New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby dropped by work today to show me an old compound bow that a fella from his work has.

I'm trying to figure out how old this thing is. It looks ancient!
It's a Bear. The only thing that I see clearly marked on it, is that its 39" long.

Is there anything else to look for on it, to give me some indication how old this bow is?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
CG, It is probably either a Bear Whitetail or Whitetail 2, or a Black tail. I just did a quick search. and the whitetail had 4 pulleys. The Blacktail had only 2 The pulleys (or wheels if you will) they were attached to the limbs with brackets.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I guess that on the four pulley model the inner wheels were for weight adjustment. Apparently there was also a Bear Polar LTD which came out in 1976, Then the Whitetail hunter came out in 77, and the Black-tail Hunter in 1978. The Whitetail 2 was 29 inches long. There are probably other models as well. And they probably changed these models slightly each year as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I've cleaned more dust off the bow...it's a whitetail. The ol bow actually looks to be in really good shape.
Don't think I'd trust the string on it though...the fella that owns the bow isn't quite sure when the last time it was fired...maybe 20 years ago! lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Archerynut, I think you're right on the weight adjustment being on the inner wheels. They are marked "A", "B", "C" ect.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a pic of the ol bow...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Archerynut, I think you're right on the weight adjustment being on the inner wheels. They are marked "A", "B", "C" ect.
Yep! That must be it! Your probably wise to not shoot it, without at least getting a shop to look it over, and possibly restring it. Sumthin might just "pop" off and fly in your direction LOL!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
"WOW" that bow "IS" in "Darn good" shape! I think if it had new strings cables it would be very usable! The inner cables are coated steel aren't they? I don't know if anyone still makes them or not though. They have the old string loop holders on the ends. Like my old Browning bows. Can't remember what the official name for them is.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep! That must be it! Your probably wise to not shoot it, without at least getting a shop to look it over, and possibly restring it. Sumthin might just "pop" off and fly in your direction LOL!
LOL...No worries on me shooting it!

Hubby on the other hand, thought that he'd like to try shooting it. I advised him it prob wouldn't be a good idea!!

He did draw it back though...I knew he would...how many men actually listen to what women say anyway!

I kept my distance...just in case...

Heck, I didn't want to get hurt knowing my new bow has finally been shipped and should arrive in Fredericton tomorrow or friday at the latest!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yup definity one of the Bear whitetails
I thought the original whitetails had 6 pulleys?

Just about every achery course I've helped with someone has shown up with one that they picked up at some garage sale for $50.00.

One young fellow showed up with one a couple years ago an couldn't even hit the backstop. I gave him a little coaching and adjusted it for him as much as I could barring that the std. 30" draw was too long and he passed his shooting test with it. They have killed many a deer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Like I said CG, That bow is probably very "safe" to shoot. As long as the cables and string are in good shape and not frayed. Not a bad starter bow.

Well "Holy Toledo"!
Your bow is actually "that close" to being in those impatient hands???

Folks...you better clear a path at the bow range this weekend! Cause arrows are gonna be flyin! LOL!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bow does appear to be in good shape, but I think I'd have someone look at it & have it restrung before trying it out...just to be on the safe side.

I think hubby finally got the "bow bug". Had him out shooting for the first time last night.
Not with THIS bow...but with another Bear!

Think it's time I start re-arranging the gun room to make room for my new hobby. The new Craze is almost here...eyeing a recurve now...Ty's planning on buying a compound....and apparently this bow that I'm posting about belongs to me too...

I didn't realize that the previous owner was doing housecleaning and told Ty that if he brought home to show me, he didn't want it back!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I said CG, That bow is probably very "safe" to shoot. As long as the cables and string are in good shape and not frayed. Not a bad starter bow.

Well "Holy Toledo"!
Your bow is actually "that close" to being in those impatient hands???

Folks...you better clear a path at the bow range this weekend! Cause arrows are gonna be flyin! LOL!
Me? Impatient?

Can't wait!! I've been practicing my shooting with a recurve the last week...just so folks wouldn't be scared if they came into AA when I'm trying out the new bow!!

Plan to head back to Memramcook again tomorrow night for one more night of shooting recurve before I get my hands on the new "baby"!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts