New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any tricks on how to have a buck (or two) come out during legal shooting hours during bow season? The ones in my area are like Dracula!!! only out during the night.

Thanks
Muzzyman

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Muzzyman...I had the same problem, but I got some advice that is working for me. I was told not to put out a lot of apples at once, but instead to only put out about ten to twenty pounds at a time. The theory is that if you put out tonnes of apples all at once, then the deer will realize that they have a large consistant supply of apples, which eliminates their need to compete for them, so they will just graze on your apples at their leisure under the security of darkness. Instead, if you keep putting out small amounts of apples, then it will make the deer think that the supply is limited, and they might start appearing early to get them before the other deer do (early bird gets the worm). Basically you would be tricking the deer in to believing that the supply is limited, which forces more competition between the deer, and ultimately they should start making riskier moves for the apples...like coming out in the daylight.

It worked for me, and now I'm seeing all kinds of deer near my stand during daylight hours.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If he is truly noctournal then I doubt anything you do with your apple pile will make him any less so. Now if you we're talking bears you may have a better chance. Once the rut kicks in you may have some luck as he follows a doe to the apples but a truly noctournal buck just doesn't move till full dark unless he has a hot doe during the rut. Now lots of bucks tend toward nighttime movement but will show up occassionally just after first light or just before dark, you just have to be patient and wait them out and hopefully you'll be on stand the evening or morning they decide to show, cause it may only happen once or twice during the season.
The less pressure the bucks/deer feels the more likely they will be to be out in daylight hours.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you have a stand in the area that is not at your apple pile those bucks will be up around late morning and noon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just like NB Bucks said.

Look for the closest and nastiest cover downwind from your apple pile. (A swamp is often best) Those nocturnal bucks will often bed in there, or at the least travel through there, scent checking for recepteve does that are visiting your bait. Obviously this is generally only true in the prerut/rut. This is a great spot to still hunt on a rainy day.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If he is truly noctournal then I doubt anything you do with your apple pile will make him any less so. Now if you we're talking bears you may have a better chance. Once the rut kicks in you may have some luck as he follows a doe to the apples but a truly noctournal buck just doesn't move till full dark unless he has a hot doe during the rut. Now lots of bucks tend toward nighttime movement but will show up occassionally just after first light or just before dark, you just have to be patient and wait them out and hopefully you'll be on stand the evening or morning they decide to show, cause it may only happen once or twice during the season.
The less pressure the bucks/deer feels the more likely they will be to be out in daylight hours.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Muzzyman...I had the same problem, but I got some advice that is working for me. I was told not to put out a lot of apples at once, but instead to only put out about ten to twenty pounds at a time. The theory is that if you put out tonnes of apples all at once, then the deer will realize that they have a large consistant supply of apples, which eliminates their need to compete for them, so they will just graze on your apples at their leisure under the security of darkness. Instead, if you keep putting out small amounts of apples, then it will make the deer think that the supply is limited, and they might start appearing early to get them before the other deer do (early bird gets the worm). Basically you would be tricking the deer in to believing that the supply is limited, which forces more competition between the deer, and ultimately they should start making riskier moves for the apples...like coming out in the daylight.

It worked for me, and now I'm seeing all kinds of deer near my stand during daylight hours.
This method also works well for bears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts