years old this year. I keep debating on whether I should target him. He is a real visible deer here on our farm. He was probably the most visible deer we had last year as a 2 year old. I always said I'd shoot anything 3.5 years old or better but I'd really like to see what he would be like next year. I was surprised that the neighbours didn't get a crack at him as we saw him in season several times and he roams several properties with ours being the central point for him.

Here he is last year...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well with what you are doing I would say let him roam.
Perfect example to let your QDM area expand and see what happens.
Yes there is the chance he might not make it but if he does it could pay for you.
Are there more 3.5 + year old deer?
I've read alot of what you have posted but can't remember it all of course but I thought you wanted a couple of does taken so meat should not be a problem for you.
Imagine your newest hunting partner getting that when he is legal in a couple years.
Be some first deer for him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
He is 3.5 years old this year. I keep debating on whether I should target him. He is a real visible deer here on our farm. He was probably the most visible deer we had last year as a 2 year old. I always said I'd shoot anything 3.5 years old or better but I'd really like to see what he would be like next year. I was surprised that the neighbours didn't get a crack at him as we saw him in season several times and he roams several properties with ours being the central point for him.

Here he is last year...

He got some funky looking tines going on.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you're saying hoytman. I keep thinking if I don't connect that is a bunch of points down. There are only two others that are better than him here on our place and he is the most visible with a lot of daytime movement. That 14pt is about as likely to come out in the daylight as an owl and I haven't seen the 8pt yet so unless he shows up in October again like he did last year I know in my heart that if this one steps out I won't pass him.

·
Registered
925 Posts
That 7 point didn't put on much growth in a year besides the brow tines. Looks like he almost started growing a drop tine on his right side. Also appears to have a nice kicker on his base. Body wise he is looking real good. As a 2 year old he looks bigger than average.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I knew I should have been on stand in the field that morning. It was a light drizzle and I kept thinking...they're gonna be in the field this morning but I had to go to Saint John.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 7pt was shot at by two other hunters on Monday, neither being me
. One cut some white hairs but neither seemed to have hit him as I got this pic of him on Tuesday am. Hopefully that will make him a bit more careful but that much harder for me to shoot now

Hopefully I'll get some more this week and confirm he's still 100%

Got a call from my neighbour this evening while I was out fixing the dog kennel. He said he just drove by the house and the 14pt was down in our plot by the road along with a fork horn and a few does. Its about 200m from the house but it is located in the 90 acres we set aside as a sanctuary and off limits to shooting. The 14pt must know that, darn him
Neighbour said he was the biggest deer he ever saw

• Upvote
Reactions: styk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got a call from my neighbour this evening while I was out fixing the dog kennel. He said he just drove by the house and the 14pt was down in our plot by the road along with a fork horn and a few does. Its about 200m from the house but it is located in the 90 acres we set aside as a sanctuary and off limits to shooting. The 14pt must know that, darn him
Sounds like you have a pretty smart 14 pt buck hanging around, BT.
Wants himself to be seen & not shot. lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the 7pt is still alive and well as of the 2nd anyway. Guess the graze by Edward the first day never hurt him too bad.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
5pt is still around too maybe he'll make the season yet?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like a shooting range being along a road, Know for a fact a couple hollywood hunters shoot a buck from a truck in your area last year. We're I you, I'd be planting something fast growing to block the view from the road so the deer don't get shot by GD poachers
if you haven't already

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's posted red but that won't stop poachers. I didn't actually plant it this year just for that reason but they still feed on the perennials that are coming up. I started some trees this spring to plant along there this fall but will be planting corn along the road until I can get the trees up to provide screening. Some of the silage varieties can get up 12-14ft.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts