New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, I was selected in the moose draw this year and purchased a box of Winchester Supreme Elite XP3 shells for my 300 WSM.
On the last day of the hunt I got my chance at a nice bull, aprox. 70 - 80 yds away, I fired and hit him hard just behind the shoulder, he ran about 150 ft and went down. He was still holding his head up ( all I could see was the tips of his antlers).
A few minutes passed and he got to his feet and turned 180 degrees before I gave him another just behind the shoulder but now on the other side. He went down again, this time giving me a clear veiw to finish him.
After dressing him out and doing a little bit of replay I realised that there was no exit wounds from either shot. There was no blood or hair where he stood and no blood trail. Both shots were directly to the lungs.
This is the first time that I have used these shells and was wondering if this is what they are designed to do. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with these shells.

Once I learn how to post a pic, I will.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Hey all, I was selected in the moose draw this year and purchased a box of Winchester Supreme Elite XP3 shells for my 300 WSM.
On the last day of the hunt I got my chance at a nice bull, aprox. 70 - 80 yds away, I fired and hit him hard just behind the shoulder, he ran about 150 ft and went down. He was still holding his head up ( all I could see was the tips of his antlers).
A few minutes passed and he got to his feet and turned 180 degrees before I gave him another just behind the shoulder but now on the other side. He went down again, this time giving me a clear veiw to finish him.
After dressing him out and doing a little bit of replay I realised that there was no exit wounds from either shot. There was no blood or hair where he stood and no blood trail. Both shots were directly to the lungs.
This is the first time that I have used these shells and was wondering if this is what they are designed to do. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with these shells.

Once I learn how to post a pic, I will.
What Gr bullets are you using.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We had this happen 3 years ago and we checked the bullets on the internet and found the bullet used didn't expand properly inside of 100 meters. I'm not familiar with the bullet used but that may be the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seems strange to me to have no exit wound thru the ribs with a 300WSM. Did you find the bullets in the moose anywhere???

I use Barnes TSX which expand instantly, according to the Barnes DVD I have, and I put one thru both shoulder blades of a big cow at 440yds with the 300RUM and there was an exit wound, I think I'd be looking at different ammo if I were you.

Federal makes a Barnes TSX in their premium line, I guarantee you will have an exit wound with them!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Maybe you need a bigger gun? - JK

depends on how the bullet is contructed and the speed its shot at, but those Winchester Supreme Elite XP3, should have no issue penetrating.

depending on the range, if its close, they look like the may have a tendency to pass right though (without alot of expansion).

ive had barnes TSX do this from a 300win mag. close range, Moose didnt even act like it was hit. punched clean through (small hole).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Some bullets at close range that are designed to expand rapidly actually blow up on impact because the velocity is so great at close range. That of course would result in no exit wound. A bullet that does not expand would zip right through and leave a smaller but very noticeable exit. I think the problem is probably your bullet is overexpanding and blowing up. You'll probably find little pieces of jagged metal in your steak from time to time. Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I agree some explode... but those XP3 Winchesters dont like a bulllet that would fragment very easy - (Heck, they look like a cross between and E-tip and a partition..)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Who cares about the bullet
That is one fine bull! Congrats.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great lookin' bull! Congrats, NDD!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the Info. I never found any bullets, might have to invest in a metal detector that'll fit in the forks n knives drawer!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Seems to me from the pics your bullet(s) did a find job of controlled expansion, deliver hi-shock on impact and created shell shock and internal bleeding inside the body cavity, exactly what you want in a big game bullet (for deer I prefer an exit wound, 'cause they tend to run a ways).

Our moose this year was hit by one 180gr Winchester Supreme Accubond (my dad with my gun 300WSM) and one Federal Premium Hi-Shock in 180gr 30-06 (my brother's follow up 1 - 2 punch haha!).

The 300WSM was a complete pass through; lung shot quartering in at 75 yards.

The 30-06 was found underneath the hide on the opposite side behind the shoulder, perfect mushroom and perfect double lung broadside shot at 80 yards.

Moose hide is VERY elastic and will retain a fast projectile, even from a high caliber rifle, especially when a rib or a shoulder blade is hit upon entrance of the projectile in the animal. If you've hit the scapula going in, there is a good chance the bullet fragmented upon impact and created maximum shock to your moose.

Furthermore, I shot a similar sized bull as yours in 2008 using my 180gr Accubond in 300WSM at 147 yards. The bull was shot in the hump, never passed thru, found it on the other side....dropped like a sack of potatoes...

Either way, congrats on a great bull and enjoy the meat!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I used Power Max winchester @150 gr took out 1 lung and the top of the heart.
no exit but found a perfect mushroom in the off shoulder.
Power max is designed to retain 99% of its mass and deliver that energy into killing the animal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think you are just an amazing shot. Looks like you shot the moose and got a pass through. Then he got up and turned around and you shot him through the other side entering through the first exit hole and exiting through the first entrance hole lol.
CSI Woods edition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts