New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow hunters and gals,

Just curious to hear your version(input) on how many non-hunters you think apply for moose in the draw out of say 60,000 applications. And not to be a smart ass i have friends that apply that i would not call hunters, but it's where we are in this systeme.Do we need a pool application systeme? we had stories of people having 5 tags,3 tags and even on this site 4 tags for a group. A pool systeme would let's say 5-6 hunting buddies applying as one and 10,000 groups at 5 or 6 hunters= 1 in 3 chance of getting a tag. Once group has tag they decide who gets 2 firearms, please don't throw me under the bus. This is just an idea,what do you think?

10,000 groups applying for 3300 tags= 1 in 3 chance.

Thanks for your time..anticostiguide

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
We were discussing this the other nite at our Sportsman's event (which BTW was a grand success...)

I would take an educated guess that number is between 5 and 12,000 application. By non-hunters, I mean individuals that have not purchased a valid big game license (deer, bear or moose) in NB in the last five consecutive years. This for me would be a great screening agent and would wean out the grandpa sleeping underneath the stairs...

Not to go off topic, but I would much rather have my 16yr old apply for the draw than some distant uncle. If you refer to our hunting group (4 licenses from this site), all of the draw winners for last year would have qualified under the constraint listed above...we just hit the jackpot I guess last year. I guess it makes up for all those frustrating years I couldn't get to go.

With this flawed system, I guess we have to take the good with the bad and the ugly....so much room for improvement. A party hunting application would resolve EVERYTHING and augment the Province's General Revenues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What if you had to apply with your hunter/firearms safety cared #? would cut back on the "saved a moose" aplicants and who knows maybe if they took the course they might see that hunting isnt all that bad. Would also cut back the "uncle under the stairs". If youths have thier card and can purchase a deer tag then they should be able to jump in the draw.
Im not against the group draw, it is more or less what a bunch of us are doing now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would take an educated guess that number is between 5 and 12,000 application. By non-hunters, I mean individuals that have not purchased a valid big game license (deer, bear or moose) in NB in the last five consecutive years.
Not to go off topic, but I would much rather have my 16yr old apply for the draw than some distant uncle.
Bulls IMO I'd dare say its even higher then that pal...I wouldnt be so far to guess that its closer to half(20-30k)

As for the 16 yr olds, IMO if they are good enough to hunt deer, bear and buy Desgnated moose license, then they should be good enough to apply for it as well.
They put there foot in there own mouth with that one if you ask me!!
Thats our Govt though, always thinking backwards for NB

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Bulleye my idea wasn't to point anybody out i just remembered someone sharing their pics from last year's hunt which were great might i add, I don't blame anybody for taking 4 tags when they have a chance.Let's not forget all of us want a fair chance at a moose tag,and we have had the luck ourselves of getting 3 tags one year. But i can only talk for our group we would i liked it better going 3 years in a row with one tag, and other 2 tags to someone else.( lot more happy hunters?). And again mayby this isn't what yourself and your hunting friends see as a good thing? Mayby other hunting parties need more than one tag.

Would love to have my son who is 16 and has hunting cards have a chance!

Again thanks for the feedback,like to hear from other hunters

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that non-hunters shouldn't apply however, what defines a non-hunter? Everybody has to start out somewhere. If you take your firearms and hunter's safety course you would be consider a hunter then or have a few years of hunting smaller game under your belt?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Party hunts is for Quebecers.

Get rid of the non-hunters and get the indian harvest numbers and we'll have a better chance of getting a tag.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bulls IMO I'd dare say its even higher then that pal...I wouldnt be so far to guess that its closer to half(20-30k)
I think Bullseye is in the right ballpark with 5-12,000 non-hunters in the draw,maybe a few more?Yes it seems like everybody and their grandmother applies for the moose draw,but when you consider there is 50,000+ deer licences sold every year,I think that's a more accurate reflection of the number of "real" hunters in the province,although I'm sure a significant amount of those are "wife tags" as well?Maybe not so many "wife tags" these days,since most people are lucky to even to get one deer let alone two,but still,45-50000 is probably pretty close?It sure seems like 20-30,000 extra applicants Wonsky,but I think that's way too high of a guess?Also consider that there are alot of would-be moose hunters that apply in the northern zones that haven't even bought a deer licence in years because they have no deer to hunt and aren't interested in or maybe just not able to travel south to hunt deer,and it makes it even more plausable that not everybody that would like to hunt moose also hunts deer?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes you are prolly fairly accurate with them estimates...but I still feel its atleast 10k or a lil better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someone stated in another post about a ID#. I think that this is a great idea You should be given an id# when you buy your first license/pass hunter safety that you carry all your life.When you call in for your moose draw you should have to enter your number.If you havent had a license for years you would have to buy a big game or some other license to get your id and you wouldnt be able to apply till the next year unless you held a license the previous year, which would weed out the guys who would get grandma a varmint license so she could get into the draw. If you get drawn for a license you cant apply for a year, If you are a designate hunter you should drop back to the bottom of the list as if you were drawn. This would also decrease the number of people putting in non hunters and going as second gun because it effects their chances the next year. Im sure if everyone thinks about it they know someone who puts in everyone they know to increase their odds . So if you figure 1 in 5 hunters puts in one non hunter and probably 1 in 10 put in 2 non hunters, and say one in 20 puts in 3 or more that adds up quite a bit quickly. These are obviously not real stats but hypothetical numbers but id bet they arent far off.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My next door neighnour puts in 18 names every year. 17 are what most would call non-hunters. It's worked for him a few times but not the last couple of years. I know this won't be popular but put up the cost of applying to $20 and take it off the cost of successful applicants when the tag is purchased. Most people don't mind spending less than $10 for the application fee but $20?????

·
Registered
581 Posts
Y increase fees, everything is going up from heat to gas to groceries, hunting liscenses are way to high priced now let alone tacking on more fees. Simple soultion all the previous years hunting liscense go into draw and get picked from them! Problem solved

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
My next door neighnour puts in 18 names every year. 17 are what most would call non-hunters. It's worked for him a few times but not the last couple of years. I know this won't be popular but put up the cost of applying to $20 and take it off the cost of successful applicants when the tag is purchased. Most people don't mind spending less than $10 for the application fee but $20?????
Now there's a mathematician or a guy who plays the odds lol!

If you look at the Big Game reports, you will quickly see that from year to year you have a 6% chance of getting drawn in NB........or 1 in .....18!!!

Our 2 hunting camps have about 18 hunters applying religiously every year. Out of those harcore hunters, 4 came out last year, including a 2 peat in 3 years, a first timer in 26 years and a couple of repeats over the last 20. We've had droughts that lasted for a few years as well. Go figure it out, I sure as ol'heck have thrown the towel trying to make sense of it all...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here's the best way to go every year that I know of. A doctor, who shall remain nameless, uses his patients medicare numbers, with their permission, of course, and goes every year. He's had multiple tags many times and his buddies love his scam. One of his patients got drawn in zone 15 and the doctor wasn't familiar with the zone, so one of his buddies, who works with me, asked me if I knew much about zone 15 and where they might have a chance at a moose. Since I knew the patient and his son, I told them where to look. His son has hunted with me many times and is a good friend. I asked him why he wasn't taking his father and he told me the story.He was a bit pissed as his father had decided to quit hunting because of his age and declining health but the doctor convinced him to go again. His father had suffered a stroke and had lost a lot of his capabilities. Got his moose, never left the truck, and didn't see it until it was being loaded on the trailer. Guess you just have to be buddies with the right doctor. LOL

·
Registered
495 Posts
My understanding of a non-hunter applying would be someone that is trying to "save a moose". An anti, trying to get as many tags as they can.

To that, I have a solution.

In order to "apply" you have to go to a DNR approved range, and demonstrate your shooting skill at 100 yards. You of course have to supply your own rifle, and ammo. It will be a 5 shot group in a 4 inch target. All 5 shots have to print on the 4 inch target.

If you intend on harvesting with a bow, then you must shoot at 30 yards, 5 arrows, and they must print on a 3 inch target.

3 license types will be sold, Firearm/Bow/Both If you have a 'both' license, then you have to demonstrate shooting with both.

If you can't shoot, you don't get a license. Range fee is $50 and includes the registration fee.

This will accomplish a few things.
1) The hunter has to be able to harvest the animal in an efficient manner.
2) Anti's are unlikely to have legal access to a firearm.
3) The cost will deter casual applications from people that are applying for the sake of applying.

You have an authority at the range, that asks for your PAL/POL and your registration papers for the firearm. If you don't have them, then you have some explaining to do, since by law you are required to carry them when you have possession of your rifle.

The Anti, will have some explaining to do when they have a rifle confiscated, and they are arrested with a firearms offense.

I realize this is harsh, but it will weed out the 'non-hunters'.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It goes wayyyyy past just Anti's pal!!
This province has a real problem w/ non-hunters applying...and yes its the real hunters faults,after all they are the ones that are putting there names in for them, being that the lottery is so dam hard to get a tag and everybody wants to go moose hunting.
Get rid of the medicare system or not a dam thing is gonna change...$$$$ is all they give a Sh-it about!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am not sure I understand why you call a hunter applying a non-hunter.

I don't waste my time applying, since I simply cant get time off work. If I were to apply, it would be because I intend on hunting them.

So, I guess I am a bit of a loss as to why someone that intends on hunting moose would be considered a non-hunter.

Unless of course you mean that Joe Hunter gets his wife, 2 daughters and son to all apply in hopes of getting at least one tag. If that is the case, what I suggested above would still work.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Unless of course you mean that Joe Hunter gets his wife, 2 daughters and son to all apply in hopes of getting at least one tag.
Thats exactly what I'm referring too!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts