New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on the Norinco 12 Gauge woods and waters. Im looken for a cheap shotgun that cant find any reviews on this one. I can get one full camo'd and all chokes new for 399.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well I had a Norinco semi a few years back, Bought it new 2 weeks before duck season, And she never even lasted the first day. So I did not have a good experience with norinco but, I havent used them all either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There was a guy a few months back on the NS site with a norinco .12 pump that fell apart before it ever fired a shot.Cabelas has the weatherby semi for $400 and change.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have a single shot break open .410 Norinco, it works good, has only had 6 or so shots through it so far

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would buy a used shotgun made by a reputable manufacturer in the same price range as a new norinco or spend a little more on a new shotgun made by a reputable manufacturer and save $$$ and aggrivation in the long run, rather than buy anything made by norinco.

I have had only bad luck with norincos and never heard anything good from anyone who has owned one in the past.

·
Registered
358 Posts
thanks guys appreciate the info... what about the mossberg 500 pump????
The Norinco 870 copies have a decent reputation with some folks, BUT for less than $250 you can buy a Maverick 88 12 gauge pump from Cabelas. For about $280 (I think) you can get the combo with the short and long barrels. Pretty hard to beat that.

I think there's a Remington 887 Nitro mag in the classifieds on here pretty cheap. They aren't as good as an 870 but they are pretty rust proof, supposedly - one of my top concerns with a shotgun in the places I hunt.

G

·
I'd follow wwjmbd's advice about buying a used gun.
Otherwise you're taking your chances with any of the cheaper guns. It seems you get either a good one or a canoe paddle.

There have been a lot of problems with the Remington 887, and even some problems with the newer Remington 870s. I've got an 18 year old 870, and a 5 year old 870, and the quality has definitely gone downhill. I had a jamming problem with the newer 870 and had to do some home gunsmithing on the bottom plate -- haven't had a problem since.

Remington has changed (cheapened) some of the steel they use, and I'm sure to make some of the punched parts they employ nothing more than a China Man with a piece of sheet metal in one hand, and a rock in the other.

The Mossberg 500 has a loyal following, and is often considered the best alternative to a cheap 870. Some people don't like them but if you find one you like, it's all the gun you'll need. A friend has a Stoeger P-350, and he says in hindsight that he would have paid the extra money for something better.

A cheap semi is often just that, and I think you're wasting your money unless you pay for a proven design. I've known a couple of guys to use cheaper semis, and they all had cycling problems. Some shoot only heavy loads well, some jam on any shell. I know that anything camo is way cooler, but the ducks don't care if your gun is colourd black or the latest camo.

If you're looking for a cheap gun, your safest bet is to buy a used gun you know hasn't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
They aren't as good as an 870 but they are pretty rust proof, supposedly - one of my top concerns with a shotgun in the places I hunt.
Dont be nervous pal & give er a lil rub with the ol 3 in 1 Cmon!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dont be nervous pal & give er a lil rub with the ol 3 in 1 Cmon!!
Man, I've been out sea duck hunting on days when the gun rusted before I even got back to the wharf... If I did that on a regular basis you bet I'd be buying an 887 or Benelli Nova or something like that.

I painted my Winchester 1300 this fall and haven't had a problem with it since, though. The factory finish on newer cheap shotguns is just terrible. I hunt in the same areas with an older Winchester 1500 and never see a speck of rust show up on that gun.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Man, I've been out sea duck hunting on days when the gun rusted before I even got back to the wharf... If I did that on a regular basis you bet I'd be buying an 887 or Benelli Nova or something like that.

I painted my Winchester 1300 this fall and haven't had a problem with it since, though. The factory finish on newer cheap shotguns is just terrible. I hunt in the same areas with an older Winchester 1500 and never see a speck of rust show up on that gun.
I was just razzin ya pal, settle

Ya them 870's sure do rust quick if your not careful!!
It has to do with the rough matte kinda finish they have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts