New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there all, im new to the northern area of NB (bathurst-campbellton area) and there is no deer season (or deer for that matter) up here so im thinking of trying my luck with yotes. Is there any number of coyotes up here??? and how would you go about hunting these critters? thanks for any feed back! BOB

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mouth calls, fox pro calls, bait, pretty much sums it up i think! Some other boys may have better game plans, I my self have only shot a couple dogs!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there big ol buck , I'm from bathurst , yea there's plenty up here , dont you worry your sweet little heart about that. I know I have at least 5 roaming around our land. I haven't really had the time to go out lately but I've seen em around. I've tried baiting , but I don't find it works half as good as calling. I bought a buck gardner predator call. It works ok. What do you mean no deer season? Deer hunting season just ended!!! There's various ways of hunting yotes and various places , a good place is the tree line of a field or a clearing in the woods. I've hunted in blindes or just wearing camo hiding in the tree line , but my favourite is being in a stand. Being a little late in the season to build a stand , i suggest you make yourself a blind and get scent cover. A mix of burlap and white sheets work good for a blind. Use mother nature to blend yourself in.

cheers!

good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thanks for the advice and i meant no deer season in zone 2 er whatever im in (campbellton) we went to saint quentin and got a buck...now all i gotta do is find a .223 or .22-250 and chase around some dogs this winter!

·
Registered
28 Posts
haha thanks for the advice and i meant no deer season in zone 2 er whatever im in (campbellton) we went to saint quentin and got a buck...now all i gotta do is find a .223 or .22-250 and chase around some dogs this winter!
awwwwwwwwww of course! you campbelton boys are in zone 2! The way i see it , if you want a good "cheap" starter rifle you have 3 choices.

choice #1 savage edge retail on cabelas (non-camo 369$)if your a camo kinda guy like me your gonna want to get the camo one wich is 399$

choice #2 Stevens 200 wich is ... I think 329$ at the gun dealer in MC Adams

choice #3 savage FCX wich is .... I beleive around 50$ more then the edge.

Now keep in mind that these aren't for the guys that have a cooper kind of taste. THey are cheap rifles ... but accurate , and accuracy speaks. I would recommend to stay away from teh edge , I'm not trying to say it's a bad rifle but ... if you want more details go read "savage rifles" thread in rifles section , i wrote a post. I would recommend either the stevens 200 wich is a real well made gun , trigger is a little heavy what what do you expect right? you can get an after market trigger ( I can't remember the name right now of the trigger) or the savage FCX. They feel more "right" then the edge. Pick up a savage edge and you will know what i mean. They just feel cheap.

cheers

·
Registered
181 Posts
LOTS of coyotes along the road to resources. Was out grouse hunting before the season closed when there was a couple inches of snow down and the tracks of coyotes stalking rabbits were everywhere!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts