New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well ladies and gents...
Just wanted to say "It's here...so the waiting is over and on with the trip planning! My "bud" in Vermont says they got lots of snow down there but the turkeys are doing fine! Oh yes...I'm talking about my gun permit from the ATF. My fax machine went on the blink a week ago and not sure what was happening with my gun permit for my turkey hunt in Vermont, I called 'em in Virginia and asked about it.The pleasant young lady on the other end of the line checked and told me they had indeed tried to fax it out to me but the fax failed so I asked if she would send it out "snail Mail." No Problem...so...what does Wonsky say on this site?... Waaaaahhhhooooowwww? Sorry Wonsky if I got that wrong...This new language...Wonsky'eeze is a difficult language to master...hah, hah! Anyway...good luck to the rest of you turkey hunters waiting for permits...Ray

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats Ray! Was it a long and drawn out process to get your permits? I've never done any hunting stateside, but it seems like hunting in Maine and some of the other New England states is quite reasonably priced so I may look into it in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Wardo...
Process is reasonably quick these days...go on line and purchase hunting license from the state you want to hunt...print off.
Go to ATF forms site and print off the "application to import firearms form" Fax copy of hunting license and firearms form to ATF...could take four to six weeks according to ATF site info but usually takes a couple of weeks or so. My fax machine had gone on the blink so they couldn't fax my permit to me...I sent for my permit on Jan. 12th and would have had it in fourteen days if the fax they sent back had been successful...They sent it by reg. mail and I received it yesterday...not too bad...but when you are planning such a hunting trip...you are always anxious to get everything together. Wardo...you really should give wild turkey hunting a try! I really love it and it is addictive my friend! And...it's not expensive-...we're only going thru this life...once...so give it a shot! Ray

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks Wardo...
Process is reasonably quick these days...go on line and purchase hunting license from the state you want to hunt...print off.
Go to ATF forms site and print off the "application to import firearms form" Fax copy of hunting license and firearms form to ATF...could take four to six weeks according to ATF site info but usually takes a couple of weeks or so. My fax machine had gone on the blink so they couldn't fax my permit to me...I sent for my permit on Jan. 12th and would have had it in fourteen days if the fax they sent back had been successful...They sent it by reg. mail and I received it yesterday...not too bad...but when you are planning such a hunting trip...you are always anxious to get everything together. Wardo...you really should give wild turkey hunting a try! I really love it and it is addictive my friend! And...it's not expensive-...we're only going thru this life...once...so give it a shot! Ray
That's exactly what I want to do Ray, and I hope to get the chance next year. This year, I've got a baby (our first) on the way in May, so I'm kind of in lockdown on expenses and in Home Reno mode, everything else has to suffer

I was planning to buy a Bow prior to Spring Bear season and a new T/C prior to summer, but unfortunately, my wife has other plans

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Wardo...
I know what you're saying! Still, a new baby in the household is wonderful...and your life will never be the same! Congrats and best wishes for you guys. The new bow and planning a hunting trip and everything else will be there when you can afford 'em next year! Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
Still waiting for my permit from the ATF... I've never been a patient person

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whew! Got my permit in the mail today! My planning is done now too. Just gotta get the funds in order now!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats MegaBucks! When are you heading down and where to?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats MegaBucks! When are you heading down and where to?
I'm going May 15th-21st to Dillon's Gunsmoke Lodge in Brownville, Me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Megabucks...
Congrats on getting your permit! The waiting for that is the hardest part of the hunt! Well, kill a couple of big old Toms...or Jakes...and above all...have fun! Of course, we want to see pictures when you get back...so take lots! My son is going with me and our group this year...think there are gonna be five or six hunters altogether for the trip and we are all getting excited.It'll be extra special for me this year because my son who is my special hunting buddy, hasn't been able to do the wild turkey hunt in several years. Now, as soon as the weather warms some, we'll head off to the range with some turkey silhouettes to check patterns and get in some shooting practice. I just scoped my 12 ga. with a conventional 3x9 Bushnell heavy reticle to accomodaate my bad shootin' eye so i'm anxious to see how that will work out. I'm selling my new Bushnell Red dot/green dot Multi-reticle because I need the extra magnification for my bad eye. Won't be any "OMG,I can't believe I missed that bird" this year...I hope! Best to all you turkey hunters for a great spring hunt and lots of great memories after! Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, I'll be sure to take LOTS of pictures. I'm also going to try my hand at videotaping the hunt. We'll see how that works out... with my luck, it'll probably cost me a nice bird
Anywho - best of luck to everyone else that will be out there this spring chasing longbeards!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts