New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there

I have got a pretty straightforward question, and seeing as the DNR is closed today thought maybe someone here could shed some light on this.

I am a non resident (from Ontario) visiting relatives outside the Hampton area. Some family friends are having problems with coyotes coming out of a large bluff on their yard (they own the bluff, and a surrounding 300 some odd acres) I have been given exclusive permission by the landowners to get rid of these coyotes as they have horses and pester them year round.

I have taken hunters education in Ontario, but never applied for an Outdoors Card (card that tags are applied to) and intend to hunt either with a 22-250, or 12 gauge.

I 'technically' have proof of hunters ed with a badge i got upon graduation that i keep on a pack I take with me hunting.. my question is this, can I take coyotes under the nuisince animal act WITHOUT an Outdoors Card or definitive proof of my hunters ed? do I have enough proof currently with the badge? and if not, can I purchase a bird/varmint non resident to take them? all as being a non resident?

Thanks a bunch for your time!

·
Banned
348 Posts
You need to buy a non-resident hunting license and be accompanied by a guide 1 or 2 (2 - basically a hunter with a guide license to hunt with an out of province hunter). You will just need to show proof of hunter's education or a former hunting license.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to buy a non-resident hunting license and be accompanied by a guide 1 or 2 (2 - basically a hunter with a guide license to hunt with an out of province hunter). You will just need to show proof of hunter's education or a former hunting license.
Thanks for the reply

So what you are saying is that the nuisance animal act is not applicable to non residents?
Or perhaps I'm confused about the act itself

I called a local DNR office and was told by an officer there that so as long as I am on private property with landowner permission with a firearm registered to me that it is perfectly fine - though on the flipside I have heard from other hunters that the non resident licence is required

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not as a nuisance control operator being paid, see regulation...
http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regs/f-14-1reg.htm

Now as a designate of the landowner, do you meet the criteria....refer to F+W act above...

34(4) Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the
owner or occupant of private land, or a person who would
be entitled to hold a licence issued under this Act or the
regulations and is designated by an owner or occupant of
private land may, in accordance with the regulations, hunt,
on any day and at any time, except during the night, or trap,
snare, remove or relocate on any day and at any time any
wildlife listed in subsection (5) that is found under, on or
above that private land, where necessary for the prevention
of
(a) damage to private property, or
(
injury to owners of private property or owners or
occupants of private land.
Fish and Wildlife Act Chap. F-14.1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, so then as a designate of the landowner, and not for hire, I do meet the criteria?

The only thing I am still confused about would be whether or not I actually need either a hunting licence/tag to do so

Cheers

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hey cftoa. If ya need some help let me know i have an eletronic caller and a rabit decoy that you could put to use, and with 2 gunners you could take em out faster lol. Let me know Im in the hampton area as well

·
Registered
780 Posts
CFTOA;
You don't actually have to hold a licence, under this section of the Fish and Wildlife Act you just have to be "entitled to hold a licnece"....meaning you can't have a conviction, you must meet hunter ed requirements, etc. As long as you could legally hold a licnece you're OK. Biggest thing you might want to do is have a transfer permit so that you can cart your firearm to and from your place to the property - that's the only legal requirement. Discharge distances also don't apply if you are killing nuisance coyotes under 34.4....but the "safe use of a firearm" under the Canadian Criminal Code always applies....so make sure your pointing and discharging the firearm in a safe direction.
Other than that, your good to go from what I read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts