New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I passed on this buck this morning at 11:00 am. Gotta let the little bucks go if you want to shoot big ones. He came out alone and about 100 yards away crusing a tree line next to an old cut. The does that he was with last night were not with him.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Not a lot of guys would have passed him up.

Thumbs up to you BuckNut for selective hunting.

Hope you see him next year with 30 inches of extra antler on his head....might be tuff then eh?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I give you credit for backing up your words... I know if he showed up at my stand..probably different result as I am more of a meat hunter than antler hunter.
looks to have a thick neck!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thumbs up for ya, in my area, if I passed him up (assuming I saw one that big), he'd just get taken by someone else, if it's got horns, it gets shot around home. Maybe a point restriction would give the young bucks a chance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was too mesmerized by the apple tree and pile to notice the buck...LOL

·
Registered
634 Posts
There's one in the area that is crapping tennis balls! And you wouldn't believe how much a buck can grow from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. I have pics of one that was shot last year where I shot my buck and he was a 140 plus deer. The year before maybe 110 inches.

I passed on a 6 pointer on Sunday. I just moved back into this old area on Saturday afternoon since the spot where I shot my buck last year dried up. This is a spot that is hunted very hard. I've been passing on bucks here for years only to stop hunting it altogether for the last 2 years because I wasn't seeing anything big. And I had a monster to crack last year in another spot. It seems the big guys move into this area the week after deer season. I've watched 3 shooter bucks chase one particular doe the saturday after deer season about 6 years ago. It wasn't hard to grunt the biggest one to within 15 yards from me when I was there to check a camera. He would have went over 150 inches. I just hope a bigger one is cruising the area. Something tells me there is a nice one hooked up with a mature doe considering I am seeing 2 fawns all alone for the last few days.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Hey BuckNut,

I spoke with Gary Donald, editor of Big Buck Magazine last week and we talked about your feature ''The Quest for a Legend''.

I have 2 issues that were sent to me with your story, one of which is in mint condition, so if you want it as a keepsake, it's yours, just pmail me. I'm down your way quite often...

Just got his 2 DVDs Where Legends Roam 1 and 2 and I'm gonna devour that in the next couple of days....good motivational seminar

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My buck last yeart scored 167 and change Gross Non-Typical. For some reason the article shows 171 and change. I think Jeff (writer) added the 4 inches and change from side to side differences to the gross total thinking I gave him the net score.
Either way I could care less on the score. That buck was my passion for several years and the character alone makes him my best ever and ever will be buck. I doubt I will ever chase a monster like that for as many years. I just wish my grandfather would have been around to see what I took from the back ridge of his property.

Bull's Eye. don't worry about it. Thanks anyway but Gary sent me 15 copies free of charge.
I have several that are still mint

·
Registered
726 Posts
My buck last yeart scored 167 and change Gross Non-Typical. For some reason the article shows 171 and change. I think Jeff (writer) added the 4 inches and change from side to side differences to the gross total thinking I gave him the net score.
Either way I could care less on the score. That buck was my passion for several years and the character alone makes him my best ever and ever will be buck. I doubt I will ever chase a monster like that for as many years. I just wish my grandfather would have been around to see what I took from the back ridge of his property.

Bull's Eye. don't worry about it. Thanks anyway but Gary sent me 15 copies free of charge.
I have several that are still mint
Nice Score. It is a heck of a story to hear. Amazing a buck can live that many years without getting whacked. I bet he had some close calls before your final call.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not amazing, a number of bucks die from old age, at least where I hunt...Mind you that's cause I'm not a great hunter

This one...

And this one probably will, unless some lucky SOG gets him

1 - 16 of 16 Posts