New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here see any owls during the hunting season? I seen around 8 of them this year. Had one land on a branch 10 yards from me. Seemed like every second or third time I went out i would see one. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing any, or if my area just has a couple kickin around.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one fly right in my shooting lane directly at me and land in the tree about 10 yards from me one evening and sit and watch me for about 10 minutes, it was pretty cool, my wife and I saw one Chritmas eve around 4pm, it flew across the highway right in front of us I had to let off the gas thought I was going to hit it in Musquash by the govt. garage

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was stump-sitting in late October during the last few minutes of legal light and it was pretty dark.
I was starting to doze off when all of a sudden there came a blood-curdling shriek from only about 20 feet away. I thought for sure my hunting buddy had fallen on his knife and disembowled himself, or else he was killing a child by torturing it first. What an unnerving noice! The stuff nightmares are made of!
By now, you know it was an owl. At that time, I had no clue what it was and I leaped to my feet and looked all around. I couldn't see anything. Then the shriek came again, this time right near me. I just about crapped my pants and mister I am NOT joking.
Finally I could see this owl in a tree. It swooped around my head, back and forth, a few times, shrieking like a banshee.
I've been blessed to see lots of owls in my time but I've NEVER heard one make a noise like that in my life and as God Himself is my witness, I made a few hasty promises to Him if only I made it back to camp alive, lol!
I thought the Dungarvon Whooper itself had come for its revenge!

·
Registered
26 Posts
perhaps you'll notice a correlation between the increase in owls in your hunting area this year and a decrease in the amount of squirrels next year.

·
Registered
627 Posts
This past Tuesday I was on my way back from Moncton and since I had the time I figured I'd take the old Trans Canada back to Fredericton and see if there were any hawks around. Saw 2 owls on the side of the road, One on a fencepost and the other in a tree next to the river. I can't remember ever seeing an owl hunting at 2:30 in the afternoon. I wonder if it may have been because of the cold at night and the mice not moving around much.I had my camera with me but I left it in the truck overnight and the batteries were dead. Could have gotten some excellent pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts