New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut my teeth in hunting so to speak in a little community called codys in the late 80s early ninties. Back then there were literally deer everywhere and hearing shots at night were commonplace and noone really thought too much about it actually. I still live in the same area and the deer are pretty well gone from the area. I never hear shots at night and assumed that most night guys were passed on or gave up because the laws have since become stricter. On Saturday night I found myself helping to track a deer for a guy in the belleisle area. I was really suprised that between 6 and 9:30 we heard 7 shots. Couple pretty close but the rest a bit distant. Not really sure where im going with this thread (just ranting I think) but do you hear alot of night shooting in your area? Is this really as prevelent as it ever was? I truly thought those days were gone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I hear it from time to time out at my camp. Some evenings when you go out to the woodpile you might hear a shot or two. It happens on such a regular basis I kind of stopped paying attention to it...which says something .

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
There's a legendary deer that was jacked back home in the 70s that tipped the scales at 330lbs field dress according to my dad.

Everybody in the area knows about this deer, a lot of die hard hunters were after the elusive buck, but now the guy who supposively shot it never wanted to show off the antlers, 'cause of the unwanted attention he would get and the fact he poached it from law-abiding hunters who were after this local legend for 2-3 years.

This is more than 40 years ago and I guess some of these guys never spoke to one another after the fact.

I brought in a trophy buck to the taxidermist in 2002 and I was mesmerized by one particular rack that was laying in a pile of antlers on the floor.

I later found out that it had been jacked in a field in the newly re-open WMZ 8 by a native and had been sold for $200 to a guy to adorn the mantle at his camp....where's the pride in that? The big non-typ would have easily netted over 200B&C...

...makes me wonder as well how many more hit the ground in a less than honorable way...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its not all that uncommon to hear shots at night in my area, and no doubt some are at deer. I had a small 8 point in my field along with a 7 and a 5 pointer and lots of does and kids every single day leading up to deer season and even on the first day, that night I heard at shot about 2 hours after dark and for the next week everyone of these deer except for the 8 point returned to my field. I have little doubt what happened to him. Some of the time I am sure the shots are at ***** but not all, I know if I had a problem **** to kill in my yard at night I probably would not be using a large, very loud centerfire rifle and I have to assume that the big bore rifle shots at night are at deer. And it sure does seem like a coincidence sometimes when you hear a shot at night and the next morning a big buck is brought to the local store to be tagged stone cold and stiff 30 minutes after first light.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here's one that was shot last year at approximately 7:00 pm on Nov 17, 2009. The idiot came out of the woods and stopped at my uncle's house to let them know he was shooting at a racoon. First of all, what are doing in the woods at 7:00 pm on the last week of deer season. We all know you have a stand there. And then go back the next day to retrieve the buck.

I watched this buck grow up. I have several photos of him over the years and he was jacked on the piece of land next to my father's. You are sorry piece of garbage and a very unethical hunter. Good thing I wasn't there when you came to my uncle's place that evening on your way back to your house to tell him you were shooting at a racoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts