New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live just across the NS-NB border in the amherst area.last year i bought a non-resident varmit permit,but never got over to help thin some of the yotes.some other guys in our area were tinking of getting the non resident permit this year as well.does a non-resident hunter have to hunt with a guide,when hunting yotes?can you hunt with a resident who is not a guide or can you just go hunt where you have permission?i have family that live in the port elgin area where i would be hunting.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i live just across the NS-NB border in the amherst area.last year i bought a non-resident varmit permit,but never got over to help thin some of the yotes.some other guys in our area were tinking of getting the non resident permit this year as well.does a non-resident hunter have to hunt with a guide,when hunting yotes?can you hunt with a resident who is not a guide or can you just go hunt where you have permission?i have family that live in the port elgin area where i would be hunting.
Need a Guide 4 Shhhhhhhhore!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is nothing in the regulation booklet that you get about hunting yotes in reference to guides.it says non residents need a guide for big game but nothing on varmits.can a resident act as a guide for family member or other if no money is being paid for the service?we can get a temporary guide permit from our DNR to provide guide services for others as long as no money is exchanging hands.for non family non residents the max lenght for hunt can be 7 days,for family members the permit is good for whole season.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
there is nothing in the regulation booklet that you get about hunting yotes in reference to guides.it says non residents need a guide for big game but nothing on varmits.can a resident act as a guide for family member or other if no money is being paid for the service?we can get a temporary guide permit from our DNR to provide guide services for others as long as no money is exchanging hands.for non family non residents the max lenght for hunt can be 7 days,for family members the permit is good for whole season.
If your having trouble doubting us, here is a number you can call and ask them for yourself.
Its The Miramichi DNR Office...506 627 4050

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a guide 1 and can take 3 hunters (I can't carry though). If you know of a good place close to the border, send me a message. Buy me lunch and pay for my gas and I'll meet you in Sackville. I'll take pics/video.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a guide 1 and can take 3 hunters (I can't carry though). If you know of a good place close to the border, send me a message. Buy me lunch and pay for my gas and I'll meet you in Sackville. I'll take pics/video.
Geesh...I would of did it for just the Gas!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Fish and Wildlife act

20(1)Subject to subsections (3) and (4), and except as permitted by regulation, every non-resident shall be accompanied by a guide I while hunting or angling.
20(2)Every non-resident who hunts or angles while not accompanied by a guide I, as required under subsection (1), commits an offence.
20(3)A non-resident may hunt or angle while accompanied by a guide II
(a)where the non-resident is a former resident of the Province;
(b)where the non-resident is the sole owner of property within the Province which has an assessed value under the Assessment Act of ten thousand dollars or more;
(c )where the non-resident is an official guest of the Province; or
(d)where the non-resident is a personal guest or relative of the guide II by whom he is being accompanied.
20(4)Where, in the opinion of the Minister,
(a)guide services are not reasonably available; or
(b)special circumstances exist,
the Minister may authorize a non-resident to hunt or angle for a specific period of time and at a specific location within the Province while not accompanied by a guide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fish and Wildlife act

20(1)Subject to subsections (3) and (4), and except as permitted by regulation, every non-resident shall be accompanied by a guide I while hunting or angling.
20(2)Every non-resident who hunts or angles while not accompanied by a guide I, as required under subsection (1), commits an offence.
20(3)A non-resident may hunt or angle while accompanied by a guide II
(a)where the non-resident is a former resident of the Province;
(b)where the non-resident is the sole owner of property within the Province which has an assessed value under the Assessment Act of ten thousand dollars or more;
(c )where the non-resident is an official guest of the Province; or
(d)where the non-resident is a personal guest or relative of the guide II by whom he is being accompanied.
20(4)Where, in the opinion of the Minister,
(a)guide services are not reasonably available; or
(b)special circumstances exist,
the Minister may authorize a non-resident to hunt or angle for a specific period of time and at a specific location within the Province while not accompanied by a guide.
This legaleze sounds very confusing, perhaps I can simplify. A guide I is the professional style licence which entitles you to guide up to 3 clients, you are allowed to be paid for this but you are unable to hunt or fish( I think you are allowed to hook a fish for a client). A guide II which is also called a "licence to accompany" is designed for (1) friend or relative to be able to come and hunt with you.(I guess this would be the "guest" as referred to in 20(3)(d). You are not allowed to accept money for this. Any non-resident requires a licenced guide for fishing or hunting. The test is fairly simple from what I can remember when I took it 20 years ago. Name different types of trees , ask about different regulations. This test can be taken at the Dieppe office which would be the closest for your relatives "deadeyes". Not sure of the cost to take the test, the guide II licence itself is $5, I just renewed mine today. Once your relative gets this, $5 to renew, pretty good deal.

Beekeeper

·
Registered
614 Posts
Test is now 50 questions, but it's still quite easy since all the questions are based on the contents of your fish/hunt booklet. If you know your booklet, you'll have no problem.
Very handy to have this permit when visitors want to hunt or fish, and it's cheap, too.
Call ahead to make sure a warden is in the office as I believe the test must be administered by a CO.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Had my Guide I many years ago, just so I had a nice hat badge. I let it expire, wonder if I can just pay the $10 for the license, and re-get it, or if I have to rewrite, which is not an issue, but takes less time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had my Guide I many years ago, just so I had a nice hat badge. I let it expire, wonder if I can just pay the $10 for the license, and re-get it, or if I have to rewrite, which is not an issue, but takes less time.
I think it has to be within the last 10 years. Give them a call. I wrote the test 18 years ago and let it expire. Had to re-write last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts