New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ladies and gents...
I just read the "parting shot" that "GS" made on his profile after reading some other posts by members. I was curious as to what was going on and why GS had been banned from the site. Personally, there isn't too much that offends me, especially when it is simply someone else's opinion on a subject. I know everyone has opinions and usually they are the result of incidents or influences in or on that person's life. If you feel negative about something, it is probably because you have had a negative experience relative to the subject and likewise, if you support something positively, it usually is because some thing or some one has had a positive influence on that subject, relative to you. I really enjoy this site and listening to and offering opinions on various subjects...because I love hunting and respect others and understand that we all have an opinion...whatever it may be. What I dislike about this site is the Secrecy and annonimity that abounds. I believe it can and does contribute to some vicious verbal assualts by some members on the opinions of others.I have talked with many members of my community and area...Keswick ridge, Zealand, burtts Corner, Hainesville areas, about this site and many who might have joined the site as a member were discouraged from doing so or at least from offering opinions on the site just by some of those aggressive and negativee responses by some members.In my case, I enjoy discussing issues that affect our game and our sport of hunting. I may not agree with your take on the subject...just as you may not agree with my stance...but it should be done with mutual respect. I am not afraid to use my own name Ray Dillon, with my site name, Predator One...nor am I afraid you'll come hunting where I live...Keswick Ridge.Now, this is my "opinion" ...If a man honestly/really believes what he says...his opinion on a subject, he should have the intestinal fortitude to give his real name and location where he lives.Nobody's gonna come hunt you down for what you believe and say. Hiding behind a pseudonym,I can say some pretty bad things to you...but by using my own name and location,with an audience watching and reading in the wings, I might just decide to disagree with you...as a gentleman. Do we really need to carry on a discussion while hiding from each other in the woods? Ray Dillon...Keswick Ridge

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well said!! I agree totally!

Jaret Lewis...Intervale NB

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm with you Ray, if a person has to use their real name and real location (not their address but the area of the prov where they live) then it moves the conversations to a much more polite level. I'm on a US waterfowl site www.duckboats.net and it is mandatory to use your real name or some variation of it with your real name being in your profile. There is some good natured bantering going on but folks are always polite. CBC is having the same problem with their comments below their new stories, people hiding behind screen names and doing nothing but mouthing off and stirring up [email protected]#.

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm with you Ray, if a person has to use their real name and real location (not their address but the area of the prov where they live) then it moves the conversations to a much more polite level. I'm on a US waterfowl site www.duckboats.net and it is mandatory to use your real name or some variation of it with your real name being in your profile. There is some good natured bantering going on but folks are always polite. CBC is having the same problem with their comments below their new stories, people hiding behind screen names and doing nothing but mouthing off and stirring up [email protected]#.

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB
x2
Couldn't agree more, Bill!
It's easy to sit behind a computer screen and say things that you normally wouldn't say to someone's face!
Nothing wrong with a good ol debate....interesting reading ppl's different opinions. Life would be boring if we all agreed on everything! hahaha

But there's really no need for some of the name calling! speaking of which...why do ppl keep getting me mixed up with GS???? LMAO

Lisa Rossiter
Albert County, NB

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh, but then you would have been denied the benefit of the commentary contributed by GS over the past 4 months !!!

·
Banned
348 Posts
I don't agree with using our real name because there are a few members with high profile jobs that positively contribute to the site. If they had to use their real name we would lose them, which would not be good. Just another 2 cents added to the jar

·
Registered
627 Posts
I totally agree with Predator One, but only in a perfect world. Unfortunately using your real name on any public forum opens the door for verbal abuse and who knows what else. If everybody had to use their real name it may be different. On this site and all the sites I visit, I'm Sako, and if necessary would remove myself if it came to using my real name. Some members on here, know who I am and those members are people I know and trust.As for posting something to deliberately tick someone off, that wouldn't be me. I was a moderator on another outdoor site for a few years and I can tell you it's a thankless and necessary job. There is always someone that disagrees with your decision. As for GS, I'm surprised it took so long. The first racist remark should have been enough to merit a warning and deleting of the offending post. It may have defused the situation that has occurred. I did enjoy some of the posts and found some very informative . Too bad that some people don't live by the golden rule, treat others as you'd have then treat you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If a man honestly/really believes what he says...his opinion on a subject, he should have the intestinal fortitude to give his real name and location where he lives. Nobody's gonna come hunt you down for what you believe and say. Hiding behind a pseudonym,I can say some pretty bad things to you...but by using my own name and location,with an audience watching and reading in the wings, I might just decide to disagree with you...as a gentleman. Do we really need to carry on a discussion while hiding from each other in the woods? Ray Dillon...Keswick Ridge
X1000000000000000000000000000000000000

If your scared to give an opinion in your real name then dont give one in a "screen name"

Tim Daley from St Stephen. Just like it says on my profile thing. Hasnt been any problems in the last several years with people knowing who nbguide is. Never will be either.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've never had a problem with people knowing who I am...or expressing my opinion either come to think of it

I'm more likely to be a little more "direct" in person than I am on the computer. Here I get to write it and then think about it, modify, rewrite, etc. before I hit send, in life I have a tendency to tell you what I really think right off the bat. The first 10 years during my performance review my manager always said I lacked any tact when dealing with people. After 10 years I think he just stopped bringing it up. My wife believes I am just responding better to her training

·
Registered
925 Posts
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting or something. Hi my name is Shane Brewer and I have a serious addiction that will never be cured. But the first step is admitting I have a problem. Step 1 complete.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting or something. Hi my name is Shane Brewer and I have a serious addiction that will never be cured. But the first step is admitting I have a problem. Step 1 complete.
LMAO....Too funny!!
I think we all have the same addiction, nbbucks
now the next question...what is step 2?!? Should we all take a day off work and go hunting?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Unfortunately using your real name on any public forum opens the door for verbal abuse and who knows what else.
I agree. It's nothing personal, but I don't know most of you, not that I don't want to. I am always open to meeting new people and making friends.

As a computer tech/geek, my complete real name will never be visible in a public forum. I know the risks all too well of personal information and its protection, I deal with it daily.

It's different if you have a business need to have your name known.

My employer may not agree with my personal feelings, and having my real name on a forum is not advertising I wish to provide.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bow-Man, I'm glad you brought the personal security issue up. Here's where I have the problem with everybody "coming out"..... that doesn't sound good but. LOL If you were a thief with half an ounce of brain matter left in your drug-riddled mind what would you steal that would have fair value on the street and be reasonably easy to sell??? Guns sell like hotcakes. So you try to figure out who has guns. Can't get into the gun registry, too bad there weren't any such thing as hunting sites. That would make it easy. Try the search... Holy @#$#, there's plenty of them. N.B. hunting, lets try this one. Wow, these guys have names, address, everything we need..... This may sound far-fetched but is it? Call me paronoid or whatever but I work on the road and anybody can break into my house when I'm not there. Of course they'd have to get by my security system. But even 120 pound dogs aren't bulletproof or thinking about their stomachs. I'll stay Sako, unknown address,yes I have guns, but how to find me ? Easier to go with the people that posted everything needed.... something to think about.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What happened?......
I think it got a bit LOT out of hand in the "No family could eat 3 moose thread". Things were said that simply should never be said. I have no idea what the parting shot reference is to, but I notice that there are now a lot of missing posts.

The thread should have been warned at the first offense, and muted at the second. People on here should understand there is a person on the other end of the screen, and be more considerate in their comments.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The thread should have been warned at the first offense, and muted at the second. People on here should understand there is a person on the other end of the screen, and be more considerate in their comments.
Yeah it got way out of hand,I know everyone got an opinion,which is great ,but some remarks should be kept to oneself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts