New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellas (and ladies),

The rifle season is getting nearer with every passing day and I have yet to find a big enough time slot to build a stand in my prospective area. I have scouted (hard) however and found a few trees that will suit the purpose.

Just wanted to get some feedback on what you folks have experienced with respect to stand success and stand height.

How high is high enough for you to feel confident that you are both out of the wind and sight profile of a deer?
I'm thinking 12-15 feet but I've seen anything from three feet to death traps 30 feet up.

FR

·
Registered
271 Posts
depends on the terrain really, where I hunt I'm only about 8 feet up but I'm in the middle of a semi dense woods so being any higher wouldn't help

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd say the 12' to 15' range is ideal.I'm sure that higher would be effective no doubt, but I've had good luck out of the 12' to 15' stands so i don't feel the need to lug all that lumber an extra 10' up a tree and it's 10' less that I have to climb in the dark with my gear.I once had a nice doe and a little button buck walk up under my stand and bed down in the snow right below me for about 2 hours,while I had some coffee out of my thermos and had my little propane heater runnin'.They didn't appear to smell or here a thing and the floor of stand was about 12' high.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My wife and I use 20 foot stick ladders, and hanging stands. I usually put each stand about a foot or two below the top rung. This is so we have something to hold onto when entering them. I have in the past used a couple of tree steps above the ladder and put the stand at 20 feet. One year I shot a buck at 15 yds, from 22 feet up a cedar. I think 15 feet is the optimum height. Remember that when bowhunting, if you go on up to say 30 feet, it will make close shots on a deer that much tougher an angle.
You also have to pick your terrain carefully. If you pick a tree in a low spot like half way down a ridge or hill, or in a depression. You may still be on the deers level. And they could pick up your scent quite easily.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i like to be 12-14 ft up but alot has to do with the terrain you are hunting and what you feel comfortable with
I have been 20 ft up but i found that is too high!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I prefer 18-20 feet. You can get away with more, both with scent and movement. I trust to my harness when shooting so even straight down doesn't bother me although I would let him walk out a bit before shooting, no good reason not to wait for a better angle. I had one stand 30 feet up one time but I didn't like it, felt like a rowboat in a hurricane when the wind blew.

Rifle hunting I'd put the stand at whatever height gave me the best view of the surrounding area.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just remember to invest in a harness! Trust me I learned the hard way, and I am stuck like this at age 25, definatly not worth it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas.

I'm hunting up in the Welsford area and there are guys up there putting portables at 30 feet. One fall and you're a gonner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts